Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread - Page 81 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #1201
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

They seem to work fine in my Glock. Though I've never had a failure in my glock.

other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #1202
LVLJ05
Vendor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Thoughts on steel casings guys? I have not ever fired steel through any of my firearms, however i see deals on them all the time.
I have had so many problems with steel casings that I will never buy them again.
I have had way to many of them not eject from the barrel and jam either from misshaping or due to the coating some put on the steel.

My final straw was when I had a misfire that I could not get out of the barrel. That was something I just dont want to deal with again.

My experience is all related to .223 ammo.
LVLJ05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #1203
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Thoughts on steel casings guys? I have not ever fired steel through any of my firearms, however i see deals on them all the time.
I've pretty much exclusively run steel casing amo in the SKS and AK. I've had a couple jams but not enough to bother me. Those guns are designed to be pretty forgiving so you may have more issues with a more refined gun.

I've run a few boxes thru the Glock with no issues, but once again that is also a gun that's been designed to be forgiving.

I did have jamming issues with steel casings in the little KalTec .32 but the thing is so little the extra width of the coating on the casing may have come into play.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #1204
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I won't use steel cased ammo. I read a torture test using four different ammo types and 10,000 rounds each. Federal brass cased, Tula steel cased, Wolf steel cased, and Brown Bear steel cased. The one rifle firing the Federal ammo was the only one that didn't need a replacement barrel at the end of the test and the only one that exhibited zero malfunctions. The rifle that was shooting the Tula ammo didn't even finish the test. It had failure to extract, failure to cycle, and failure to fire malfunctions. The failure to extract were so bad that the testers decide to remove the rifle and ammo from the test.

Most would say that it is because of the lacquer or polymer coating on the steel cased ammo. The testers determined that that simply wasn't the case. Instead, the pointed to the fact that the extractor on the AR-15 actually comes off the case during cycling (it was designed that way and uses chamber pressure to hold the case against the bolt face until the extractor can grab the case again) and the fact that steel doesn't deform or stretch like brass does causes the failures. Steel cased ammo also has much higher chamber pressures than brass cased ammo. In some cases, it is high enough to be dangerous, hence the reason that the Mil doesn't use steel cased ammo even for training.

Way too many downsides to steel cased ammo for me.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #1205
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Steel casings are fine. Looks at AK's and all that ****.

Ran 1000 steel cases rounds through my mini 14, had 1 failure and that was a case expanded in the chamber and got stuck.

the issue is that steel casings tend to be very hard on your chamber and other working parts. Brass is alot softer and therefore can conform, as well as causing less wear against the other parts of your rifle which is steel. You will get much more ware much faster, but unless you're dumping tons of ammo it likely wont be an issue.

I dont like it, because in general it is lower quality ammo, its cheaper, and it DOES tend to have more problems when it comes to feeding/ejecting in some guns, but thats the nature of the beast. It's fine for range ammo, and fine for your regular guns. I would not, however, feed it through any high end guns in any high volume, but thats just me. I've shot it through my M1A, but not much. Not really because i'm worried about the gun, but because it's just low quality ammo and My style of shooting generally requires quality and consistency (not just shooting steel targets at 100 yards or whatever).

Use it, it's not going to ruin your gun, but will wear it out faster (we're still talking thousands and thousands of rounds here), and may or may not be less reliable in the feeding/ejecting department, and will be just as reliable in the "going bang" department.

Edit: looks like andy said basically the same thing.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #1206
dan5005

Hello all I am new here and thought I'd chime in. I have put 1500 plus rounds of surplus ball ammo through my sks and the only issues I had were from the tapco mag being not properly seated .
dan5005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #1207
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hi Dan, welcome.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 12-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #1208
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I won't shoot steel cased ammo just personal preference. I have no experience with steel because I've never shot any of it. I think for "normal" shooter who isn't out more then a couple times a month steel isn't going to really matter as far as wear and tear. I've heard a lot of bad on the quality of steel ammo as well, so I just stay away from it.

And welcome to the party Dan.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #1209
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have seen some of the major mfg on the market offer steel case ammo at a far cheaper price than brass, and i figured, it has to be some what better then the crap coming from over seas. Plus the price differance from steel to brass, i think would make up for buying new parts inside a firearm. Meh, i guess maybe i should just try it and find out.
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #1210
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

you will try it, it will shot, you won't notice any difference other than possibly some malfunctions. POSSIBLY.

Unread 01-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #1211
LVLJ05
Vendor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Amyone shooting today?
LVLJ05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 02:18 AM   #1212
4x4Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVLJ05 View Post
Amyone shooting today?
I was out at the lightweight sand pit. Had I seen this, you could have joined us.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #1213
sirhk100

I've put 750 rounds of steel thru my glock with many more brass then that over the years with only 2 FTF both being brass. I tend to fire brass mostly but am not opposed to steel when the pricing is right. Then again, it's a glock... When I lived in Az, I shot a LOT more... like probably about 10,000% more then I do living in Vegas. Here it's a pain... In Az, we'd just drive 5 minutes down the road. Heck, when I first moved there, we shot from the front deck, heck, shot out the front door from the rocking chair even once.

Not sure if kermit would have issues with steel though... He hasn't ate enough food yet for me to really even guess that.

Whoa! An actual gun related post from me!!! I've obviously been in Az too much lately! Continue on gun nuts...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #1214
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://posting.lasvegas.backpage.com...6067b1d4aa50ed
or enough cash to get one.
second ad with additional gun…
http://lasvegas.backpage.com/SportsE...-fsft/11681692
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #1215
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

you should post on nevada shooters to avoid dealing with the nutsos on backpage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.