Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 994 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #14896
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
ARs are gay. Just sayin.

Lol just getting you guys riled up but I'm not a fan. I've not saying you all are asshats but I've seen a bunch of them with ARs. I went shooting once with a guy who thought he was tough **** with an AR and a hi point 9mm. When I saw him pull out some "tactical" gloves to shoot I literally laughed in his face. I told him he should of used his glove money and bought a better hand gun. It was pretty awkward after that.
I agree. An SKS or AK costs a fraction of the what an AR does and they use one of the most common ammos in the world. I've got one of each and spent a fraction of the price of a cheap AR for both.

matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #14897
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Why so much hate for ARs? I have no issues with mine, i have put 3500-4000 rounds through mine and no real issues. Other then a few mag failues, i enjoy mine.
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #14898
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900 View Post
I agree. An SKS or AK costs a fraction of the what an AR does and they use one of the most common ammos in the world. I've got one of each and spent a fraction of the price of a cheap AR for both.
What do you figure a cheap AR costs? I seriously doubt you have spent a fraction of the price of what I did. Further, where do you live that you can find 7.62 more easily than .223? Mogadishu?

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #14899
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I love my mini 14. Have never had an issue and it as accurate as I am. I do need to add some optics though. It kills things just fine.
My brother bought his AR at the same time I bought the mini. He reloaded 1000 rds of .223 and was having feeding issues. Turns out he sized the cases just a little long and they wouldn't feed. The mini fed perfectly and blew thru a few mags with no issues.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #14900
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have nothing against rifles other than the AR-15. I would love to have a Mini 14. Beyond that, I would love to have a lot of other guns too, course I would love a gun room filled top to bottom For me, the price point is currently my downfall. I am saving so that I can finally throw a lift on my Jeep. My AR-15 while unfinished will be shootable in short order and costs half of what a new Ruger Mini 14 does.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #14901
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02
I have nothing against rifles other than the AR-15. I would love to have a Mini 14. Beyond that, I would love to have a lot of other guns too, course I would love a gun room filled top to bottom For me, the price point is currently my downfall. I am saving so that I can finally throw a lift on my Jeep. My AR-15 while unfinished will be shootable in short order and costs half of what a new Ruger Mini 14 does.
That's another thing I bought mine at a steal of a price. I paid $420 for it new about 7 yrs ago. Prices are just crazy on both guns and ammo.
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #14902
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
That is definitely a Sparks issue provided you are not riding the charging handle forward. You can plainly see that the round is getting caught in the locking lugs. That is a machining issue.
Yeah, like i said, other guy had the same issue with an upper from the same production run. prolly got a bad batch of barrel extensions on whoever the barrels came from (FN I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Boy am i glad i went with DPMS upper on my AR. My BIL almost talked me into getting spikes tactical upper. Good luck with getting the problem sorted. Also, how much do you want to sell the .223 for? I need some ammo.
1. Spikes is a reputable company, just seems to be having an issue here.

2. If I sell it, i'm not splitting. it'll be 1 package.

Quote:
Marn, did you send the picture that you posted here to Spikes?
They have seen that, and many other pics. I gave them a very clear description. I gave them such a concise description that they were just like "well...you tried everything we would have told you to try....so....just send it in" and I had an RMA that next day. They've had it for 2 weeks now. Customer service hasnt heard back from the armory yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900 View Post
And they are 'economy built' sloppy killing machines. AK's are fun and reliable, but you're comparing apples to oranges. I'm talking quality of parts, not even functionality. No crap a benz costs more than a kia. No crap a rifle made from hammer forged steel and milled aluminum or cast aluminum costs more than one made of plywood and stamped steel/rivets. lol

the AK was literally designed to be the cheapest easiest to use gun to kill as much as possible with anybody using it. Literally. It was designed for armies of millions. Alot of the comm block stuff is like that. cheap, built to low tolerances, but works 100%

Go get me a price on a milled AK and see how that compares to an AR.

Allow me to share a little anecdote with you....

My friend likes to buy the best of the best. He had a nice AR (BCM build with a 14.5" barrel with a pinned flash hider, not some amazing tack driver but a flaslessly functioning pretty accurate lil gun).

He bought an older Arsenal AK, that was built in romania or bulgaria or where ever they were before coming to las vegas. Milled receiver, one of the best barrels you can get on an AK, supposed to be one of the best AK's out there as far as fit and finish and accuracy, the whole 9 yards. This is a $1000 AK47 (remember, Your 'cheap' ak's are like $400-$500).

We're sitting out on a hill shooting at 12"x12" AR500 plates from 200 yards.

We start out shooting his lil AR.

Bang PING bang PING bang PING bang PING bang....bang PING Bang.....Bang PING.....you get the picture? probably 9 out of 10 hits from a kneeling position.

Grab his AK.

BANG....BANG...BANG...BANG...BANG...BANG.....BANG. ...BANG.....BANG.....BANG.....BANG........It was on target, we could see the shots hitting all within maybe 1'-2' of the plate, but sure as hell couldnt hit the steel.

Cool, $1000 AK that couldnt hit a 1' square from 600'

The point of an AR is to be versitile. You can make those 300+ yard shots (well, the M16 was designed for longer ranges with the barrel and twist rate, now out M4 type rifles seem to be a lil shorter but still) however its still just as useful in a closer environment.

AK is great in a crappy urban environment where you are going to be shooting at like 100 yards max, just look at the sights, its not made for any sort of distance. look at the safety/selector.....from safe you click down one notch into auto. then you click down another notch into semi. AUTO comes before semi. its a freakin blaster, thats what its designed for.

AR is a good middle ground rifle IMO. It's not going to reach out and hit as hard as an M1A but its a hell of alot more portable and easier to manuver with, not to mention increased ammo carry ability.

I have had alot of fun playing with AK's, but I wouldnt own one because i would find its abilities are too limited for what I see a 'primary' long gun needs.

Quote:
What do you figure a cheap AR costs? I seriously doubt you have spent a fraction of the price of what I did. Further, where do you live that you can find 7.62 more easily than .223? Mogadishu?
I know, theres a lot of DPMS stuff out there on slickguns.com and whatnot for low 500's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
I love my mini 14. Have never had an issue and it as accurate as I am. I do need to add some optics though. It kills things just fine.
My brother bought his AR at the same time I bought the mini. He reloaded 1000 rds of .223 and was having feeding issues. Turns out he sized the cases just a little long and they wouldn't feed. The mini fed perfectly and blew thru a few mags with no issues.
I loved my mini. I wwas running winchester white box at one point, chewing through it, gave a box to my buddy with an AR, his AR wouldnt feed it because it was .223 not 5.56

Quote:
Mini's ARE kinda spendy....

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #14903
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Damn Andrew, you are giving Khris a run for his money with the length of that post.
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #14904
sirhk100

I think he won!

On a side note, I really think people are becoming lazy when they can't stand to read a long post... LOL

Go to 7:20 if you're bored and have no attention span.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #14905
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

After all this crap talking I will probably own an AR some day. What will happen is I'll come across one so cheap I'll have to buy it.
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #14906
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio
After all this crap talking I will probably own an AR some day. What will happen is I'll come across one so cheap I'll have to buy it.
I got talked into it.

Also just an FYI I'm not saying any gun is better or worse nor am I trying to convince anybody to change their preferences. I am just putting my opinions out there. So with them what you please. P.s. I love arguing pretty much any point.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #14907
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
P.s. I love arguing pretty much any point.

pepsi or coke?

ford or chevy?

GO!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #14908
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Coke is better by far.

Chevy FTW
Grand_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #14909
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

coke sucks, I heard that their employees like little boys.

I did like that gun room, it was pretty rocking.
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #14910
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_ZJ
Coke is better by far.

Chevy FTW
Sorry grand you're crazy Pepsi any day. I used to be a die hard Chevy guy. That changed to American made only, to being a euro fan, to just loving cars. On road, off road, gas, diesel, veggie, 4 wheels, 2 wheels I like it all. I just appreciate engineering genius and the feats of man. I have a wish list of cars I hope to one day ride in. I need to update the list a little but I have the aerial atom and a 30's rolls left. It's great to find people that share the same enthusiasm I have for cars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.