Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Guns - The Official Southern Nevada/Las Vegas Gun Thread

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #721
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The only issue with "stock" revolvers is typical heavy trigger pull in double action. Some women have difficulty with the hand strength an aren't as accurate.
Answer:
Hip shooting a 12ga with bird shot. Will NOT go through multiple walls and kill the babies two rooms over. Accuracy is relative and counts as in horseshoes...close enough counts!

Unread 09-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #722
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've shot a 12 gauge from the hip before. I will stick with shooting from the shoulder from now on.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #723
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
The only issue with "stock" revolvers is typical heavy trigger pull in double action. Some women have difficulty with the hand strength an aren't as accurate.
Answer:
Hip shooting a 12ga with bird shot. Will NOT go through multiple walls and kill the babies two rooms over. Accuracy is relative and counts as in horseshoes...close enough counts!
I agree that the 12 gauge with birdshot is the absolute home defense gun. My problem is storage. It's hard to lock up with fast access in an emergency a loaded and ready shotgun even if it's a tactical model with a pistol grip. In a house with kids securing it is a must. Yes my kids have been trained in gun safety but 3 and 9 year olds arenít known for good decision making.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #724
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900
My issue with the zombie thing is that most media shows zombies as being able to survive serious damage to the circulatory system and other vital body systems. Our bodies are biological machines and without blood circulating nutrients and oxygen things will shut down pretty quickly. Yes, some kind of infection or parasite could cause people to act like zombies, but they would die fairly quickly if they do not access to food/water and could not survive serious injuries any better than we can. I would expect they would not be limited by the pain of an injury but if its life ending it will end them the same way. The bottom line is if something like that broke out it would burn it's self out fairly quickly. The zombie apocalypse with zombies wandering around months later “walking dead” style is just not scientifically possible.
Hence my first sentence. It is impossible in the movie sense. All I was doing was refuting Pucks statement that it could never happen.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #725
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Go pattern some birdshot at 20' which is probably as far as you'll be shooting in your house. I think you'll be fairly surprised as to what that looks like. It's hardly the flying cloud of death people think it is. Much closer than that (15') and you'll be nailing the person with the shot still contained in the cup.

Also, you'll be deaf.

Also its alot harder to maneuver around your house with a long gun, pistol grip or no. This brings up a question, which I'm honestly curious about. I know we all "know" the layout of our houses (navigating in the dark to the kitchen or whatever for a midnight snack), but how many of you or us actually practice clearing your house and moving through it with a firearm? Do you all know proper procedures for opening doors and moving through them without making yourself vulnerable? what about 2 handed weapons without a sling like the shotguns, how do you open a door then? How about carrying a flashlight? It's all something to think about is all I'm saying.

i'm a huge proponent of people only working with what they are most comfortable with. Whatever works best for you and you are most confident doing, do that. I just feel like alot of people dont think about alot of things. I'm not saying i am some know it all, I just know there are extra things I do, I read about, I practice, etc.

and lastly,, plenty of info out there about people being blasted by #7 or #8 load and still moving around afterwards. I'm not talking about being nailed by 1oz of shot still contained in the cup/wadding lol. However this does bring in the fact that you may not kill somebody, then what do you do? Tricky situation. If you say you shot to kill you'd probably be fine but if you ever say you tried to use less than lethal ammo or shot to wound you'll go away for a long time. In their eyes that means you were in enough danger to actually have to shoot. Wonderful how the perp breaking into your house is the victim, right? Freakin lawyers.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #726
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
Go pattern some birdshot at 20' which is probably as far as you'll be shooting in your house. I think you'll be fairly surprised as to what that looks like. It's hardly the flying cloud of death people think it is. Much closer than that (15') and you'll be nailing the person with the shot still contained in the cup.

Also, you'll be deaf.

Also its alot harder to maneuver around your house with a long gun, pistol grip or no. This brings up a question, which I'm honestly curious about. I know we all "know" the layout of our houses (navigating in the dark to the kitchen or whatever for a midnight snack), but how many of you or us actually practice clearing your house and moving through it with a firearm? Do you all know proper procedures for opening doors and moving through them without making yourself vulnerable? what about 2 handed weapons without a sling like the shotguns, how do you open a door then? How about carrying a flashlight? It's all something to think about is all I'm saying.

i'm a huge proponent of people only working with what they are most comfortable with. Whatever works best for you and you are most confident doing, do that. I just feel like alot of people dont think about alot of things. I'm not saying i am some know it all, I just know there are extra things I do, I read about, I practice, etc.

and lastly,, plenty of info out there about people being blasted by #7 or #8 load and still moving around afterwards. I'm not talking about being nailed by 1oz of shot still contained in the cup/wadding lol. However this does bring in the fact that you may not kill somebody, then what do you do? Tricky situation. If you say you shot to kill you'd probably be fine but if you ever say you tried to use less than lethal ammo or shot to wound you'll go away for a long time. In their eyes that means you were in enough danger to actually have to shoot. Wonderful how the perp breaking into your house is the victim, right? Freakin lawyers.
I think 8 shots in <2 seconds, birdshot or not, is going to hurt. That is if my shotgun doesn't jam.

Posted from outer space.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #727
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared

I think 8 shots in <2 seconds, birdshot or not, is going to hurt. That is if my shotgun doesn't jam.

Posted from outer space.
Not sure if serious. Lol.

If that's your approach to home defense we need to have a sit down and so some talking!

But your Gun Should be fine provided you don't put 40 rounds through it right?

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #728
sirhk100

When cody starts barking, I'm just going to crawl under my bed and hide. I know how to do that pretty well already from all the thunder cracks recently.

Kermit won't be of any help, it'll be like a glowing angel in the house if it's dark being as bright as it is. Then again, the person may laugh and just walk away from the hilarity of it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #729
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
When cody starts barking, I'm just going to crawl under my bed and hide. I know how to do that pretty well already from all the thunder cracks recently.

Kermit won't be of any help, it'll be like a glowing angel in the house if it's dark being as bright as it is. Then again, the person may laugh and just walk away from the hilarity of it.
Didn't you see Taken?
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #730
sirhk100

Yeah, but I'm not a chick with a gnarly dad so it doesn't apply to me.

It won't be obvious either in my case cause the boxes and crap that I'd have to kick out from under my bed to slide under it wouldn't be obvious. My dog coming over and trying to get me to play with him probably wouldn't make it obvious either.

Okay, new plans... When dog barks, I grab pistol and kermit and go drop trow and sit on the pot and wait for them to come to me. That way I can shoot them while sitting on my throne like a king!!! Or I get shot dead while on the throne... Either way it makes me an effin badazz!!! I like to do most of my shooting from the throne.

Unread 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #731
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good points made here. Despite the awkwardness of a long gun in home defense situations, I still feel better about using our shotgun in lieu of one of the handguns. Chambering a round with the pump action is an intimidating sound, though it does give your position away. In a low light, drowsy, adrenaline filled situation, I feel I would be better with multiple projectiles instead of a single one as large as the tip of your small finger. My rounds get progressively heavier.
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #732
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Yeah, but I'm not a chick with a gnarly dad so it doesn't apply to me.

It won't be obvious either in my case cause the boxes and crap that I'd have to kick out from under my bed to slide under it wouldn't be obvious. My dog coming over and trying to get me to play with him probably wouldn't make it obvious either.

Okay, new plans... When dog barks, I grab pistol and kermit and go drop trow and sit on the pot and wait for them to come to me. That way I can shoot them while sitting on my throne like a king!!! Or I get shot dead while on the throne... Either way it makes me an effin badazz!!! I like to do most of my shooting from the throne.

Dude quit changing the plan!

I thought it was that when you point kermit at the bad guy he starts laughing, then you start laughing, then you go out for beers and become friends!

Jeeze, stop changing your tactics dude!

Unread 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #733
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
Good points made here. Despite the awkwardness of a long gun in home defense situations, I still feel better about using our shotgun in lieu of one of the handguns. Chambering a round with the pump action is an intimidating sound, though it does give your position away. In a low light, drowsy, adrenaline filled situation, I feel I would be better with multiple projectiles instead of a single one as large as the tip of your small finger. My rounds get progressively heavier.
As said, i highly suggest doing what you are most comfortable with, because thats literally what you are the most comfortable with, lol.

On the shotgun note. All anybody will ever hear is me yelling "get on the ****ing ground now or I'll shoot" at the top of my lungs (this is important, the more people to hear this, neighbors included, the better) then quite possibly two loud bangs. Regardless of what gun I have.

My pistol sits on the night stand, shotgun is in the safe. Those are the only 2 loaded guns in the house.

The woman knows that if i get out of bed and tell her to dial 911, she moves to the right spot in the house and does so....but I digress.

Practice though. I dont mean go all out like tactical ninja in your house, but you should practice moving through the house in low light and whatnot.

One of the main issues people have and what gets them into trouble is that they arent prepared to find something when they go to look for what made a noise in the night. "oh it's just the wind, i'll go check it out" and not expecting to find a person, lol. Talk about a surprise! It always seems funny, going to look for something but being surprised when you see it. It's hard to imagine how I'd react. I'd probably yell and freak out, I startle real easy.

Unread 09-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #734
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Agreed. I DO need to spend more time practicing to keep on top of things, I learned a few tips from the home defense course that I took and the wife and I have a plan just as you and your girl have. One great tip I learned that we all probably know, but just didn't realize... someone attacking in the dark tends to be drawn toward the light, firing their weapon, directing their attack, etc. when someone opens our bedroom door (after we have yelled at them that we have called the police and we are armed) the first thing they will see is a super bright flashlight pointed right at them .. their attention will auto focus there, while the wife and I fire at them from another point in the room where we are situated; well away from the light source.
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #735
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Dude quit changing the plan!

I thought it was that when you point kermit at the bad guy he starts laughing, then you start laughing, then you go out for beers and become friends!

Jeeze, stop changing your tactics dude!
I'm pre-planning my strategies for in the moment adaptation! Not every person will be the same... I mean, what if the person doesn't drink beer? What if I'm out of Mtn Dew like I have been for the past week or so?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.