Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#1,841 ·
Here are a few pictures collected over the past few days.

This mine didn't look like much at all from the surface. Usually, you can spot a large mine network from the surface just by the size of the tailing pile outside. We've seen tailing piles taller than this entire hill, so we were surprised of the network inside that spanned multiple levels.

Attachments

#1,842 ·
A few posts ago, I uploaded an image of a similar structure and didn't know its purpose. We think we figured it out. These structures appear to be supports. Hard to see here, but there are collapsed backs (ceilings) all over this area. There are fractures from one end of the ceiling to the other and huge boulders that have come loose on the floors. The only thing holding up the tons of rock above is that stack of support timber.

Attachments

#1,844 ·
This appears to be a steam tank at the lowest level of the mine. This one is built with hammered in rivets. Not sure if I would trust that tank under pressure. There is larger high pressure steam tank which fed into this one. The larger one was deep in a sump (pit) nearby still in a coal pile. Although there was a large vent shaft, the air quality must have been extremely poor especially when lit. I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to work in those conditions.

Attachments

#1,850 ·
Looks good, Davidson. I've been tossing around the idea of building a simple site, but nothing as intensive as yours. Mostly, just a place to park the thousands of pictures I've been collecting. I think bandwidth for such a picture site would kill me.
Not necessarily. A lot of hosting companies offer plans that include unlimited bandwidth. Mine gives me unlimited bandwidth and unlimited disk storage for a pretty low rate. Many companies charge less than $10 a month (i think I've seen it $5-6 a month) for this deal. There are websites that work for just pictures, but it's nice to be able to add other content and do it the way you like.

#1,851 ·
...I was about to start walking around and introducing myself to anyone who could have fit the bill.
So, what are you saying? We all look alike? :laugh: It's true. We do.

When I was much younger, our family went to a shopping mall. After shopping for a while, I looked up at my Mom and saw I was holding the hand of some random Asian woman. Strange that she said nothing about some strange kid holding her hand. True story. :laugh:

#1,853 ·
So, what are you saying? We all look alike? :laugh: It's true. We do.

When I was much younger, our family went to a shopping mall. After shopping for a while, I looked up at my Mom and saw I was holding the hand of some random Asian woman. Strange that she said nothing about some strange kid holding her hand. True story. :laugh:
She must have thought you looked like her own kid. :)

Oh, and I have excellent Filipino radar. I lived there for a while ... can't remember if I mentioned it before.

#1,854 ·
The animations in this video were awesome. I expect it was cheaper than a stuntman.
Weren't they? It was like video game. Good info in that one. I like to see videos of mine exploration, but it annoys me to see people climbing the ladders without any equipment. When we use the ladders, it's only at half weight with two safety ropes, three support points and tethered to each other.

I'd like to know how those people expect to get back up when a ladder breaks. Nobody can hear you screaming way out there. Eventually, the batteries in your lights will fade. Days later, you'll die from lack of food and water in the dark. What a way to die. As your final kick in the nuts, at the surface, someone will be stripping your Jeep.

#1,860 ·
You may have mentioned it, but my memory sucks. What were you doing there? Navy? Your wife didn't look mail order. :laugh:
Nope, my wife was born in southern California. I spent about a half a year on ****** Island as a missionary in 1994. I loved it. I would've been there longer, but I found out while I was there that rice tends to kill me. It's a long and interesting story. To help tie it back to a jeep(ney) topic, this was typical of public transportation where I was at:

Except, of course, we occasionally rode on the roof or clinging to a rail bolted to the side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.