Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 95 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 10-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #1411
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Leaving for Bonanza Hill in a few minutes. See you men later.

YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #1412
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

For the most part, today was a good day. My wife and I spent the past 5-6 hours looking around the Nevada and California border. Right around the Table Mountain area. I usually post coordinates to places we visit, but I won't be doing that this time. I don't want someone killing themselves in these.

We found a total of 11 mines. Some were extremely hazardous with wood covering vertical shafts in the floors. All were covered with dirt making them very easy to miss if you're not looking for such hazards.

Here is an example of one of the dangerous mines. This hazard isn't as obvious as some of the others we found in this area. You can see the entrance floor is wood. What you can't see is just below that is a vertical shaft. A rock tossed in took 9 seconds to reach the bottom. At 32 feet per second, that drop is roughly 288 feet. Now, imagine a covered floor like that in the dark.
img_2447.jpg  
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #1413
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Some of the mines were using wood supports like what you see here. This one collapsed long time ago, but someone else was trying to dig their way in. Don't do that.
img_2262.jpg  
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #1414
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

This shaft only went back about 30 feet, but it was a wide chamber. This place was very creepy. You can see the gay magazine there on the floor. If being gay is your thing, I have no issues with you, but this magazine was in German and the content was violent. It was men tying up and torturing other men. You can see the chain next to the magazine. There were chains bolted to the walls in various spots.

There was also a large pile of straw under the chains attached to the wall. It looked like it was placed there as bedding. I stepped on the pile in a few places and honestly expected to step on a body. Remember that scene in Pulp Fiction? It was like that, but creepier. We left with a feeling that bad things happened there.
img_2303.jpg  
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #1415
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Does anyone know if any of Nevada was formed by volcanic activity? This area appeared to have igneous rocks. There were bubbles in the rocks that would indicate the heating and cooling of magma, but I haven't read about any volcanic history here.
img_2291.jpg  
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #1416
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

This is the last and one of the best pictures of the day. The light from that vent shaft is deceiving. It would appear that we were near the surface, but we were about 3 shaft levels down and probably close to 100 feet below. The sun was catching that vent just right.

It would be very easy to get lost in there. A tunnel could split three ways and each of those could split another three.
img_2425.jpg  
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #1417
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

The day was mostly great, but I don't know if I lost a bag or if someone stole it. Either way, I am out almost $1000 worth of equipment which included: Sony Camera, 500 feet of climbing ropes, rope accessories, harnesses and my multi gas sensor.

The multi-gas sensor reads air quality. A cheap one is over $200 and ours wasn't the cheap model. We used to use it when my wife and I were exploring caves, but it works just as well in mines. The only thing I can take some comfort in was the camera was my old one. I still have my good Olympus.

I don't think the bag was stolen, but it is a possibility. We only came across two other people all day. Nice, older couple. We even exchanged email addresses, so I don't think it was them. I probably just set it down somewhere and left it. Damn.
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #1418
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ysb, you rock! I can't get enough of these mines. I found the anniversary mine near lake mead that is at least three levels high. Explored the bottom level only though. I only went in not worrying about air quality because there is a constant strong breeze. Thanks for the pics
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #1419
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Does anyone know if any of Nevada was formed by volcanic activity? This area appeared to have igneous rocks. There were bubbles in the rocks that would indicate the heating and cooling of magma, but I haven't read about any volcanic history here.
Sonovabich. Answered my own question. One of the mines we visited today is called the Volcano Mine. Here is the caldera (crater) from Google Earth. I drove my Jeep in a damn volcano! Awesome!
volcano.jpg  
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #1420
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
I only went in not worrying about air quality because there is a constant strong breeze. Thanks for the pics
A breeze doesn't always mean the air is safe. In fact, a breeze can even make the air more unsafe. CO2 and methane are common in caves and mines. Both gases are heavier than O2 and settle along the floor and lower levels.

People have gone into a mine or cave just fine, but as they entered, their feet and movement stirred the methane and CO2 creating dangerous breathing air. It's on their way out that many people fall from bad air.

It's easy to think that a breeze means good air, but depending on how well the lower shafts are ventilated, a breeze can actually push bad air from the lower shafts up.

If you're a MMA fan like I am, you can see how quickly someone can get choked out. Someone can pass out from bad air in as little as ten seconds. death in under two minutes.
Unread 10-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #1421
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

YSB- Yeah, I work for a soda company and co2 can drop you quick. It makes you slightly light headed at first kind of like when you are hiking hard!!! The next step is lights out! Once your down you never knew what hit you. Thanks for the heads up with the breeze. It's a shame cause mines and caves are way cool, but kind of scary too for that reason.
Unread 10-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #1422
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
...and co2 can drop you quick. It makes you slightly light headed at first kind of like when you are hiking hard!!! The next step is lights out! Once your down you never knew what hit you.
Exactly. Most people won't even know they are in trouble because the symptom of being light-headed can just be from the hiking. You'll fall to the floor and start breathing in higher concentrations of CO2 and the lower level.
If you pass out from CO2 in a mine or a cave, you'll likely never come out alive. If you feel a good breeze like what you felt, just stay on the upper levels and you should be fine.

My wife and I have been exploring caves for about 15 years now. Exploring them looks as simple as just walking around with a flashlight. I'm not at all trying to say exploring mines and caves is difficult, but there are so many ways you can die in them. Once you learn good habits, it is that simple. It only really gets difficult when you are ascending and descending shafts.

Something else you should do is get into the habit of keeping the flashlight towards your feet unless you are stopped. Before you start moving again, shine the light at your feet again even if you are 100% sure the floor is safe. Also, carry a spare flashlight. Not spare batteries. A spare flashlight.
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #1423
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, we did that without realizing it. I didn't want to trip on anything or fall through something. In mma, when choked out, it's actually the blood flow to the brain that's pinched off, not air flow. Takes 1-2 minutes to blackout from no air, seconds when blood is pinched correctly. Crazy huh?
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #1424
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSW214 View Post
Well We are going back to the Carole Lombard Crash Site...

see if this link works?

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...c346a89&type=1
Mike, I just checked the link of pictures you attached. Hope you don't mind me grabbing and editing one of the pictures from your page.

If you were at the 99 Mine Cabin, you were close to the crash site. You actually captured the site in the picture. I added a blue arrow to show you how close. That should also give you an idea of the hike ahead.

There's really not much up there anymore. Unless you are a huge Lombard fan, the effort likely will not match the reward.
310912_2050502745315_1326880948_31864373_869962433_n.jpg  

Last edited by YouStupidBunny; 10-04-2011 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Forgot to attach picture.
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #1425
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
If being gay is your thing, I have no issues with you, but this magazine was in German and the content was violent.
So, is it just gay german thugs that bother you?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.