JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Nevada Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/)
-   -   Grand Canyon Off-Road Trails? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/grand-canyon-off-road-trails-1071655/)

devarona 07-18-2010 01:55 PM

Grand Canyon Off-Road Trails?

Does anyone know some off road trails I can take the jeep into or near the Grand Canyon. I see a jeep tour company takes you to the bottom of the canyon for $200. I'd like to do that in my jeep. Any ideas are very appreciated.

Thanks,

Elena

3Samudra 07-18-2010 09:12 PM

grand canyon

2 Attachment(s)
o yeah there's a great road to the bottom out of peach springs az....its a reservation acess..just contact the agent in town and for under 10 bucks get a pass to the bottom...it's a graded road most of the way with the last part inside a tributary stream...

very nice !!!

Hedwig 07-19-2010 02:26 PM

Depends.....

....on what you're looking for as far as:

- Trail difficulty
- Trip duration
- What you want to see
- How far down the canyon you want to go

A bunch of us have done a few "North Rim" trips. Start at Mesquite, and head to Lake Mead, then to some mines, to points / overlooks of the canyon. Then to a working ranch for a shower and food.

Plan on a three to four day excursion. From "very easy" to "rather difficult" trails. Very scenic, however you don't get "down" to the river, except when you get to Lake Mead.

Let me know if you're interested. I can provide Garmin waypoints and tracks.

devarona 07-21-2010 07:55 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately it's been raining here and there were floods as close as Flagstaff so we are kind of scared to go off road. We are rookies. I guess I will have to try to off road when i get to Utah.

Thanks again,

Elena

3Samudra 07-23-2010 08:58 PM

rained out

that was my first trip in my bran new jk...very easy patrolled by tribal police... they checked on my permit...it is the last drop off for river riders...they load on busses and trucks to go home...it is also the route of the jeep trips...

good luck :2thumbsup:

no1gtkid 10-25-2011 07:39 PM

There are plenty of trails at the North Rim location. Sublime point, three jugs, and a few others that branch off. Easy to get to and not to difficult. Plenty of camping along the way if you get a back country pass. Winter they close most of the roads.

Hedwig 10-26-2011 07:32 AM

The North Rim is a very large area. It can be divided into the East portion, and the West portion.

The West portion basically runs from Lake Mead to the Toroweap overlook (actually, past that point). The East portion runs from Lee's Ferry West to Fredonia.

There's really too much to explore in both areas during a 3 or 4 day trip. Most of the Western areas are open year-round, but you take your chances with the rain / snow / ice that can develop. I think they do close the Jacobs Lake area (Eastern area) during winters.

You can get "close" to the river at the Toroweap overlook, as well as the overlook near the Bar10 Ranch (there's a hiking trail to the river here). The history of the Western area is interesting, and can be found on-line. Too many sight-seeing areas to list.

devarona 10-26-2011 02:06 PM

I didnt have the opportunity to offroad the Grand Canyon area that trip, however, I may be there this spring. can I still hit some backroads in the Spring?

Hedwig 10-27-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devarona (Post 12390083)
I didnt have the opportunity to offroad the Grand Canyon area that trip, however, I may be there this spring. can I still hit some backroads in the Spring?

If the weather is good, spring is the best time to go. There's so much color around, it's difficult to believe that you're driving through high desert.

MEYJR 01-27-2013 11:35 AM

Me and the family are thinking of doing a grand canyon trip this summer. We would love to do a 3 or 4 day trail/camping trip while there. I am by no means an experienced off roader and my JK is pretty stock with excpetion of 2.5" lift and 33"s. Does anyone have any recommendations for this?

Thanks,
MEY

Hedwig 01-27-2013 12:39 PM

Most of the North Rim areas are easy. However, as with all trails, they're subject to the weather, and others traveling. The toughest area I've been through was Savanic Mine, up to the Grand Gulch Mine. I don't even know if the trail is open any longer.

Twin Point is a must see. Kelly Point is equal, except the trip there is a pain - not difficult, just very bumpy.

The Bar10 Ranch and their International Airport is a good place to stop and say hello. If you've been on the trail for a couple of days, they have showers with hot water. Then you can continue down the trail for another hour, and get to the overlook ---> straight down to the river.

I can shoot you some waypoints, if you use a Garmin and/or MapSource.

MEYJR 01-28-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedwig (Post 14862207)
Most of the North Rim areas are easy. However, as with all trails, they're subject to the weather, and others traveling. The toughest area I've been through was Savanic Mine, up to the Grand Gulch Mine. I don't even know if the trail is open any longer.

Twin Point is a must see. Kelly Point is equal, except the trip there is a pain - not difficult, just very bumpy.

The Bar10 Ranch and their International Airport is a good place to stop and say hello. If you've been on the trail for a couple of days, they have showers with hot water. Then you can continue down the trail for another hour, and get to the overlook ---> straight down to the river.

I can shoot you some waypoints, if you use a Garmin and/or MapSource.

That would be great. I do use a garmin. So how long are these trails? do you hop on one and take you a few days to complete a loop or do you take a day to drive to a point, stop and camp then drive back the same way you came the next day? I have no idea what we will be getting into. We have never done anything like this.

Hedwig 01-28-2013 02:58 PM

PM me with your e-mail address. I'll see what I can do.

herculz 02-03-2013 03:47 AM

When is it a good time to head down there? April May?

Hedwig 02-03-2013 12:57 PM

I'd suggest later on, so May. April might work, but the weather in that corner of the world is unpredictable.

In later May, you might get to see the wildflowers in bloom. I saw that once, and it really left an impression.

The time now is 03:46 AM.