Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread - Page 83 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #1231
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
cheap
plastic adapter
That worries me.

As far as recoil comparison, the revolver will have greater recoil due to more of the pressure being contained in the chamber and out the muzzle. A semi auto loses some recoil by actuating the slide. That is part of the reason why guns with heavier slides have less felt recoil. Revolvers are generally more ballistically efficient, because much more of the powder pressure is contained and is used to propel the bullet.

Unread 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #1232
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is straight up bull****. Revolvers have less felt recoil because the chamber is not sealed like it is on a semi. For women, I always recommend a revolver over semi for CCW. The reason is the engagement distance.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #1233
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

More shooting stuff…
Unread 01-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #1234
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
That is straight up bull****. Revolvers have less felt recoil because the chamber is not sealed like it is on a semi. For women, I always recommend a revolver over semi for CCW. The reason is the engagement distance.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/arch...?t-478419.html

Just saying…and this all makes sense to me too. Not trying to start ish, but I agree with most of this regarding the felt recoil in a semi auto due to the spring buffering it with the slide movement.
FWIW.
Unread 01-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #1235
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
http://thefiringline.com/forums/arch...?t-478419.html Just saying…and this all makes sense to me too. Not trying to start ish, but I agree with most of this regarding the felt recoil in a semi auto due to the spring buffering it with the slide movement. FWIW.
That is all fine and good but those guys are talking about perceived recoil vs actual recoil. Explain if you will that all else being equal (barrel length, ammo, etc) a revolver has less muzzle velocity than a semi? Perceived recoil is higher on a revolver only because of the way that your brain makes it seem. The slide slamming back adds to what the brain perceives as recoil.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #1236
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
As far as recoil comparison, the revolver will have greater recoil due to more of the pressure being contained in the chamber and out the muzzle. A semi auto loses some recoil by actuating the slide. That is part of the reason why guns with heavier slides have less felt recoil. Revolvers are generally more ballistically efficient, because much more of the powder pressure is contained and is used to propel the bullet.
Yep, incorrectly stated here! Andy is right, the revolver has a lower muzzle velocity, and loses more gas pressure through the cylinder gap.

I does beg the question though, why is it that my "perceived" or felt recoil is less in a semi auto? Maybe its the added noise? I think the SP-101 is louder and produces a more "felt" concussion when fired. Even with 38. Could this be due to unburned gas burning outside the barrel? Thoughts?

Is it due to the recoil on the auto being based higher on the frame causing a rotative effect, rather than being more inline with the arm in a revolver?
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #1237
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
Yep, incorrectly stated here! Andy is right, the revolver has a lower muzzle velocity, and loses more gas pressure through the cylinder gap. I does beg the question though, why is it that my "perceived" or felt recoil is less in a semi auto? Maybe its the added noise? I think the SP-101 is louder and produces a more "felt" concussion when fired. Even with 38. Could this be due to unburned gas burning outside the barrel? Thoughts? Is it due to the recoil on the auto being based higher on the frame causing a rotative effect, rather than being more inline with the arm in a revolver?
It is the last point you made. The higher on the frame it is, the more perceived recoil. The gun is ultimately trying to rotate out of your hand rather than pushing back into it.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #1238
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post

It is the last point you made. The higher on the frame it is, the more perceived recoil. The gun is ultimately trying to rotate out of your hand rather than pushing back into it.
Wich is why some mfgs have made the barrels lower on the frame like Taurus does with some models.
Puck81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #1239
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Here is my thought on a cc revolver. Great choice for a woman. .357 is a bit of a handful with a small frame revolver especially the S&w air lights. My thought would be get a .357 and shoot .38 through it. I wouldn't touch the adapters. Sounds like a PITA and a way to ask for trouble.
Semis, I love my LCP and would recommend it for anyone. I like the Px4 compact as well as the body guard. I don't own any small revolvers anymore but just find what she is most comfortable with.
ksturgio is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #1240
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The .357 shooting .38 through it was the main idea for the revolver, though I doubt .357 round would ever be put down pipe on it, it would be nice to have that versatility.

I agree about the adapter, but in a pinch it would be cool to be able to fire yet another round through the same firearm.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #1241
LVLJ05
Vendor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

In a life or death situation, she will not be thinking about recoil.
The real problem is do you want her to have to remember to disengage the safety.
Get her a low recoil semi to target shoot. Get her a revolver to cc.
LVLJ05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #1242
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

True, but I want her to feel comfortable and practiced enough with her cc firearm that everything is natural and reflex. If she doesn't like firing her cc firearm, she won't practice with it and won't be as proficient if the time comes that she needs it. As far as safety, the revolvers don't offer any different safety disengagement issues than a semi will - try firing a XDs or any Glock. The PX4 DOES have a safety, but again therein comes the muscle memory. When I draw my 96fs, my thumb naturally disengages the safety and I bring the arm up.
I personally don't like revolvers as much simply because of the gas/debris that flies out sideways and capacity limitations; that being said, they do have distinct advantages in that they can be fired under conditions that a semi cannot.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #1243
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

The nice thing for women is that they carry purses which can allow them to carry a larger gun. Try a walther ppq in .380.
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #1244
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
The nice thing for women is that they carry purses which can allow them to carry a larger gun. Try a walther ppq in .380.
I got my wife a taurus for CC, and a Walther Pk 380 to shoot.
Puck81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #1245
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I'm currently saving to buy a beretta 92. I was going to cheap out and get the Taurus but I decided I would be happier waiting and get what I really want. I wish browning would get back to me about fixing my shotgun. I'm just dreading it being super expensive to fix.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.