JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Nevada Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/)
-   -   Hi my first post. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/hi-my-first-post-1673633/)

Interactive 10-11-2013 12:53 PM

Hi my first post.

Hi everyone.

So with my first post I'd like to say Hi. Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to contribute in some meaningfully way but for now I'm going to ask a rather newb question.

But first I have a stock 94' ZJ 4X4 and I believe it has the NP242 transfer case, I'm fairly new to wheeling but I have about 15 years of racing and riding Mt Bikes not sure if it will help but I understand the benefits of picking a good lines verse bad lines and I'm good at reading the trails from a bike. How will this help from the seat of a Jeep again we'll see. I'm not going into this thinking I know anything from anything just because I already play in the desert just wanted to provide a little background.

Okay onto the questions.
What trails can I tackle in a stock ZJ? I don't mind a challenge and soon it'll be a third car for us so I don't mind if it gets beat up.
I was thinking about heading out to Burro Wash in the next few weeks, is this doable in a stock ZJ?

Thanks in advance :2thumbsup:

ksturgio 10-11-2013 12:59 PM

Welcome man. Last time I did burrow I did it with my then stock zj. I did have 31 BFG a/t's on it not highway tires. I would think you would be fine but may want to go with someone who has done it just in case. Being the desert it's always best to wheel with another vehicle.

Interactive 10-11-2013 01:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking about going in two weeks or so, but midweek probably a Wednesday.
I can't remember for the life on me what tires or size I've got on there, but there not highway tires? I'm drawing a blank :rolleyes:
I'll post up when I get on concrete date.

matthew900 10-11-2013 01:27 PM

Welcome!

jokerchief462 10-11-2013 02:09 PM

Welcome to the forum. Did Burro wash two weeks ago only two bad spots. Yes no problem stock just pick the right line.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

Interactive 10-11-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokerchief462 (Post 16758009)
Welcome to the forum. Did Burro wash two weeks ago only two bad spots. Yes no problem stock just pick the right line.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

Thank you very much that's what I was hoping to hear. :thumbsup:

sirhk100 10-11-2013 04:08 PM

Wouldn't do it by yourself but I wouldn't hesitate to take a stock jeep thru potato ridge once it's legal again. considering I watched a stock titan go thru it with minimal body damage I'd think a stock zj should cruise thru it with zero damage. Don't do it solo though being new to the hobby. You'll want someone to help pick lines.

Personally... Being new to the scene, head out with some others and have them spot you thru the sections. See where they run you thru the trails and you'll start to pick up on the reasoning and why. General rule of thumb, put the biggest rocks under your tires cause you generally have the most clearance under your rocker panels. Not much mechanically to damage under there. Rocker guards are your friends...

matthew900 10-11-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirhk100 (Post 16761193)
stock titan go thru it with minimal body damage ...

Still makes me cringe every time I think about it but the wife had fun.

I agree the number one rule is never go by yourself. You just never know what might happen.

sirhk100 10-11-2013 04:16 PM

While the damage was painful to watch, it truly was minimal in the grand scheme I would say... I still think the fix involves a plasma and a saw z all right behind the cab... Start at the top of the bed and work your way straight downward.

Dr. Marneaus 10-11-2013 04:27 PM

Greetings. Welcome to our raggedy *** group of guys.

Some of us have jeeps, some of us dont, some of us wheel, some of us just use their 40 year old POS to drive to the grocery store and look pretty.

Raptor0206 10-11-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus (Post 16761817)
Greetings. Welcome to our raggedy *** group of guys.

Some of us have jeeps, some of us dont, some of us wheel, some of us just use their 40 year old POS to drive to the grocery store and look pretty.

:agree:

Interactive 10-11-2013 06:42 PM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, it's good to find a board that has active members.

ksturgio 10-11-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interactive
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, it's good to find a board that has active members.

The Vegas section sees action multiple times everyday.

dmgiff 10-11-2013 11:31 PM

Cuz that's how we roll. An' ****.

gregaf3 10-12-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew900 (Post 16761425)
Still makes me cringe every time I think about it but the wife had fun.

I agree the number one rule is never go by yourself. You just never know what might happen.

I know the feeling, did you see the scratch on my flare from that trip?

Also welcome to the forum.

The time now is 12:55 AM.