Grand Canyon Off-Road Trails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Grand Canyon Off-Road Trails?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
devarona
2010 JK Wrangler 

Grand Canyon Off-Road Trails?

Does anyone know some off road trails I can take the jeep into or near the Grand Canyon. I see a jeep tour company takes you to the bottom of the canyon for $200. I'd like to do that in my jeep. Any ideas are very appreciated.

Thanks,

Elena

devarona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
3Samudra
2013 JK Wrangler 

grand canyon

o yeah there's a great road to the bottom out of peach springs az....its a reservation acess..just contact the agent in town and for under 10 bucks get a pass to the bottom...it's a graded road most of the way with the last part inside a tributary stream...

very nice !!!
img_2841.jpg   img_2848.jpg  
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Hedwig
2010 JK Wrangler 

Depends.....

....on what you're looking for as far as:

- Trail difficulty
- Trip duration
- What you want to see
- How far down the canyon you want to go

A bunch of us have done a few "North Rim" trips. Start at Mesquite, and head to Lake Mead, then to some mines, to points / overlooks of the canyon. Then to a working ranch for a shower and food.

Plan on a three to four day excursion. From "very easy" to "rather difficult" trails. Very scenic, however you don't get "down" to the river, except when you get to Lake Mead.

Let me know if you're interested. I can provide Garmin waypoints and tracks.
Made any more, I might move away
Hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
devarona
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately it's been raining here and there were floods as close as Flagstaff so we are kind of scared to go off road. We are rookies. I guess I will have to try to off road when i get to Utah.

Thanks again,

Elena
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
3Samudra
2013 JK Wrangler 

rained out

that was my first trip in my bran new jk...very easy patrolled by tribal police... they checked on my permit...it is the last drop off for river riders...they load on busses and trucks to go home...it is also the route of the jeep trips...

good luck
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
no1gtkid
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There are plenty of trails at the North Rim location. Sublime point, three jugs, and a few others that branch off. Easy to get to and not to difficult. Plenty of camping along the way if you get a back country pass. Winter they close most of the roads.
no1gtkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Hedwig
2010 JK Wrangler 

The North Rim is a very large area. It can be divided into the East portion, and the West portion.

The West portion basically runs from Lake Mead to the Toroweap overlook (actually, past that point). The East portion runs from Lee's Ferry West to Fredonia.

There's really too much to explore in both areas during a 3 or 4 day trip. Most of the Western areas are open year-round, but you take your chances with the rain / snow / ice that can develop. I think they do close the Jacobs Lake area (Eastern area) during winters.

You can get "close" to the river at the Toroweap overlook, as well as the overlook near the Bar10 Ranch (there's a hiking trail to the river here). The history of the Western area is interesting, and can be found on-line. Too many sight-seeing areas to list.
Unread 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
devarona
2010 JK Wrangler 

I didnt have the opportunity to offroad the Grand Canyon area that trip, however, I may be there this spring. can I still hit some backroads in the Spring?

Thanks
Unread 10-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Hedwig
2010 JK Wrangler 

Jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarona View Post
I didnt have the opportunity to offroad the Grand Canyon area that trip, however, I may be there this spring. can I still hit some backroads in the Spring?

Thanks
If the weather is good, spring is the best time to go. There's so much color around, it's difficult to believe that you're driving through high desert.
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
MEYJR
2013 JK Wrangler 

Me and the family are thinking of doing a grand canyon trip this summer. We would love to do a 3 or 4 day trail/camping trip while there. I am by no means an experienced off roader and my JK is pretty stock with excpetion of 2.5" lift and 33"s. Does anyone have any recommendations for this?

Thanks,
MEY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport, Deep Cherry Red, 2.5" Lift, American Racing ATX Thug Wheels, 35x12.5/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
MEYJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
Hedwig
2010 JK Wrangler 

Most of the North Rim areas are easy. However, as with all trails, they're subject to the weather, and others traveling. The toughest area I've been through was Savanic Mine, up to the Grand Gulch Mine. I don't even know if the trail is open any longer.

Twin Point is a must see. Kelly Point is equal, except the trip there is a pain - not difficult, just very bumpy.

The Bar10 Ranch and their International Airport is a good place to stop and say hello. If you've been on the trail for a couple of days, they have showers with hot water. Then you can continue down the trail for another hour, and get to the overlook ---> straight down to the river.

I can shoot you some waypoints, if you use a Garmin and/or MapSource.
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
MEYJR
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
Most of the North Rim areas are easy. However, as with all trails, they're subject to the weather, and others traveling. The toughest area I've been through was Savanic Mine, up to the Grand Gulch Mine. I don't even know if the trail is open any longer.

Twin Point is a must see. Kelly Point is equal, except the trip there is a pain - not difficult, just very bumpy.

The Bar10 Ranch and their International Airport is a good place to stop and say hello. If you've been on the trail for a couple of days, they have showers with hot water. Then you can continue down the trail for another hour, and get to the overlook ---> straight down to the river.

I can shoot you some waypoints, if you use a Garmin and/or MapSource.
That would be great. I do use a garmin. So how long are these trails? do you hop on one and take you a few days to complete a loop or do you take a day to drive to a point, stop and camp then drive back the same way you came the next day? I have no idea what we will be getting into. We have never done anything like this.

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport, Deep Cherry Red, 2.5" Lift, American Racing ATX Thug Wheels, 35x12.5/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
MEYJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Hedwig
2010 JK Wrangler 

PM me with your e-mail address. I'll see what I can do.
Unread 02-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #14
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

When is it a good time to head down there? April May?
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
Hedwig
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'd suggest later on, so May. April might work, but the weather in that corner of the world is unpredictable.

In later May, you might get to see the wildflowers in bloom. I saw that once, and it really left an impression.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.