Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 943 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Reply
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #14131
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
I have been having a crap day. Got up and by the time I got to work, I had 5 missed calls on my cell. I called back only to find out that a friend of mine committed suicide this morning. He hadn't really been the same since his second trip to the sandbox a few years ago. Before he was always quick to a smile, always laughing. When he came back he was a completely different person. Weird thing is that I am more pissed off at him than I am saddened.
I'm very sorry for your loss. I know what you mean when you say you're more angry than saddened, suicide is difficult to deal with. Its a really strange emotion, alot different than losing somebody because of an accident or illness or something.

One of my best friends committed suicide last year, and another good friend has attempted several times over the years. Almost exactly a year ago actually, it was very difficult for alot of us. I was out with him the night it happened, we made plans for the next weekend and everything.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the loss, if you need/want to talk about it, let me know.

__________________
-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #14132
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
Crap I feel good today. I don't know what it is but I'm just really happy today. I'm either going to die or be horribly maimed today but right now I'm good.
dont chop your finger with an axe, that'll put a damper on the day.
__________________
-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #14133
Powrjunkey
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las vegas, Nevada
Posts: 4,551
Andy, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. As marn offered, any of us can lend an ear an some brews. if you need us, we're here!
I will keep my suicide opinions to myself so as to not offend anyone. It's a tragic loss either way. Our military leaders need to step up and help.
__________________
The difference between stupidity and ignorance. Ignorance is doing something wrong and not knowing better. Stupidity is knowing better, but doing it anyway. Don't be stupid!
Powrjunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #14134
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
LOL, I'm mostly giving you crap in good fun but damn you're a picky axle buyer!!! Are you expecting to find brand new off the shelf axles in someone's garage for like $23 and a 6 pack of coors or what?
hasha, I know where you're coming from, but lets look at it this way:

The exact item I want is out there, it was a factory option, so there should be PLENTY of them sitting around in the exact configuration I want.

Why pay more for something that isnt exact, or requires more work?

The first set I had lined up in tucson was $100 for the axles and a set of rims. That was supposed to be the exact item I wanted, with steering and u-bolt plates and everything.

The set i just posted requires me to grind a bunch of brackets off and is missing the plates and is in unknown condition.

The second set i have dibs on are outisde of LA. Again, exactly what I want, they're under a 74 waggy, and the price is "just give me whatever you feel like" though they dont come with wheels.

Those, however, we are unsure of the ratio as well. She's going to check for me this weekend and I will be able to get them in a month or two when she moves.



People say 'regear' or even get the ones above and remove the brackets. I just figure, why do extra work for more money when what i want already exists, just a lil more searching and waiting is all. I'd rather wait for the exact item at a deal than just buy something different, or over pay ya know?

P.S. that FJ is freaking amazing.
__________________
-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #14135
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Andy, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. As marn offered, any of us can lend an ear an some brews. if you need us, we're here!
I will keep my suicide opinions to myself so as to not offend anyone. It's a tragic loss either way. Our military leaders need to step up and help.
woah woah woah woah OI didn't say anyhting about sharing my beer! Or my beer money!

Haha, just kidddinggggggggg. I'll take any excuse to down a brew.
__________________
-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #14136
andy02
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Posts: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
I will keep my suicide opinions to myself so as to not offend anyone. Our military leaders need to step up and help.
I would actually like to hear your opinion, I have a couple of my own.

There was nothing military leaders could have done. My buddy got out of the military at the end of his enlistment about a year and a half ago. He was working for an auto body repair shop in TX. He was just never really the same after his second tour over there. I haven't called his widow yet. I just don't know what I would say to her.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
No one really knows the reason for LCOG Jeeps.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.


September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #14137
ksturgio
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

I would actually like to hear your opinion, I have a couple of my own.

There was nothing military leaders could have done. My buddy got out of the military at the end of his enlistment about a year and a half ago. He was working for an auto body repair shop in TX. He was just never really the same after his second tour over there. I haven't called his widow yet. I just don't know what I would say to her.
One of my friends had just finished gunsmithing school and had just moved back and had set up a little shop. He was living with his parents and left them a note and shot himself in the driveway. His parents found him when they got home from church. He said he had been "sick" for a long time and couldn't do it anymore. I went to see his parents that evening and there really wasn't anything to say. I think just showing my support was more of a help then anything I said.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #14138
sirhk100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,490
See, me personally... $100 and driving to tucson vs. $300 and a little bit of work local. I'm going $300 and a little bit of work but that's just me. Round trip gas to tucson in a truck would've been $100 minimum plus an entire day and didn't you say you were having to rent a truck too? How were those $100 axles really going to be any cheaper all said and done? Extra $100, 30 minutes in grinding and the axles are probably installed that same day without loosing a complete day of your life on an epicly boring drive. LOL That's if they were the same gearing. I'm a bit lost on which ones were geared with what and which gears you want. Hell, swing by my house with those and I'll cut the damn perches off for you, I'm pretty quick at that kinda stuff, just cover the cut off wheels and a 12 pack of mtn dew. LOL

Do you know the person in Tucson or La with the axles? If not, then you don't know the true condition of those axles either. I'm selling my jeep and my car. I would sell my jeep to any one of you on here, I wouldn't sell my car to anyone on here but when someone comes to look at it, you can damn well bet I'm saying it's in great condition! Sold as is... LOL

Like I said, I'm just playing a-hole devil's advocate... Have you looked at that one that's in the pic-a-part on boulder by chance? I "might" be in there this weekend, is there a way to ID exactly what you're looking for?
__________________
Khris

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #14139
Powrjunkey
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las vegas, Nevada
Posts: 4,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio

One of my friends had just finished gunsmithing school and had just moved back and had set up a little shop. He was living with his parents and left them a note and shot himself in the driveway. His parents found him when they got home from church. He said he had been "sick" for a long time and couldn't do it anymore. I went to see his parents that evening and there really wasn't anything to say. I think just showing my support was more of a help then anything I said.
Did his parent live on the easy side at lamb and charleston? This a few years back? May have been my neighbor!
__________________
The difference between stupidity and ignorance. Ignorance is doing something wrong and not knowing better. Stupidity is knowing better, but doing it anyway. Don't be stupid!
Powrjunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #14140
ksturgio
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey

Did his parent live on the easy side at lamb and charleston? This a few years back? May have been my neighbor!
Nope north side of town.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #14141
sirhk100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,490
Here's that same FJ currently... Like I said, why take something that insanely built and basically throw it all away and go a completely different route, starting from stock would've saved a ton of money but I guess when you're richer then rich decisions like that probably just don't matter.

I'll admit, I'm not too scared to cut up a perfectly good truck but this is way more ballsy then I am!!!
























Think toyota had any clue someone would do something like this? LOL






Seriously, I wonder what it's like to be rich... Yeah, I have a lot of toys but you know what, most of them are self built. I don't even know what it's like to be able to just drop something off and pick it up done. That's such a cool concept to me!
__________________
Khris

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #14142
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
See, me personally... $100 and driving to tucson vs. $300 and a little bit of work local. I'm going $300 and a little bit of work but that's just me. Round trip gas to tucson in a truck would've been $100 minimum plus an entire day and didn't you say you were having to rent a truck too? How were those $100 axles really going to be any cheaper all said and done? Extra $100, 30 minutes in grinding and the axles are probably installed that same day without loosing a complete day of your life on an epicly boring drive. LOL That's if they were the same gearing. I'm a bit lost on which ones were geared with what and which gears you want. Hell, swing by my house with those and I'll cut the damn perches off for you, I'm pretty quick at that kinda stuff, just cover the cut off wheels and a 12 pack of mtn dew. LOL

Do you know the person in Tucson or La with the axles? If not, then you don't know the true condition of those axles either. I'm selling my jeep and my car. I would sell my jeep to any one of you on here, I wouldn't sell my car to anyone on here but when someone comes to look at it, you can damn well bet I'm saying it's in great condition! Sold as is... LOL

Like I said, I'm just playing a-hole devil's advocate... Have you looked at that one that's in the pic-a-part on boulder by chance? I "might" be in there this weekend, is there a way to ID exactly what you're looking for?
Again, I understand completely where you're coming from.

I love road trips. I love driving long distances, and havent done so in a while so a trip to tucson would be nice. Originally the girl was going to ride with me and we were going to stay over night and make a date weekend out of it.

Axles/wheels = $100
Gas = $130.00
Rental = $30.00

Total: $260 plus a 'fun' day. I know, there isnt much difference.

Yes, i know the people in Tucson and LA. One is a mod on IFSJA, and one is a member over there that I have met personally.

Part of it is also just wanting to deal with people I know/like rather than some person on CL.

I'm looking for a set of axles from a 74-79 Wagoneer. Not j truck, not cherokee unless its narrow track. Must be equipped with discs in the front.

I'm looking for 3.54 gear ratio, which is factory tow package. Regualr gear ratio is 3.07 for those years. I dont want that (I currently have 3.31's, tow package from 73)

And lastly, the axles I pick up are going to be refurbished 100% before placing them under my truck. I dont mean gears and stuff, but seals, u joints, ball joints, bearings, wheel cylinders, drums, shoes, calipers, pads, and rotors, etc. no sense in putting in some iffy ones and having to do the work under the truck. I'd like them 'fresh' when they go in.

I guess there's nothing wrong with taking a look at those local ones, even though they would be more, and dont include wheels. I figured I could sell off the rims (which i dont want) to offset some of the cost for new rims.
__________________
-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #14143
andy02
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Posts: 3,729
The rear suspension on that has me scratching my head. Why are the bumpstops set so high that the only way the axle could touch is if it were broken? Where exactly is the control arm attached to on the frame? It looks like there might be another cross member up there somewhere?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
No one really knows the reason for LCOG Jeeps.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.


September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #14144
sirhk100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
The rear suspension on that has me scratching my head. Why are the bumpstops set so high that the only way the axle could touch is if it were broken? Where exactly is the control arm attached to on the frame? It looks like there might be another cross member up there somewhere?
Okay, lets see if I can make this make any sense... Why they're doing it? Ehhh, can't really say. Maybe they want to over complicate things to be cool and different? Not really seeing what they're working with the shock mounting options may have dictated some if it also where they're trying to cram as much as they can into a small area/package.

With that said, here's a shot from the rear. It's just your typical nothing special 4 link system like what some guys (garza for instance) do on the rear of their jeeps.




On the jeeps though, most people are mounting their shocks and coils on the axle which doesn't really take advantage of leverage to allow you to get more travel out of the system then the shock/coil package will stroke.

So the 4 links are locating the axle and keeping it from moving around in ways it shouldn't...

On that picture above, see the sway bar looking links? Those are going to those large arms you see in the side profile shot. They are acting both as the mechanism that's supporting the weight of the vehicle and the shocks as well as working as the sway bar all in one shot. In this picture you can see they kind of tuck up in there to a pivot where the torsion bar (sway bar) is going across the cab.




So at the far right end of the arm as pictured above but blocked by the tire is that link going down to the axle. The bumpstop is so far up cause I'm assuming they've got it actually striking on that sway bar arm also.

Pretty trick, is it strong? Ehhh, I'd for sure say the weak link is in those links between the axle and sway bar arm since those are supporting the whole vehicle's weight. It'll probably do fine but man are those things seeing some force.


Does that make any sense? Like I said, why to do it that way? Who knows... Million ways to skin a cat and this one sure stands out from the crowd! Kinda like the picture I posted of that white expo yesterday or the day before. Pretty cool but kinda complicated. Then again, if you see video of it going, it works really darn good so it's hard to judge by any means!
__________________
Khris

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #14145
sirhk100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,490
wow that was easier to find then I thought, here's video of that explorer with the crazy rear. They did it cause the shocks typically need to be right where the rear seats are if you link an exploder and they wanted to keep it a 4 seater so this allows the shocks to move behind the axle while still working fine. It's basically the same thing the FJ has done only that upper are is going to the back bumper on the explorer rather then forward like on this FJ.

There's no shock tuning in this, it's just how it worked right out of the box from what I understand.

__________________
Khris

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.