Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 09-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #751
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post

Handgun rounds don't travel at high enough velocities to cause significant cavitation. That's why rifle rounds are so much more effective. They're much faster and cause significant cavitation. Hollow points transfer more energy to the target rather than traveling through at relatively slow speed(compared to rifle rounds.)
Ok, that make a ton of sense. Thats why there is hollow point pistol rounds and not rifle rounds.(minus .223 PD hollow points)

Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #752
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've only ever seen 223 hollow point varmin rounds. Not to say there aren't 308 or others available though. Generally, you want a rifle round to be a FMJ. It's a lot more stable at distance and able to cause hydraulic cavitation because it retains its velocity better. Next time you're over, I'll open up a ballistics manual and show you the numbers. It's staggering the differences in velocity from pistol to rifle rounds. A couple of extremes here...a certain 45 load may produce a round that travels at less than 1000FPS(feet per second.) my 204 ruger, which is a 223 necked down to 204, travels at over 4000fps! Smaller bullet, but much higher velocity! Much greater hydraulic damage at the same distances. Sure, the 45 will have a larger entry and exit hole, but the 204 makes jelly inside!
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #753
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
I've only ever seen 223 hollow point varmin rounds. Not to say there aren't 308 or others available though. Generally, you want a rifle round to be a FMJ. It's a lot more stable at distance and able to cause hydraulic cavitation because it retains its velocity better. Next time you're over, I'll open up a ballistics manual and show you the numbers. It's staggering the differences in velocity from pistol to rifle rounds. A couple of extremes here...a certain 45 load may produce a round that travels at less than 1000FPS(feet per second.) my 204 ruger, which is a 223 necked down to 204, travels at over 4000fps! Smaller bullet, but much higher velocity! Much greater hydraulic damage at the same distances. Sure, the 45 will have a larger entry and exit hole, but the 204 makes jelly inside!
Kind of... Velocity without the ability to transfer energy is useless. Most rifle hunting rounds are copper jacketed surrounding a lead core. You will also note that most rifle hunting rounds have either a blunted tip or a plastic tip. Both are designed to do the same thing. Allow the lead core to expand. The reason the lead core expands is to transfer energy otherwise all you have is an itty bitty hole all the way through the target. You get the same thing when trying to shoot a rabbit with a 9MM FMJ round. A little bitty hole all the way through the target. Even when using hollow points in the 9MM flavor on a rabbit, you may not get the expansion required to get a clean, humane kill. It really depends on a few different factors. Distance to target, relative velocity, size of the hollow pointed section and quite a few others can make a large change in how a round performs in the target. Next time you get a chance, check out a couple of youtube videos on 9MM rounds into ballistics gel. You will see that a FMJ round travels a good 6-8 inches into the gel before the wound channel opens up. The same thing happens inside the rabbit except that by the time it has traveled that far, it is already through the other side.

Edit: to help you out. Only about the first 3-4 minutes are relevant.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #754
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Really? Hunting rounds are designed to expand and do as much damage as possible in order to kill humanely. Also, having been doing a lot of 600-1000 yd shooting, some of my most accurate rounds are HPBTs...hollow point boat tails. These are designed to break up on impact on a steel target.
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #755
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Correct me if I'm wrong but rifle rounds tend to tumble once entering a target hence the small entry, large exit. I've nailed game with .223 and it looks like a .22 at entry and a massive exit. That's what I've always figured what was happening. I could also see it as just slug expansion but you would think that size of expansion would prevent exiting.
Well looks like we need to go call some coyotes and test our theories.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #756
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio
Correct me if I'm wrong but rifle rounds tend to tumble once entering a target hence the small entry, large exit. I've nailed game with .223 and it looks like a .22 at entry and a massive exit. That's what I've always figured what was happening. I could also see it as just slug expansion but you would think that size of expansion would prevent exiting.
Well looks like we need to go call some coyotes and test our theories.
I'm down.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #757
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobicon
My weapon of choice for home defense is a 1911 loaded with hollow points. I have verified they do not pass through the walls of my dining room.
If somebody wants to survive an encounter with you they just need to wear a vest of kitchen tile.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 09-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #758
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Here is a pic of the new gun.
image-3275186026.jpg

ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #759
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

WOW! that looks REALLY nice! Congrats!
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #760
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
Here is a pic of the new gun.
want want want want want want want want want want want want want want WANT!

Quote:

Unread 09-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #761
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
want want want want want want want want want want want want want want WANT!
Fix your brakes

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #762
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Fix your brakes
I'm going to try this weekend. i have the new prop valve. That isnt a money issue....

I dont know what to do if this doesnt fix/help.

Quote:

Unread 09-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #763
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I'm going to try this weekend. i have the new prop valve. That isnt a money issue....

I dont know what to do if this doesnt fix/help.
Shut it! Just fix them!

Unread 09-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #764
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

come help?

Quote:

Unread 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #765
sirhk100

I ain't a brake expert, you heard what I had to do with the race truck and that was only after I got a 25+ year auto tech over here to help me figure it out. LOL I'm much better at drilling holes in fuel lines!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.