Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 919 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #13771
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'll take trophy truck or any properly built race truck all day long over any car on the road.

My buddies 96mph double endo into 3 and a half barrel roll. He and passenger were out of truck in less than 2 minutes and albeit shaken, not a single scratch.

image-3668386144.jpg  
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #13772
sirhk100

Hey Garza, cut holes in the floor boards on the truck last night. Gonna get the a-pillars finished up tonight which should set me up for some really good progress this weekend and then I'm hoping to make the biggest hole I've ever made in a truck to date next weekend which involves cutting the entire roof right off of it! LOL Hoping it'll go back as easy as it looks... Just gotta remember the thickness of the saw blade when setting it back on so that all the glass lines back up if he ever wants to run it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #13773
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Not to mention the rear of my truck never had a true crumple zone and the front was a very minimal area.
Why would I need a crumple zone? That's what the other dude's car is for!
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #13774
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

you guys are comparing apples to oranges here. Don't forget when you wreck a race truck you are more than likely sporting a 5 point harness, helmet, and neck brace. When you get in a wreck in a car you are only wearing a 3 point harness, if even that. Most car seatbelts are half as thick as the 5 point harnesses, so the body weight from your impact will not be as distributed as well as the 5 point harness. Most race trucks are not sporting all of the crap that people carry with them on a daily basis either so it is not like you will be getting hit in the head with a can of beans you just picked up from the store.

The worst thing for any accident is if you see it coming. Your body stiffens up and that is when bones get broken, this is why most drunks walk away from accidents... the are loose. I could not imagine clinching on the steering wheel and trying to use my wrist to support all of my body weight and the momentum from the accident. Only to have your clinched wrist blown outward by an air bag.

I would take a hit in a well built race car/truck with all of my safety gear on over a daily driver any day. But how often are you sporting around town with all of your gear on and wearing a 5 point harness?
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #13775
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez

While I see where you are coming from, I completely disagree (about why anyone even talks about gas mileage). Just because Jeeps get crappy mileage doesnt mean that you should employ driving habits that will make it worse. Thats like saying I live in a valley that has smog, I choose to live here, so I might as well start smoking too. I 100% agree about the complaining about crappy mileage though, they should have bought a prius if they were that concerned. IMO there is nothing wrong with doing what you can to get a few extra MPG out of your rig though, saves a few bucks for more jeep parts
I never said drive like crazy. I just said if you own a jeep your least concern should be mpg. Chad you're putting topics into my previous statements that I did not even mention. I never said anything about driving style.
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #13776
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

sweet, I just called dishnetwork to complain about them dropping AMC... they dropped my bill by $10 a month for a year and gave me showtime free for 6 months. They said the $10 was to cover an amazon or itunes account if I want to watch the AMC programming on there.
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #13777
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
Why would I need a crumple zone? That's what the other dude's car is for!
This is possibly the best post I've seen on this forum in ages!!!!

Around town I just wear my stock belts, long trips I actually do put on my 5 points when I'm in my truck. It's actually more comfy with the 5 points on but getting in and out is a bit more inconvenient.

Even with just the stock belts though, I'd still 110% prefer to get in a wreck in my truck over my car any day of the week! My only concern on the street in the truck is that I'm not wearing a helmet and those tubes could hurt. But in a rear end or frontal impact I'm not super concerned. Side hit or roll, head to the tubes without the helmet would not be good.

On a side note, my drunken crazy bike terror roomie posted these pics yesterday. I guess it's her 5th friend to go down in the last 4 weeks. Other's injuries have involved broken wrists and ankles along with steak skin like the picture here. Kinda graphic if you click and there's man *** shown... You've been warned...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/541498_3880107013249_726340644_n.jpg

Unread 07-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #13778
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100

This is possibly the best post I've seen on this forum in ages!!!!

Around town I just wear my stock belts, long trips I actually do put on my 5 points when I'm in my truck. It's actually more comfy with the 5 points on but getting in and out is a bit more inconvenient.

Even with just the stock belts though, I'd still 110% prefer to get in a wreck in my truck over my car any day of the week! My only concern on the street in the truck is that I'm not wearing a helmet and those tubes could hurt. But in a rear end or frontal impact I'm not super concerned. Side hit or roll, head to the tubes without the helmet would not be good.

On a side note, my drunken crazy bike terror roomie posted these pics yesterday. I guess it's her 5th friend to go down in the last 4 weeks. Other's injuries have involved broken wrists and ankles along with steak skin like the picture here. Kinda graphic if you click and there's man *** shown... You've been warned...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/541498_3880107013249_726340644_n.jpg
My brother was hit on his bike in 2002 by a a guy in a work truck who was towing a trailer. It was on SB 95 near the down town exits. He was in the fast lane going just over the speed limit. The truck didn't have functioning tail lights or trailer lights and changed lanes with no signal. He was hit by the front of the trailer (which didn't knock him down) but he slowed and had one of the trailer tires catch his leg and ripped him from his bike onto the freeway. He wasn't killed but he was pretty jacked up. He was wearing a tank top, board shorts and flip flops on his way to a BBQ. He ended up with 2 compound fractures (legs) road rash all over, and his knee exploded on impact. He ended up with a few weeks in the hospital to have his knee replaced and surgery on both legs. His bike came out with broken plastics and lost a foot peg. He sold it as soon as he could and has never ridden on road again.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #13779
sirhk100

You won't ever catch me on the street more then doing a lap around my block on someone's bike... Screw that hobby!

She rides with a group that frequently is running 3 digit speeds on the highway and city streets. They ride in large numbers and figure the cops can't do much when a pack of 30 bikes goes by at 140mph on the freeway. I've seen helmet cam of them running 120 down flamingo...

Unread 07-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #13780
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I don't trust these people when I am in a car. I could not imagine doing it on a bike. On the way back from the airport on Monday morning I was on 15 northbound and had a guy cut over to 95 at the last minute. He almost rear ended an 18 wheeler and side swiped me. I got over one lane and he almost side swiped me again. I am really thinking that I need an airhorn for the Jeep. If the kids were not in the Jeep I would have just let him hit me. I guarantee that the person was drunk, it would not have upset me one bit if he would have rolled off the over pass when I hit him.

I wonder if I put on a bumper sticker that stated "Not responsible for broken windshields - Please stay back 200 ft" if it would be ok to keep a few rocks in the Jeep for tailgaters.
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #13781
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post
I never said drive like crazy. I just said if you own a jeep your least concern should be mpg. Chad you're putting topics into my previous statements that I did not even mention. I never said anything about driving style.
What "topics" did I put into your previous statement that "you didn't even mention"?
We were talking about how driving style impacts gas mileage so driving 65 MPH helps to improve mileage.. then you come out with

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG
You own a jeep, gas mileage should not be a thought, of course it's gonna suck. Andy is not the first one to talk about gas mileage, but I do not even understand why it is ever part of a conversation as a jeep owner. Unless you're like "yes, I got almost 15mpg going down hill with a tailwind on my way home from the trail."
If I misunderstood your statement to be relevant to the recent comments in the forum instead of the apparently intented random statement it was intended to be then oh well.. I have made a mistake once before, I imagine it could happen again.
What I was getting at is that it bugs me that people get their panties all up in a bunch when anyone mentions the words gas mileage and Jeep in the same sentence.. I personally don't see anything wrong with talking about best practices to get the best possible performance out of your rig, yet a quick search online is filled with people flaming others for caring what kind of mileage they are getting on their Jeep. No one here was griping about bad gas mileage, they were just acknowledging that Jeeps don't get the best mileage and that they do stuff to minimize impact.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #13782
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Not only does the gas mileage skyrocket when you stay at 65 or lower, itís very relaxing at those speeds because youíre not constantly looking over your shoulder to see if there is a highway patrol car nearby.
Yeah, skyrockets, mine shoots right up; to 13mpg when i keep it at 65 vs. 12mpg when i go 70+

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #13783
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

P.S. all you lil jeep people and modern jeep people get like 2mpg better than me. I don't feel so bad anymore that my 5000 pound 5.9l carbureted V8 gets 13 highway, 11 on the trail haha.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #13784
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I do find it amusing that our 2008 Tahoe got better mileage with a 320 hp V8 and a crap load more weight. But I could never have this much fun in a Tahoe. My biggest complaint is not about the mileage though, it is the HP that blows. I esp hate some of those runs up to Brain Head... trying to keep her at 75 up some of those passes feels like it is going to blow from being overworked. They threw all of that extra weight on the JK and only gave it a few more hp. Granted I would not like to see the mall crawlers sporting 300 hp. It would only lead to more rollovers and Jeep turning the wrangler into the liberty even more. Maybe we can get tosh to work on the wrangler and pimp it out.

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-...xrs=share_copy

The worst part is the new ecu that they have in the 2011's... it uses bosch's triple rolling encryption. Which unless they get the codes it pointless to try to break. While the chip is only good for 10 hp and 24 ft lbs... every little bit helps. The VW/Audi world gets around this encryption by popping the ecu open and programming the chip directly.
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #13785
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
P.S. all you lil jeep people and modern jeep people get like 2mpg better than me. I don't feel so bad anymore that my 5000 pound 5.9l carbureted V8 gets 13 highway, 11 on the trail haha.
I weighed my Cherokee last Saturday and found it only weighs 4820 with my 300 lb a$$ in it. So in it self only 4500 lbs, plus stock NEW HP is 129 HP with 230ish tq. Emission equipment sucks!
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.