Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 98 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #1456
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Timeframe for the trip?

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #1457
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

We will head out from Starbucks by around 930, and be done whenever everyone has seen enough I guess. Don't know how long it takes to get to the potosi mine, but we'll find out. No set schedule for return times
Unread 10-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #1458
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Hello everyone. We just moved to Vegas a few months ago and I just got another zj to explore the old ghost towns and mines with. Can you guys recommend a nice trail with some old mines or structures to start out on with just me and the wife? I have a 2" lift and 31's but am still waiting on belly armor. I have heard rumors that in some places being armed is a great thing because there are marijuana farmers with A.K.'s a gillie suits. I heard this from law enforcement. I am looking for a nice enjoyable weekend camping trip with out any loud imbeciles around. I have a shotgun I can bring.

Thanks,

Mike
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #1459
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Polka, we are planning a trip to potosi mine on Sunday, but if you want to roll solo, there's a lot of postings by "youstupidbunny" about goodsprings area with gps coordinates. Hope we don't come across the guys with AKs that you mentioned. By the time we would see them, it might be too late.
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #1460
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Polka, we are planning a trip to potosi mine on Sunday, but if you want to roll solo, there's a lot of postings by "youstupidbunny" about goodsprings area with gps coordinates. Hope we don't come across the guys with AKs that you mentioned. By the time we would see them, it might be too late.
Yea, that really got me spooked. The area the police just busted a pot farm is around wheel someplace. I was going to run wheeler alone but now after hearing this I think a group is the best option. potosi looks fun. I just didn't know the difficulty involved. If it's a mining trail then there should be very moderate obstacles I would think. I don't wanna sound like a sissy but I can't afford to break stuff at the moment which is why I am being very selective. Thanks for the info. I will talk to the wife and see if she wants to get out there on Sunday.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #1461
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I have heard rumors that in some places being armed is a great thing because there are marijuana farmers with A.K.'s a gillie suits. I heard this from law enforcement.
I hope your law enforcement friend was just kidding. He had to be. The first marijuana farm around here was just found within the past few months. The second was found soon after in the same area. There haven't been farms found before that. There probably are others, but still not sure where the ghillie suit and AK thing came from. I've never even heard of anyone accidentally stumbling across a pot farm.

I think many here carry when out wheeling, but not in case we stumble across any pot farms. I'm more worried about drunk hillbillies. Any animal I've come across was either very friendly or very scared.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #1462
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
...there's a lot of postings by "youstupidbunny" about goodsprings area with gps coordinates.
Polka, the Potosi area is a good intro to local trails. Most of the area is stock friendly. I've run the trails there probably too many times. 4WD is rarely needed and any obstacles in the way can be avoided.
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #1463
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
We will head out from Starbucks by around 930, and be done whenever everyone has seen enough I guess. Don't know how long it takes to get to the potosi mine, but we'll find out. No set schedule for return times
It doesn't look like it, but it's quite a hike up there. I'll end this post with a video someone took of the hike and some inside the mine.

Be very careful in there. It's a multi-level mine with lots of vents to nowhere.

Here are the coordinates to the Potosi Mine:
35°57'39.00"N 115°32'16.73"W

Unread 10-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #1464
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks so much Ysb, you are awesome.
Unread 10-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #1465
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here's a map of the area for you. As you can see, there are plenty of places to visit in that area. Potosi Mine is about 10:00 of center. The image file size should be large enough for printing. Always good to have a printed map to go along with your GPS.

You can take Cottonwood Pass from Blue Diamond (160) all the way to Goodsprings. It's a nice drive. More to see further south than around Potosi anyway.

I wish I could make the trip, but my wife just had sinus surgery yesterday. Maybe Tuesday we can start getting out again.
image3.jpg  
Unread 10-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #1466
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

One more thing about the Potosi Mine. Our multi-gas reader detected inside oxygen levels below 18% within a few feet of entering. In some areas it dipped below 16%, but that 16% was only after descending a few levels. We quickly got the hell out of there. 21% is what we normally breathe.

The difference between 21, 18 and 16% doesn't sound like much. Let's put it this way: 21(20.9)% is normal. 18% is fatigue, light-headed, dizzy, winded. 16% is unconscious and dead.

There are plenty of easier and safer mines.
Unread 10-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #1467
Tagsrover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny
One more thing about the Potosi Mine. Our multi-gas reader detected inside oxygen levels below 18% within a few feet of entering. In some areas it dipped below 16%
Multi-gas reader?...you mean pet canary right?
Tagsrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #1468
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

My canary's name is Multi-gas reader.

A canary would have been cheaper. Pigeons would have been free and nobody would miss a pigeon. I miss my multi-gas sensor. I lost it or someone stole it.

Random memory: There was an Navy Enlisted club I used to visit that had a talking parrot. Mostly, it would just repeat drinks it knew. The club was later changed to a dance club with booming bass. Poor parrot went a bit mad and he started mixing up every phrase he knew before and would cuss at everything. "Fck beer! Fck beer!".
Unread 10-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #1469
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ysb that parrot was just like the bartender in boondock saints!!! Lol too funny. Any idea what o2 % is at 13000'? Just curious cause that's the wheeler peak summit in great basin.
Unread 10-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #1470
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Anybody have an approximate round trip time?

I've got a wedding reception to go to sunday night...and I think Yojik will be under similar time restraints as well, considering he's the groom.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.