Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread - Page 84 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #1246
LVLJ05
Vendor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
True, but I want her to feel comfortable and practiced enough with her cc firearm that everything is natural and reflex. If she doesn't like firing her cc firearm, she won't practice with it and won't be as proficient if the time comes that she needs it. As far as safety, the revolvers don't offer any different safety disengagement issues than a semi will - try firing a XDs or any Glock. The PX4 DOES have a safety, but again therein comes the muscle memory. When I draw my 96fs, my thumb naturally disengages the safety and I bring the arm up.
I personally don't like revolvers as much simply because of the gas/debris that flies out sideways and capacity limitations; that being said, they do have distinct advantages in that they can be fired under conditions that a semi cannot.
I thought the same thing, but reality with my wife is I can only get her out to shoot maybe 3-4 times a year. Every time is like the first time. Every time she puts her finger on the trigger when she pulls her gun the first time. And she's been shooting for over 5 years.

She doesn't like the revolver to target shoot, she likes to shoot the Glock. But she will carry the revolver but not the Glock.

LVLJ05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #1247
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
I'm currently saving to buy a beretta 92. I was going to cheap out and get the Taurus but I decided I would be happier waiting and get what I really want. I wish browning would get back to me about fixing my shotgun. I'm just dreading it being super expensive to fix.
well hell, it cant cost any more than a new shotgun, right?

no but seriously, i still cringe when i think about that happening to you man

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #1248
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

i'm not even gonna get into the conversation about bird shot, and im not going to get into the conversation about what to have your wife CC and half of the comments i have seen thus far.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 01-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #1249
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
i'm not even gonna get into the conversation about bird shot, and im not going to get into the conversation about what to have your wife CC and half of the comments i have seen thus far.
Okay, I've read through this post multiple times and I am STILL looking for the point of it.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #1250
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
Okay, I've read through this post multiple times and I am STILL looking for the point of it.
I just don't feel like arguing my opinions vs. the opinions of others.

Everybody thinks their opinion is right (I think my opinions are right at least) and I don't wanna be all "no thats wrong don't do that" and try to convince somebody to see it my way. It's just tiring and no fun for either side, especially since its stuff that has been argued to no end on the internet.

Unread 01-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #1251
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Makes sense... The funny (odd, not haha) thing about it was that I was asking if anyone had a small cc sized revolver she could try out and everyone decided to share their opinion on what she should get, recoil, etc. instead of answering my question. Meh, Jeep forum mentality rules again. I just roll with it.
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #1252
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

If you are honestly looking for advice/opinions on the wife CCW thing, I can tell you the following on topics that have been touched on:

In regard to a revolver having too much recoil: Don't get her a S&W airweight scandium revolver. Get her a regular steel one. Specifically like a Ruger SP101, and recoil will be a non-issue with .38spl. No need for her to carry .357 which IS a recoil issue. .38spl Hydrashocks will be good, and they make low recoil defense rounds.

I had a Ruger SP101 and liked it alot. I had a hammerless DAO one. IT was small, but beefy, and shooting .38's was an absolute breeze. My girlfriends like shooting it.

In response to other comments: I would, actually, be concerned with her perception of recoil. Life or death situation does not mean you automatically start firing the gun perfectly. If she flinches on a regular basis or pulls or grips wrong or cannot shoot well because of the subcconcious knowledge that the gun is going to be hard to handle, that will only be even WORSE when she is using it in self defense. I've been told you are only about 50% of your best shooting ability, AT BEST, when you are under duress. So, if you can only score 50% hits on a normal day because you cannot handle the gun (or even just perceive that you cannot handle it and its all in your head), that gets cut in half when you are in a stressed situation.

Try out Powr's SP101 if he lets you, thats a great little gun and as scott mentioned she can get away with carrying something a lil bigger/heavier if she goes the purse route.

On the note about it having to be a revolver. That would be good if she does carry it in a CCW purse (not talking about a purse where she has to pull the gun out of the purse to fire it) or in a pocket, because itcan be fired multiple times. If she fires a semi auto from within a concealment purse or a pocket, she will have to take the gun out, clear it, and then proceed with any followup shots if necessary.

Don't be afraid to let her try a semi and let her train with it. If the goal is to get her something as simple as possible so there are as few steps as possible for her to mess up because shes not good with guns, then she shouldn't be carrying. Sorry. If she has a semi with a safety, and plans to carry it, that means she will have trained with it and shot with it enough to know by muscle memory that the safety comes of as she draws the gun. If the plan is to just get her a gun that she sticks in a purse and may forget that it has a safety, again, she shouldn't be carrying.

So, check out some of the normal weight small revolvers, those would be great and have highly manageable recoil with good .38 defense rounds. Also try out some smaller semi's, but I'd avoid any of the sub sub compact .380's like the LCP and the Bodyguard and whatnot, because those are a ***** to shoot. Something in .32 would be good in that size, much easier to handle. Also, obviously any of the tiny 9mm's can get pretty damn snappy too.

I think others mentioned walthers. I don't know a whole lot about the newer PPS's and P99's and PPQ's but a PPK/S in .380 would be great, nice and heavy and well built little gun that makes shooting a breeze.

The absolute biggest thing to consider is it has to be comfortable for her, and something she is good at shooting, likes shooting, and is willing to shoot quite a bit to become proficient at it.

So, there you have it, thats my advice on shopping for a CCW that is good for somebody (man or woman) that is recoil sensitive. Not trying to argue with anybody, just putting my 2 cents out there.

Unread 01-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #1253
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
If you are honestly looking for advice/opinions on the wife CCW thing, I can tell you the following on topics that have been touched on: In regard to a revolver having too much recoil: Don't get her a S&W airweight scandium revolver. Get her a regular steel one. Specifically like a Ruger SP101, and recoil will be a non-issue with .38spl. No need for her to carry .357 which IS a recoil issue. .38spl Hydrashocks will be good, and they make low recoil defense rounds. I had a Ruger SP101 and liked it alot. I had a hammerless DAO one. IT was small, but beefy, and shooting .38's was an absolute breeze. My girlfriends like shooting it. In response to other comments: I would, actually, be concerned with her perception of recoil. Life or death situation does not mean you automatically start firing the gun perfectly. If she flinches on a regular basis or pulls or grips wrong or cannot shoot well because of the subcconcious knowledge that the gun is going to be hard to handle, that will only be even WORSE when she is using it in self defense. I've been told you are only about 50% of your best shooting ability, AT BEST, when you are under duress. So, if you can only score 50% hits on a normal day because you cannot handle the gun (or even just perceive that you cannot handle it and its all in your head), that gets cut in half when you are in a stressed situation. Try out Powr's SP101 if he lets you, thats a great little gun and as scott mentioned she can get away with carrying something a lil bigger/heavier if she goes the purse route. On the note about it having to be a revolver. That would be good if she does carry it in a CCW purse (not talking about a purse where she has to pull the gun out of the purse to fire it) or in a pocket, because itcan be fired multiple times. If she fires a semi auto from within a concealment purse or a pocket, she will have to take the gun out, clear it, and then proceed with any followup shots if necessary. Don't be afraid to let her try a semi and let her train with it. If the goal is to get her something as simple as possible so there are as few steps as possible for her to mess up because shes not good with guns, then she shouldn't be carrying. Sorry. If she has a semi with a safety, and plans to carry it, that means she will have trained with it and shot with it enough to know by muscle memory that the safety comes of as she draws the gun. If the plan is to just get her a gun that she sticks in a purse and may forget that it has a safety, again, she shouldn't be carrying. So, check out some of the normal weight small revolvers, those would be great and have highly manageable recoil with good .38 defense rounds. Also try out some smaller semi's, but I'd avoid any of the sub sub compact .380's like the LCP and the Bodyguard and whatnot, because those are a ***** to shoot. Something in .32 would be good in that size, much easier to handle. Also, obviously any of the tiny 9mm's can get pretty damn snappy too. I think others mentioned walthers. I don't know a whole lot about the newer PPS's and P99's and PPQ's but a PPK/S in .380 would be great, nice and heavy and well built little gun that makes shooting a breeze. The absolute biggest thing to consider is it has to be comfortable for her, and something she is good at shooting, likes shooting, and is willing to shoot quite a bit to become proficient at it. So, there you have it, thats my advice on shopping for a CCW that is good for somebody (man or woman) that is recoil sensitive. Not trying to argue with anybody, just putting my 2 cents out there.
I think you summed it up quite well!

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #1254
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You can have her try my sp101.
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:47 AM   #1255
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the response Doc, it pretty much sums up my line of thinking as well though I don't know enough about some of the makes/models you mentioned so I will take your word on 'em.
Powr, I sure appreciate the offer, I will let her know and get back to you.
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #1256
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

For the gun nut in you watch this video its great!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=655161234549378

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #1257
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The wife ended up with a 9mm & we went out to Corn Creek area yesterday to put a few rounds down pipe to get a feel for it, man I forgot how smooth and fun it is shooting that small of a round. When I transitioned from my XDs .45 to her 9 it was so different I almost considered getting a 9 instead. Nah!

We're meeting up with Mac from NVS today to do our CCW stuff (4th renewal for me and first time for the ladies) gonna be a long day.
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #1258
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I gotta renew mine here before too long. Woohoo! no more background checks.

Unread 01-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #1259
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I found some .22 lr at the zombie apocalypse store on valley view and polaris.
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #1260
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Good score. I just keep my eyes peeled whenever I'm at wallyworld, pick up a lil here and a lil there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.