Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 987 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSpartan Locker 1 day sale This Friday only!

Unread 08-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #14791
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Man apparently sarcasm can't be read. Haha

If people had common sense the world would be a better place. I'm not a fan of open carry. I see it causing more harm then good. Sure you can but I don't think you should just because you can. I think everyone should own a gun. Hell lets clean up the gene pool a little.

I just made a right turn at an intersection where this J A was standing in the cross walk just standing there waiting for the crosswalk to signal him to cross. So he stands in the road and I have to go around him because he's an idiot. Then I thought to myself I this was the early 1900's and I hit and killed him people would think it was his fault for standing in the road. If I would have hit him I would probably be lynched.

ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #14792
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
P.S. birdshot is a bad choice for defense.
It's a little long, but worth the view!

Unread 08-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #14793
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Speaking of guns my birthday is coming up on Sept 6th, which I forgot about until the wife said something haha But she said I can get a gun to replace the Beretta that I had. So I might get a G19 again as I've always loved those guns or maybe a sig or beretta.

Kind of excited to be able to get another gun.
Grand_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #14794
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
It's a little long, but worth the view!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3RV...e_gdata_player
will watch when i have a chance. I'm actually working at work today.

I know, weird right?

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #14795
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
You gun nuts and your level of paranoia is always amusing to me!!!

Continue on with your stories of shooting yourself or being shot etc by those sketchy non safe guns...

What happens if a chimpanzee escapes from your neighbors back yard which then scares a pigeon and it flys directly into your waist and it's beak pierces your holster squeezing the trigger? Oh crap!!! Wait, what if that chip gets pissed off and just pulls the gun from the holster itself? Maybe I should sell my glock and get something with a safety on it! I mean gosh...
paranoia really isn't part of the equation. If you wear a seatbelt in your truck, does that mean you're paranoid about getting into a crash?
While I admit, my rationale for not carrying a glock may be irrational, it's just an opinion. As I state before, ive never had a function issue with mine, but just don't trust it. Sort of like how some people refuse to carry a hammerless revolver! It's personal preference.
Providing a scenario that I so obviously sarcastic only serves to cheapen the conversation by portraying everyone as irrational idiots for trying to be prepared for the increasing possibility of a dangerous, life threatening encounter. There are seriously nutty and/or criminal people who do carry guns and wouldn't hesitate to use them to take your ish. So call me paranoid or stupid, or whatnot, but IF I ever really need my pistol, I'll be damn glad I've got it and had discussions like these to help prepare by getting others' opinions.
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #14796
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

I can promise you that that sidearm had an internal malfunction. As for someone grabbing you from behind, open carrying any firearm in a non-retention holster is a bad idea. If it takes you a couple of seconds to click off a safety, you need more training. A good retention holster (not a thumb break) keeps the gun on your side buying you enough time.
Unless the guy getting the gun from you is mildly familiar with it, it will take them a moment to get the safety off. Some click up, while others click down. A typical person would draw and threaten first, which buys even more time.
I agree about retention holsters for open carry, but like sturgio and I said, open carry is more of a hassle than needs to be...at least in the city. Hiking, jeeping, etc, open carry is fine.
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #14797
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Open carry isnt the best idea unless you are trained in weapon retention.

you mentioned it taking him an extra second or two to get your gun figured out. So.....you're a triple mega raging black blue red yellow green belt rthat can subdue and disarm a determined criminal in 2 seconds? Lol. Just food for thought.

thats just my opinion. Out of sight, out of mind is my motto, but different strokes for different folks.

Only time I ever regularly OC is when camping and sometimes when wheeling/hiking. All of which generally do not involve close proximity to strangers.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 08-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #14798
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So.....you're a triple mega raging black blue red yellow green belt rthat can subdue and disarm a determined criminal in 2 seconds? Lol. Just food for thought.
Yes! I'm a ninja! Seriously though, those two seconds are enough to get turned around and remove his control over the gun. Grab it and get it pointed in some other direction! Maybe not disarm, but can definitely take away some of the advantage. I agree totally that it's just asking for trouble. I used FTP open carry everywhere, then I matured a bit and got more paranoid(Khris) and realized that it's not a great idea to announce to everyone that you have a gun and if someone is determined enough, they can have it for free!
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #14799
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

*to open carry, not FTP! Effing auto spell and fat fingering the keyboard!
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #14800
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Yes! I'm a ninja! Seriously though, those two seconds are enough to get turned around and remove his control over the gun. Grab it and get it pointed in some other direction! Maybe not disarm, but can definitely take away some of the advantage. I agree totally that it's just asking for trouble. I used FTP open carry everywhere, then I matured a bit and got more paranoid(Khris) and realized that it's not a great idea to announce to everyone that you have a gun and if someone is determined enough, they can have it for free!
we should try that some time with a holstered cocked and locked airsoft gun sometime.

i bet almost all of us wearing holsters would go home with BB welts.

Quote:

Unread 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #14801
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

we should try that some time with a holstered cocked and locked airsoft gun sometime.

i bet almost all of us wearing holsters would go home with BB welts.
Probably would. The gun I carried was a double action, and was not cocked like a 1911 is. If you pull the trigger with the safety on, the hammer an trigger still move, but nothing else. A 1911 gives no hesitation. Once it clicks the round is out.
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #14802
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Unless the guy getting the gun from you is mildly familiar with it, it will take them a moment to get the safety off. Some click up, while others click down. A typical person would draw and threaten first, which buys even more time.
I agree about retention holsters for open carry, but like sturgio and I said, open carry is more of a hassle than needs to be...at least in the city. Hiking, jeeping, etc, open carry is fine.
I agree with you on open carrying be more of a hassle than need be but I still disagree on how long it takes someone to figure out a safety. Up or down doesn't matter, how long does it take for you to slide your thumb over the safety? It it clicks... boom. If it doesn't, you slide your thumb the other way then... boom.

Drawing and threatening shouldn't even be in the equation because while they are threatening, they are also working the safety or at least I would be.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #14803
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Let's keep this going! Steel versus aluminum! GO! Haha
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #14804
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG
Let's keep this going! Steel versus aluminum! GO! Haha
I knew it! This is all your fault! Haha
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #14805
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Also, there's a difference between 'jamming' and 'malfunctioning'

A 'jam' would require a trip to a gunsmith.

LOL, magazine-clip... Tubing-pipe... DGAF, you know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
paranoia really isn't part of the equation. If you wear a seatbelt in your truck, does that mean you're paranoid about getting into a crash?
While I admit, my rationale for not carrying a glock may be irrational, it's just an opinion. As I state before, ive never had a function issue with mine, but just don't trust it. Sort of like how some people refuse to carry a hammerless revolver! It's personal preference.
Providing a scenario that I so obviously sarcastic only serves to cheapen the conversation by portraying everyone as irrational idiots for trying to be prepared for the increasing possibility of a dangerous, life threatening encounter. There are seriously nutty and/or criminal people who do carry guns and wouldn't hesitate to use them to take your ish. So call me paranoid or stupid, or whatnot, but IF I ever really need my pistol, I'll be damn glad I've got it and had discussions like these to help prepare by getting others' opinions.
Watch out for floor mats if you drive a toyota, watch out for exploding tires if you drive an explorer (uh oh!!!), Suzuki's spontaneously roll over and throttles stick wide open on every car ever made. So really you probably shouldn't drive to be honest!

As for the underlined part, If you fear for your life that much around town you should probably stay home, the worlds a dangerous place! Yet somehow I don't think any of us have pulled a weapon on someone in public in fear of our life. I don't carry in public, I'm also not scared in public either though and that's why I don't carry.

To be 100% honest, I wear my seat belt because yes, I am a bit paranoid of others on the road! I'm far far far far more worried about getting in a wreck then I am about being attacked at McDonalds munching on my big mac or at the movies. Actually I'll be at spiderman tonight around 5:50 at sams town if anyone wants to come in blasting. I won't be packing!!! You're safe... From me at least...

Quote:
and got more paranoid(Khris) and realized that it's not a great idea to announce to everyone that you have a gun!
It's amazing that that's not common sense for everyone and that people do open carry.

If you carry daily and all that I completely support your choice! I just don't feel it's that scary of a world to feel the need to carry my gun for protection. I guess that's just me... I'm single, no kids, etc... We all die eventually and if some crazed dude takes me out, hopefully I don't see it coming is all I can say. Life will go on for everyone else and I've got no regrets with how I've lived my life so I'll continue on without the urge to carry a gun in fear that some crazed loon will cross my path.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.