Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#19,221 ·
Right on with the fab! Didn't know so was just tossing out the offer.

BTW, I've been looking for some how to lessons lately so that maybe I could out cook Merrick and I found this amazing instructional series on youtube that I really do think you all should check out! Especially you married guys! The wife will thank you in so many ways! Trust me!

Maybe make some turkey?

And xmas pudding!!!

the guy is pretty versatile too! He even shows how to make your own app for you iphone users!

#19,223 ·
Since everyone is posting their activities and issues I'll join in...

Tuesday night WM702 and friends did a run out to Nelson NV, at the meeting spot LittleMike's old YJ was squealing like a stuck pig and smoking with an electrical fire smell. Turns out his AC compressor is shot and the bearings were toasting. He doesn't have the cash to replace it right now so we decided to put on a shorter belt and bypass it. Replaced the upper idler pulley as well because it was shot. He also mentioned his heater isn't working and that his engine temp never really moves so we decided to check the thermostat while the belt was off, put in a thermostat 'cause there was not one in it at all, then in the process of putting it back together, torqued the bottom bolt too tight and stripped the threads so it was leaking. Took it back apart, then after reading a few ideas on wrangler & jeep forums figure we're gonna have to drill it out then either tap it or put in a helicoil, decided we're gonna need some room to get a drill in there.. Took out the radiator, fan shroud, and fan and found the water pump is shot too. LOOOOOONG day. So now his rig is sitting in my garage in pieces, none of us have any knowledge, experience or the right tools (right angle drill) to figure out the best way to get that bottom bolt fixed. At about 19:30 (we started around 09:00) my wife told us we were done for the night. I gave Mike the keys to my Honda and sent him home.

I can't work on it today and I am leaving town tomorrow to visit inlaws across the country.

#19,224 ·
So he's got a new ride for a bit at least! LOL

I don't own a right angle but I have like a 45 degree angle one you guys can borrow if needed? There's also right angle heads that can be used on a standard drill that are fairly cheap at home depot/lowes.

It all sounds like a pain in the butt but also sounds like you guys are at least catching issues that could've been much worse if not caught now.

#19,227 ·
Just a suggestion....DO NOT use helicoil on water pump nor thermostat housing bolt holes! Many times, the bolt holes enter the water jackets, and helicoils are asking for a persistent leak! Drill it with the smallest possible drill bit and tap it. If he's OCD or anal retentive, do the other/s as well for the same size bolts. Otherwise mark the different sized on for future reference! Make sure your drill is aligned straight, or again, it will leak or just won't torque right!

#19,228 ·
Also, use a shop back while drilling an tapping the holes to keep shavings out of everything. A cheapy HF right angle drill and HF taps should get the job done inexpensively....

#19,231 ·
Cheapie AR 15's are now hovering at/above 2k!!! NO HC mags available anywhere for less than $40/ea! It's winding up!!! Craziness! The gun show will be an absolute madhouse next weekend! Who's going?!

#19,237 ·
I'll check to see if I've got an easy out for you. Let me know I might be able to come over and help.
Not sure if you can get them at Home Depot but something we use in the aviation industry are left handed drill bits. They will bite in while you are drilling out the bolt and 9 out of ten times they will work much like an easy out.

#19,239 ·
Well, I verified zero on my AR today. I was hitting Terry's new steel silhouette at 200 yards, off hand, on iron sights. That's good enough for me with a magpul BUIS.

I'll let him tell you how his remington 700 is shooting...(which is pretty awesome).

I'm super psyched though. My handloads all went off without a hitch! Fired 8 all together, in 2 different flavors. Tried it with a full magazine and none of them compressed or expanded.

the awesome part....I hit the steel target at 200 yards, off hand on the 2nd shot with the .45-70 hahahaha. And here Terry is making fun of it for having no range!

See it out there?

No?

How about now?

Well, I nailed it! a little off center...but not bad considering the round and the rifle and the shooter.

Had a fun few hours, I took my Dad shooting. I feel like this is a passtime a lot of kids had, but it wasnt until I was 25 years old that I had the opportunity to go shooting with my dad, haha. We never had guns, i mean, we'd shoot around with the pellet guns and all, but still. He's never owned any guns or anything, pretty decent shot with everytihng I've handed him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.