Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 92 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #1366
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Can anyone tell me anything about Sloan Canyon? Is it worth a look?

Coordinates:
35°55'1.67"N 115° 7'26.99"W

YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #1367
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
It's still early.

I'll be heading over to the salvage yard on Lamb sometime this morning. I don't really need anything. I just like looking through salvage yards.
Ever seen any wagoneers or cherokees (full size, not XJ's) or j-trucks in your travels? If so, please tell me where.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #1368
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sloan Canyon is worth a look, but there's not really any jeeping out there. It's been declared a National Conservation Area. There is a lot of petroglyphs up the canyon, and it's picturesque on its own, but all of the former jeep trails in that vicinity have been closed. To sum up ... for hiking, yes ... for jeeping, no.
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #1369
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Ever seen any wagoneers or cherokees (full size, not XJ's) or j-trucks in your travels? If so, please tell me where.
There's not usually any JK's in these types of places yet so I don't go much. Too bad. I would be stocking up on spare parts like crazy if I could.
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #1370
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I've never seen a Wagoneer or a Wrangler in any local salvage yards. I've seen a few Cherokee's at the salvage yard by Lake Mead, but I couldn't tell you the years.

Mostly when I go I'm just sightseeing and looking for dual use items like wheels and offroad equipment. I did come across a nice Warn winch, but it was involved in a front collision. It was beyond a rebuild.

I miss the salvage yards in Florida. Jeep's aren't as popular there. On any given day, there were at least ten Wranglers in the yard.
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #1371
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
To sum up ... for hiking, yes ... for jeeping, no.
I read somewhere there is or used to be a designated offroad area within the park. Kind of like Rocky Gap at Red Rock Canyon.

I wasn't able to find anything on the BLM site about it, so I guess it's either a closed road now or an unofficial trail.

Thanks for the info, DL.
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #1372
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Anyone ever hit any trails in this area north of us? It's around the Rachel area. Looks like there are lots of places to explore there.

37°15'54.05"N 115°47'49.51"W
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #1373
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny
Can anyone tell me anything about Sloan Canyon? Is it worth a look?

Coordinates:
35°55'1.67"N 115° 7'26.99"W
Sloan canyon is closed to motor vehicles. I trail run out there. And it's really pretty!
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #1374
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Dr. Marneus I actually saw a wagoneer at the north town pic a part. It was in pretty complete condition a month ago.
Unread 10-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #1375
Tagsrover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny
I miss the salvage yards in Florida. Jeep's aren't as popular there. On any given day, there were at least ten Wranglers in the yard.
Damn, wish I was in your part of Florida. If our salvage yards ever got one they were usually gone in less than a day
Tagsrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #1376
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I heard there is a call list when certain vehicles like Wranglers come into their yard. I'm sure after a few phone calls on that list, whatever is left is only good for scrap. I tried to have my name added to the list and was told, "If there is such a list, it's way too long to add more names to it.".

I did see a JK in there once, but it was being saved to be resold under a salvage title.
Unread 10-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #1377
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Does anyone know where I can get a mini fuse tap adapter locally? No luck at Radio Shack, Auto Zone or Pep Boys. I thought for sure Fry's would have it. Nope.
Unread 10-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #1378
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

Anyone know where I can buy metal in Vegas with out having to buy 20 ft. I just want to buy some for a couple small projects.
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #1379
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Google "Metal fabricator Vegas". That search came up with over 30 results. Someone in town would be willing to sell you smaller pieces. Scrap pieces should be a deal.
Unread 10-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #1380
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Got out and did some wheelin' in the Highland Range this afternoon. Here's the view from the end of one of the trails I hit.
img_4149.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.