First Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > First Jeep

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 07-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
MyRedWrangler
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First Jeep

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just got our first jeep. Its a 2005 Wrangler SE, still trying to figure out what all it has. I have never been off road in a Jeep before so if anyone has any tips or suggestions I would appreciate them. Don't want to screw up my first time out. We haven't taken it off the road yet, we are not sure if it is ready or even if we are. We are reading and trying to learn as much as we can about safety and the do's and don'ts. What would be a good beginner trail? Here are some pics of our Jeep. Thanks for all your help.

MyRedWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ready to off-road?
It's a Jeep, it's ready!

But seriously, congrats on the purchase. What area are you in? There should be some pretty easy trails near you to at least practice on.
This is a good video to watch as well, at least up to 4 minutes and 20 seconds. You may not have locking differentials:
Williamlv282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
MyRedWrangler
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I live in west Las Vegas near Summerlin. Thanks for the video.
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome MRW! Nice looking rig you have there. You certainly came to the right place for some tips and ideas to learn more about your jeep, we'll all be happy to offer our advice and opinions whether you like it or not

One of the best ways to learn about your rig's offroad capabilities is driving it offroad. Between all of the clubs / groups here in town you are pretty much guaranteed an opportunity to wheel with someone a few times a month at least. For example; WarMachines702.com is currently planning a run (organized jeep offroading trip) this Saturday morning out to Nelson NV which looks like your rig could handle without an issue. (Hard to tell with pics, but it looks like you have a 4" lift and 33" tires)

One important tip; NEVER WHEEL ALONE. Always have at least two rigs there to help with getting unstuck, guiding you through an obstacle (aka spotting), trail repairs, etc.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
MyRedWrangler
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
Welcome MRW! Nice looking rig you have there. You certainly came to the right place for some tips and ideas to learn more about your jeep, we'll all be happy to offer our advice and opinions whether you like it or not

One of the best ways to learn about your rig's offroad capabilities is driving it offroad. Between all of the clubs / groups here in town you are pretty much guaranteed an opportunity to wheel with someone a few times a month at least. For example; WarMachines702.com is currently planning a run (organized jeep offroading trip) this Saturday morning out to Nelson NV which looks like your rig could handle without an issue. (Hard to tell with pics, but it looks like you have a 4" lift and 33" tires)

One important tip; NEVER WHEEL ALONE. Always have at least two rigs there to help with getting unstuck, guiding you through an obstacle (aka spotting), trail repairs, etc.
Ty, I have checked out WarMachines702.com about the run this weekend, it will depend on the weather for me.
You have a good eye, the tires on our Jeep are 33" not sure on the lift. Still checking things out. Also thanks for the advise.
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRedWrangler View Post
Ty, I have checked out WarMachines702.com about the run this weekend, it will depend on the weather for me.
You have a good eye, the tires on our Jeep are 33" not sure on the lift. Still checking things out. Also thanks for the advise.
There's lots of stuff around here. I've highlighted a few of the trails (really I'm just scratching the surface) on my website below. Let me know if you want suggestions for some good trails. Check out the Las Vegas wheelin' thread as we organize runs. You might also want to check out the Desert Wranglers. They're sponsored by Chapman, and they do family friendly stuff that isn't too technical. Good for beginners and some friendly people.
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #7
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRedWrangler View Post
Welcome here and over there. When I was buying my Jeep, I read the TJ Technical forum here a lot to start getting an understanding of how things work. Just getting out on the trail with some peeps will help you understand what you have and what you want to do in the future.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice rig sir. welcome to the addiction.

You have a very beautifully built Jeep right there. It is as ready as it will ever for what a beginner will throw at it. the question as you mentioned is: "are you ready?" haha you will be fine.

as mentioned before, the best way to learn is experience. go out. find some trails. if you dont think you can do something, move on to something you think you can handle and come back to that challenge later. it all boils down to your comfort zone and learning to expand upon it.

I know nothing of the Las Vegas area as far as trails go, so I cant help you there. but as was mentioned before: LEARN BY DOING. find a friend with a jeep or join up with a local club and they will undoubtedly help you out with anything off road or on that you might be stuck in. Jeeps are more than a hobby or a club. its a family, and you will find that out very soon.

congrats and welcome.

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRedWrangler
Weather smeather.. LV only has a few days of beautiful weather a year, its either too hot, too cold, too windy, etc. Unless your running topless the weather shouldnt be an issue
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Greetings, looks like a pretty clean TJ you've got there, now go out and get it dirty!

there are several groups and clubs and bunches of random people that go on trail runs all the time, some times they post up here, sometimes they post up elsewhere, just keep oyur eyes peeled and you'll find a run to go on.

P.S. Rule number 1 is never wheel alone! Especially in unfamiliar areas. Bring a buddy

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez
Between all of the clubs / groups here in town you are pretty much guaranteed an opportunity to wheel with someone a few times a month at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
there are several groups and clubs and bunches of random people that go on trail runs all the time, some times they post up here, sometimes they post up elsewhere, just keep oyur eyes peeled and you'll find a run to go on.

P.S. Rule number 1 is never wheel alone! Especially in unfamiliar areas. Bring a buddy
Wow Marn.. looks like you almost typed my message verbatim. Maybe I should start copyrighting my material

J/K never hurts to reiterate the important stuff.

BTW MyRedWrangler, Now that I look at your pics again on an actual computer instead of my phone, I am positive you have at least a 4" lift, else there would have been no need to install the transfer case drop kit that's showing in the pics.
Unread 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

It seems the first thing you need to add to that jeep is some go-fast stickers. There are some guys on here that can point out the really effective ones.
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
MyRedWrangler
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the great advise everyone. I am looking forward to getting out there and seeing the country. Have a few things to get still. Air Compressor, hi-lift jack, fire extinguisher, ect.....

OOOO go fast stickers...... I wish, my wife only lets me have go slower stickers..... LMAO
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The best mod on that Jeep is the removal of the milk jugs fore and aft. You should think about some rock sliders/rocker panels and tranny/oil pan skid plate first. A lot of the wheelin' out here is scrambling over rocks and you'll want to protect the bottom and underside of your vehicle.
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
Wow Marn.. looks like you almost typed my message verbatim. Maybe I should start copyrighting my material

J/K never hurts to reiterate the important stuff.

BTW MyRedWrangler, Now that I look at your pics again on an actual computer instead of my phone, I am positive you have at least a 4" lift, else there would have been no need to install the transfer case drop kit that's showing in the pics.
you know me......i dont actually read anything anybody has posted other than myself and the OP.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.