Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#18,701 ·
I have noticed a pretty funny trend with the new jeeps though. You can add some of the options after the fact and save some money. For example they want 390 for the towing package. You can get a plug and play set up from Quadratech for $89 right now. Then the autostart is a $495 option, yet you can get the kit right from mopar for $249 and install it yourself.

#18,703 ·
Wait, what? Are you serious on that tire charge for nitrogen? I get my bottle filled for $15!!! I don't know how many tires it would do but I'm sure it would do way more then 4! LOL I only use it on shocks... Well and maybe air tools on race day in the pits.

#18,704 ·
There's motorheads in here. I don't even have sound on this computer so I don't know what the sound is but I know this buggy very well and if it's not edited with music, trust me, it's worth the watch for the exhaust note alone! 8 into 1 at it's finest!

#18,705 ·
someone talk me out of getting a new jeep. Right now I am having issues and here is my current problem, the 2013 wranglers now have dual spray nozzels for cleaning the windshield.

Nah honestly here is what I am looking at... I can use my usaa pricing or Chapman is offering "friends and family pricing" to everyone. Either one of those gets me about 1% below invoice. On top of that I have $500 military discount and a $500 Loyalty certificate. But the kicker is that they are offering another $1k for current VW owners??? http://www.jeep.com/en/incentives/bonus_incentives/#vw_conquest_bonus_cash
So basically I can get almost 5k off of msrp without even haggling or anything. I am also guessing since all of my rebates are corporate level rebates, the dealer is not really loosing anything so I might be able to talk them down a little bit more and barely cut into their profit.
dont, just dont.

You're looking at spending X amount of thousands dollars just because you can save Y amount of thousands of dollars.

#18,706 ·
And they charge like 300 for the nitrogen filled tires! That's BS!!!
Anyone that pays for that deserves to get screwed 'cause they are probably the same posers that never touch their 4WD or if they do, its because they decided to drive down their gravel driveway.

Seriously.. I can't imagine why any Jeep owner that regularly offroads would waste their money on nitro filled tires, between airing down and back up before/after every run it would be a complete waste.

#18,708 ·
If everything works out the way that I want it to, I will basically get the new engine (75 hp more) and have driven my current jeep for a year and a half for almost free. My current jeep is financed at 0% so I will not loose any money there, and the trade in deducts from the final taxable amount.

There is nothing wrong with my current jeep what so ever. We both like it, but if the deal is right I will jump on it. I will be swapping my bumpers and everything else over, so I will not loose anything on the aftermarket parts that I have installed.

I am also working both dealers against each other. Both of them said that they will beat the others prices, so I am going to get everything in writing and see which one will really go lower.

#18,709 ·
Yeah, I saw it on the window sticker...it's either 200 or 300 for the nitrogen filled tires, and they won't take it off!

Starting to get nibbles on the jeep too. If it doesn't sell, I'll strip my stuff and trade it in the spring! If you can get the good deal on a new one, jump on it, greg

#18,711 ·
It crazy how the cage flexes on that truck in the video! I thought it was just shadows, but it actually flexes! Sounds sick too!!

#18,712 ·
Anyone that pays for that deserves to get screwed 'cause they are probably the same posers that never touch their 4WD or if they do, its because they decided to drive down their gravel driveway.

Seriously.. I can't imagine why any Jeep owner that regularly offroads would waste their money on nitro filled tires, between airing down and back up before/after every run it would be a complete waste.
I don't understand why anybody would waste their money on it. Nitrogen is only better for your tires because it doesn't have the water content that air does. In other words, here in the desert, it doesn't matter! They will tell you that you don't have to check your tire pressure as often because nitrogen is a relatively large molecule and doesn't seep out as quickly as other molecules do, which is true. However, that doesn't give you free pass to not check tire pressure and as you add air over time, all you do is dilute the nitrogen. It really just isn't worth it and doesn't matter.

If they try to use that line about molecules being bigger, shoot back with: Wouldn't that mean that if I use regular air all the other molecules seep out leaving only nitrogen anyway?

#18,713 ·
andy02 said:
I don't understand why anybody would waste their money on it. Nitrogen is only better for your tires because it doesn't have the water content that air does. In other words, here in the desert, it doesn't matter! They will tell you that you don't have to check your tire pressure as often because nitrogen is a relatively large molecule and doesn't seep out as quickly as other molecules do, which is true. However, that doesn't give you free pass to not check tire pressure and as you add air over time, all you do is dilute the nitrogen. It really just isn't worth it and doesn't matter.

If they try to use that line about molecules being bigger, shoot back with: Wouldn't that mean that if I use regular air all the other molecules seep out leaving only nitrogen anyway?
Right?! Lol. They also market it by saying that it doesn't exhibit the same expansion rate as air and co2, thus changing the need to adjust with temperature!

#18,714 ·
Actually, co2 is a much larger molecule than n2, so by that reasoning, only co2 an o2 would remain in the tires an the n2 would escape! Lol dealers will say anything to sell something! Rofl

#18,715 ·
It does make it a little better with the temp and altitude changes. But personally I would not pay for it. It was marked on my JK and I was pretty blunt with the salesman and told him that I don't want it. When they say no, just tell him that you want to order and configure a new one then that will not have it installed. They drop that junk off right away.

The funny thing is that there is no way for it to be 100% nitrogen. They would have to put a vacuum on the tire and create such a negative pressure, then put in the nitrogen. The tire would break its bead before that ever happened. I guess the ohter option would be to fill it tire with liquid nitrogen, then let it bleed off pressure until it becomes a gas form. That would never happen so I would say at most it is 75% nitrogen

#18,717 ·
Nitrogen is a much more stable gas. Like Greg said it doesn't fluctuate as much with temp and altitude changes. With that being said you won't ever see me filling any of my junk with nitrogen. I am kinda old school. I like checking my tire pressure, belts, fluids and all that stuff. Hell I would love to have some old school motor that I had to adjust the valves every few hundred miles just because I like that kind of stuff.
I am also on a big Mercedes kick right now. My wife is looking at a new car and I'm trying to make the S class AMG argument. She really wants a caddy sts-v. Now all she needs is a job to pay for it.

#18,719 ·
If a salesman didn't take it off, I'd probably be tempted to lean down and start bleeding the air out of the tires on the spot and tell them to fill it up with compressed air or I'm not buying it. LOL

And for the price on those trucks. The rear axles alone are $10K, engines that will actually win you a baja 1000 are $50K on the low end of the price scale, the shocks are pushing $12-15K on them, transmissions are $15-25K if they aren't a one off custom full billet setup like a M1 or the Herbst old 4wd truck trans, chassis are in the $15-20K range. Heck, our little garage built truck is pushing $40 in zip ties!!! I'll bet those TT's are running $150 in zip ties alone!!! LOL Fuel systems on them are in the $5-10K range, etc... I'll bet there's $2500 in bolts on those trucks alone... It all adds up fast! When you look at the trucks it's hard to see the money but when you really start pricing it out, it's all there! What am I missing??? LABOR!!!!! Pretty much almost double your parts cost to figure out the labor cost to pay someone to build one.

I'm curious if the cage is actually moving or if it's just the lens on the camera with a little fish eye that's doing goofy things or even that stupid youtube stabilizing thing they're trying to do these days? BTW, that's actually a buggy...

On another note, I'm looking at that expo I linked this morning tonight. Phone conversation sounds like it might not be 100% perfect but it sounds like it's got what I need which is a good mechanical platform with a clean exterior. He said the interior is rough but the interior is grey which is the same as mine and mine actually is in pretty decent shape so at worse I swap out interiors... My goal is to have less then $8000 into this entire project when all said and done with paint and everything. That will leave me with a long travel, 4WD coilover front end with hydro bumps, national leafs in the rear with bypass shocks and hydrobumps, disc 8.8, 4.56's front and rear, full glass all the way around, clean interior still more then capable of camping out of and room to sleep inside of.

Andy, taking notes???

#18,720 ·
Nitrogen is a much more stable gas. Like Greg said it doesn't fluctuate as much with temp and altitude changes. With that being said you won't ever see me filling any of my junk with nitrogen. I am kinda old school. I like checking my tire pressure, belts, fluids and all that stuff. Hell I would love to have some old school motor that I had to adjust the valves every few hundred miles just because I like that kind of stuff.
I am also on a big Mercedes kick right now. My wife is looking at a new car and I'm trying to make the S class AMG argument. She really wants a caddy sts-v. Now all she needs is a job to pay for it.
Nitrogen fluctates just as much as any other gas with altitude changes. That actually goes back to moisture found in regular air. The water (or water vapor) fluctuates to a much higher degree than any gas out there which is why you can get wide fluctuations with regular air. Nitrogen, being a "dry" gas doesn't see so wide a fluctuation. That being said, out here it is not an issue because our air is relatively dry. I guess it could be an issue if you filled your tires in a high humidity area and then drove up say Everest. So why do aircraft use nitrogen in their tires? Because of the inert nature of nitrogen and the possibility of high water content over time using air. When a nitrogen filled tire is exposed to high temperatures, to the point that the tire fails, it just outgases. When an air filled tire is exposed to the same, the sudden onrush of oxygen fuels the fire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.