Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread - Page 94 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #1396
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
A doctor of hospitality? Lol, lets see how many lives you save and sicknesses you cure.
Hey, doctor of hospitality administration! Don't you have a hole to dig or some trees to plant or something? Haha

MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #1397
Warboar_21
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I have a bunch of rag tag reloading equip that I pieced together or was given over the past year or so. I currently have an old RCBS Partner Press. I have not owned a scale or powder dispenser because I was loading cowboy type loads (.45-70 and .38spl that were nowhere near max charge) and I was using powder scoops to accomplish that. That works well for pinking ammo. However, with the .223 and the cost of match ammo, I decided to start getting more precise on the reloading front, so now I can make match quality ammo for the guns that demand it. I likely will never reload in large volumes because it's not worth my time to load plinking ammo in stuff that isnt high dollar to begin with. The .45-70 loads i make save me about $1.25 per shot when doing reduced power loads (405gr cast boolits at about 1100FPS) and about $.75 per shot when doing full power loads (300gr jacketed at about 1900FPS), so that's definitely worth it. anyway, Im excited now that I have some quality tools to do the job. just gotta decap, swage, resize, teim, chamfer and deburr about another 1000 5.56 cases and then I can get around to actually reloading them and working up some good loads. oh joy.
What powder are you using for your 45-70? For my light loads I use 12-15grs of unique with a 405gr bullet. For the full load I use Reloader 7 and a 450gr paper patched boolits. I cast my own so it costs me even less to shoot.
Warboar_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #1398
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

And, you never know, maybe I'll figure out a way to redesign restaurants to help relieve the paranoia of you freakos on here, when dining out! Some may say that cured Powr and your's "sickness!"
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #1399
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post
And, you never know, maybe I'll figure out a way to redesign restaurants to help relieve the paranoia of you freakos on here, when dining out! Some may say that cured Powr and your's "sickness!"
somehow all seats must face the entrance!

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #1400
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboar_21 View Post
What powder are you using for your 45-70? For my light loads I use 12-15grs of unique with a 405gr bullet. For the full load I use Reloader 7 and a 450gr paper patched boolits. I cast my own so it costs me even less to shoot.
you got it. I'm using around 12 or 13 grains of unique these days, but i have a bunch of trail boss too that I'm going to burn through before the unique. I dont recall off the top of my head what the trail boss load is, but its similar to the unique, it's a very "fluffy" powder.

On the full power stuff I've been running IMR 4198 and I think I have some 3031 (can you tell how recently I've loaded any? haha).

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 02-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #1401
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG
Hey, doctor of hospitality administration! Don't you have a hole to dig or some trees to plant or something? Haha
And hey! I've examined those before I am the one who points where to dig! Lol look I even took a picture of what I do at work today when I was on a new job site.

image-479030688.jpg

Quote:

Unread 02-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #1402
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Damn, you have a hell of a tan and shaved the beard? Who is taking the picture? Haha. Good job spray painting the dirt, keep up the good work!
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #1403
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboar_21
With 5 R rifling the lands are radiused. One of the benefits is it will reduce copper fouling and reduce drag. It is also said that it will not cut into the jacketing of the bullet as much as button rifling and it will help maintain its BC and reduce deformation. That part I don't know how true it is. I do know my buddies Remington 700 5R .308 shoots bug hole 5 shot groups. It did this straight from the box with factory match ammo. Both he and I were able to shoot under half inch 5 shot groups.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm pretty much set on the Savage, hoping it stays in stock until I get the cash
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #1404
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I know a lot of folks (myself included for the most part) don't feel comfortable answering questions about firearm ownership with their Doctor, but what do you do when your Doc tells you that you should get a Ruger mini 14? I wonder if the wife will approve of the purchase since it is "doctors orders" after all
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #1405
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez
I know a lot of folks (myself included for the most part) don't feel comfortable asking questions about firearm ownership with their Doctor, but what do you do when your Doc tells you that you should get a Ruger mini 14? I wonder if the wife will approve of the purchase since it is "doctors orders" after all
I would say that doctor deserves more patients and you need to find a mini!
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #1406
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
I know a lot of folks (myself included for the most part) don't feel comfortable asking questions about firearm ownership with their Doctor, but what do you do when your Doc tells you that you should get a Ruger mini 14? I wonder if the wife will approve of the purchase since it is "doctors orders" after all
I owned a mini. T'was a great lil rifle. ate any ammo I threw at it. I think i only ever had one issue and that was when a steel case expanded in the chamber and required me to tap it out with a rod. I put arounds 1500 rounds through it in the end

I sold it simply because .223 was getting too expensive ($.50). Somehow the next rifle I purchased was the .45-70 that cost $1.75 a round, and now I'm shooting match .223 thats about the same cost, haha.

As long as you know what they are capable of, you will enjoy them. It's NOT a highly precise target rifle. It WILL decrease in accuracy the more you fire it and the hotter the barrel gets in one sitting. But It's a rifle that'll keep on firing no matter how much it rattles around in the back of your truck and is perfectly reasonably accurate out to 100 or maybe 200 yards. I never shot past 100.

Quote:

Unread 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #1407
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I owned a mini. T'was a great lil rifle. ate any ammo I threw at it. I think i only ever had one issue and that was when a steel case expanded in the chamber and required me to tap it out with a rod. I put arounds 1500 rounds through it in the end I sold it simply because .223 was getting too expensive ($.50). Somehow the next rifle I purchased was the .45-70 that cost $1.75 a round, and now I'm shooting match .223 thats about the same cost, haha. As long as you know what they are capable of, you will enjoy them. It's NOT a highly precise target rifle. It WILL decrease in accuracy the more you fire it and the hotter the barrel gets in one sitting. But It's a rifle that'll keep on firing no matter how much it rattles around in the back of your truck and is perfectly reasonably accurate out to 100 or maybe 200 yards. I never shot past 100.
did you ever put a barrel brace on it? I've been looking into adding one to mine just to see if there is a difference. Did you have a newer model or one of the old versions. I've heard in the old version the barrel problems were much much worse.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #1408
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think a .223 platform would be fun sometimes, but I honestly don't really shoot much further than 50 yards very often so getting a .223 would probably be a waste
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #1409
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
did you ever put a barrel brace on it? I've been looking into adding one to mine just to see if there is a difference. Did you have a newer model or one of the old versions. I've heard in the old version the barrel problems were much much worse.
Old"er". I think it was a 196 or 197? Early 2000's. Pre 580 series.

I didn't install a strut, I did install a barrel shroud but didn't own it long enough after that to get a good idea of whether that provided enough of a brace to help.

I also have heard the newer ones had less problems with barrel whip.

Quote:

Unread 02-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #1410
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
I think a .223 platform would be fun sometimes, but I honestly don't really shoot much further than 50 yards very often so getting a .223 would probably be a waste
unless you like to go out in the desert and go "AAAARRRGGGHHHHHHHH" while you dump a 30 round magazine, maybe, lol.

I dont really have any "use" for any of my guns aside from the carry guns. I dont hunt or whatever. But I'm also of the belief that "because i want one" is a good enough reason to own something.

If you get one, get a used one maybe? shoot it, if you dont like it, just sell it and move on. Its not a huge investment or anything. If you feel you cant justify one, then i guess dont get one, but if you want to try it out, I dont see why not.

i owned the mini and eventually my AR. Both of which were semi autos and both of which I sold in favor of older technology (a .45-70 and a .223 bolt action) because I enjoy shooting those rifles much much much more. If I ever do another semi .223, it'll likely just sit in the back of my safe as a "just in case" gun.

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.