Grand Canyon Off-Road Trails? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Grand Canyon Off-Road Trails?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #31
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Anyone familiar with the north rim? We do a yearly trip to Williams and the south rim and this year would like to plan in a overnight tent trip on the north rim. I have looked into toroweap some, seems like a fun couple of days. Any other suggestions that may be closer to the 89(a)? Toroweap would require a loop up over LV (interstate 15) and down through Fredonia, no big deal, but what are some other options?

Thanks!

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #32
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I too have done the south rim from Wiliams, ( doing the train with our grandkids was a hoot!), I also wondered about the north rim, and some exploring of the area. It would be cool to try and go to the "Arches" and "Bryce" park, or tour the Brians Head area too. We mat do some of this, as we are looking to relocate in a couple years o the Cedar city area. It looks like the distance from "Vegas" to page, and all is about 300 miles, so two tanks should do the fuel question.
Toroweep sounds like a cool trip, and from there depending on fuel, you could do a fair bit of exploring.
slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #33
WSS

1972 CJ5 

I figure a full tank plus 20gl. We carry 10gl normally. I could do like the early explorers and ditch/hide fuel for the return trip. Gotta make it work.

Unread 05-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #34
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It has been a while since the last 3 posts about the north rim but if you haven’t done it yet we did it 3 yrs ago in May & it was great. We didn’t do camping so we stayed 2 nights in Kanab, UT & one in St. George. Plenty of gas, food & lodging in Kanab & it is about 200 miles from LV. The first day from Kanab we went down 67 to the main n. rim area. Not much to see there but take the road going east just north of the end of 67. That goes to Cape Royal Vista with good views at Vista Encantada & a side road to Point Imperial. Then back to 67 & north to Ryan Rd (FR 422) & west. There are various side roads to different points. As I recall we went out to Crazy Jug, Sowats Point & Jumpup Point (FR 427 & 201, I think) before going on to Fredonia (possibly FR 22 by then but still showing as Ryan Rd on the map) & to Kanab for the night, about 225 miles. The next day we went west on 389 to a road going south called Mount Trumbull Rd. or CR 109. We took that down to Lava Falls & Toroweep Point, very spectacular. Then back north a bit to CR 5 & took that back to St. George. There is CR 103 that goes down to some points (Kelly Point, I think is at the end of that road) that looked interesting but we didn’t take it. About an hour or more each way as I recall.

At every overlook I was glad we were trailing. Almost no one out there & every place was so much more spectacular than the one view you get staying on the highway. I thought about all the people that only see the north rim from the highway & all they miss.

Then on the way back towards LV on 15 we went south at Riverside Rd also called SR 170 (exit 112) to New Gold Butte Rd & south turning west at Devil’s Throat (I think there is a sign there) & over to Hobgoblin’s Playground. That’s a very worthwhile side trip. The road back to Gold Butte Rd is a bit tricky, we started on a wrong fork that would have dead ended after quite a distance, love leaving breadcrumbs!

All the roads/trails were pretty good on the whole trip with the good weather we had & never needed 4WD.

Slickrock, if you get to Cedar City you will have some great trails to explore. We have done some trailing in SW Utah & love it! If you get up in that area or even on 89 north of Page, PM me & I can share some of the places we have found.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #35
vipergto99
2002 WJ 

I wanted to follow up with my trip (South Rim). I flew into Vegas and met up with my girl friend (not girlfriend) and started the adventure.

When I got to Vegas, Enterprise didn't have a Grand Cherokee available. I ended up in a 2014 GMC Acadia.
I also made a last minute change in my plans and went to the Grand Canyon National Park (GCNP for the rest of this write-up) for some hiking. We didn't have a strict schedule, so we enjoyed the drive. Stopped at the Hoover Dam and walked around a bit, and we made a couple other stops along the way at those 'scenic overlooks' that most people just drive past. From the Dam, we headed down I-93 to Kingman then East on I-40 towards Flagstaff. It was a nice drive. Got to see a decent amount of wildlife along the way since it was an evening drive, (took about 4:15 driving time from Vegas to GCNP.) Stopped in Williams, AZ to fill up on fuel before heading north on R-64 to the park. We didn't get to the park until after 11pm and there was no one at the gate (still kinda off-season), just a sign that said, "Please Continue Through". It was too late to do anything else, so we went directly to the campground. Again, no one was at the gate, and another sign that said, "Late Night Check in: Please select an available site and stop in tomorrow morning after 8am to register." Well, we crashed in the back of the Acadia (quite roomy actually), but we only slept for a couple hours because we wanted to see the sunrise over the canyon. We were up and at the south rim by 5:45am. The sunrise was amazing... Well worth getting up early.

Anyway, we spent the day hiking around the GCNP trails. We went about a mile and a half down the Bright Angel Trail, but decided to turn back before we were too far down. (We're planning a trip later this year to do a Rim-2-Rim hike, 17+- miles). If you've never been to the GCNP, it's worth the trip. It's a nice setup. They have a free bus line that will take you from overlook to overlook, or you can "hike" between each along the edge of the canyon. Lots of great picture spots.

That evening we went to the furthest east location we could find and watched a beautiful sunset at the canyon. Then we headed back to the campground to try and register and stay again the next night. By the time we got there, they were closed again... So we did the same thing the second night... Again we were up early and gone before they were open. (Thanks GCNP Campground for a place to park 2 nights in a row for free. Greatly appreciated!! )

****** HERE'S THE PART YOU SHOULD ALL READ!!! ******
I did a lot of research and checked out a lot of satellite photos to find a way to drive down to the Colorado River. THERE IS A WAY!!!

The second day, we were heading to the trail I found with my research. It's called Diamond Creek Rd... Also known as Indian Rt 6 and it goes north from Peach Spring, AZ into the Grand Canyon. As the name would suggest, it's on the Hualapai Indian Reservation. During my research I called the Reservation Office and asked what, if any, permits I would need to drive on this 'road' to get to the river. The nice lady on the phone said I wouldn't need any permit since I wasn't planning on doing anything other than drive to the water, eat lunch and leave. (No fishing, boating, camping, ect).
So, we got to drive on Historic Route 66 into Peach Spring, then found our way onto Indian Rt-6 (Thanks to the GPS on my Verizon Phone). It was about 7:30am when we left the pavement and started driving the 18 miles on a stone/dirt/rocky road towards the Colorado River. We were less than a mile from the water when we came across a sign that said,

"NO ONE PAST THIS POINT WITHOUT A VALID PERMIT. Up to $500 fine per person for anyone in violation."

I. Was. Pissed. The sign also said that the rangers were on duty from 8am-9pm. I looked at my passenger and said, "We came all this way... What do you want to do?" She said, "I want to see the river. Plus, I believe in your ability to talk your way out of any situation. Lets go for it.". So we did. It was another 5 minutes or so and we were standing in the Colorado River. We had to drive IN a creek-bed for the last half mile or so, and then came to a parking area with port-a-pots and tables and canopies for shade. There was no one else around, so we thought we were ok... at least for the time being. We didn't stay long because $1000 in potential fines is a lot to think about. 5-10 minutes is all we were willing to risk, and we took off back out of there... Once we were out of the 'restricted area' we took a sigh of relief. Then it wasn't 5 miles and we passed a truck coming our way pulling a trailer full of boats to the water. And less than 2 miles later, we were stopped by an Reservation Ranger. I talked my way out of it... He tried to sell us the permit ($56 !!!!!??!!!) Told him all I had was credit cards and we were heading to the Reservation Office to buy the permit and return for the day. (We 'changed our minds' once we got back to town. )

On the way back out of the Canyon, we came across a couple wild burro's and they were rather friendly. Walked right up to the truck. I wouldn't suggest trying to touch them cuz they WILL bite if they smell food.

We got back on Rt 66 and headed west to Vegas. Spent the next two nights in Sin City with friends that were there to get married.

We both agreed- The best part of the whole trip was the time we spent at the Grand Canyon. Can't wait to go back!!!

By the way: The Acadia I had turned out to be Front Wheel Drive. HAHA. But it served us well. I'm a JEEP fan, and I would have preferred a Grand Cherokee, but it did well. And the 'trail' wasn't a challenge at all. Probably could have made it almost the whole way in a Camaro, to be honest.
We averaged 19.8 mpg for the whole trip.
And on the way back to Vegas, I was 'cruising' around 110 mph, keeping up with a couple mustangs.

I included a couple pics. Enjoy. If anyone wants more details, PM me and I'll respond asap.
stone.jpg  
img_7270.jpg

img_7340.jpg

img_7420.jpg

vipergto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #36
vipergto99
2002 WJ 

Couple more pics
img_7602.jpg   img_7620.jpg   img_7624.jpg  
dsc00716a.jpg

dsc00735a.jpg

Unread 05-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #37
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cool pics and great info! Thanks for sharing - that really sucks about the misinformation, glad you didn't get stuck with a fine!
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #38
sirhk100

Awesome pictures and ditto on the fine!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #39
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

So you ignored a sign, ducked the permit, then bragged about it. Not good.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #40
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
So you ignored a sign, ducked the permit, then bragged about it. Not good.
^^X2^^

Amazing he has no shame about it.

Unread 05-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #41
vipergto99
2002 WJ 

Actually, I was completely willing to buy the permits ahead of time. I did my research- I was looking online, and even called the Indian Reservation Office- they mislead me with the information. Say what you want, but you're right, I have no shame for anything on my adventure. I had a great time and didn't get 'caught' in any of their tourist money traps.

Yes, I duck the sign, and if I had the cash to pay $56 for the 5 minutes I was actually there, I would have. I only had $25 in cash on me, (who carry's cash when on vacation these days?). I plan on going back either later this year, or next year, and I'll be buying the permit at the Reservation office before making the 18 mile drive to the river.
Unread 05-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #42
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Your choice, your trip. I personally do not believe in cheating people of what is owed them, especially American Indians.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.