Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#18,281 ·
andy02 said:
Can anybody tell me about how much it costs to reload .308?
How many times can you reuse the casings? Where do you get the actual bullet? What keeps the primer in place? About how much does the equipment cost? How do you know how much powder to use? What makes you decide on one powder over another? How far do you press the bullet into the casing? What does it mean to "crimp" a casing? How long does it take to reload say 100 rounds?
You've got a lot in there. I would say start with a reloading handbook. It will tell you what measure powder for what load. You can use a case until it either cracks or bends so far out of whack you can't straighten it out. Primers press into the case pretty tightly. You can get the bullets or slugs from midway or any other supplier. Depends on how exact you are on you quality control and whether a round is rifle or handgun. Handgun I can do 100 in an hour. Sometimes more. But that is after I've already tumbled the brass. Equipment can range in price. My dad has got a dillon progressive press that was pretty much the best you could get 20yrs ago. It is a little pricy to get into but if you shoot enough you will save money. There are a lot of variables as well. Do you plan on buying brass or picking it up? If I remember tomorrow ill look up .308 in my handbook and quote a cost of 100 .308 rounds.

#18,282 ·
gregaf3 said:
I honestly can not think who would have reposted that ad. It is one thing for us to bust his balls on here, but to do it in the marketplace where he is trying to sell it is another story. Heck I work from home and I don't even have that much time to kill.

I was back at sportsmans warehouse today looking at guns... I am going to get myself in trouble if I don't cut it out.
That is my problem. When I go to buy A gun I usually end up leaving with some guns. Now that I'm married that doesn't happen anymore.

#18,283 ·
Powrjunkey said:
Seriously Merrick!? Are you really that offended or otherwise disturbed by my CL ad? What is your issue? Did I say or do something that in some way made you feel like you needed to act like a complete as sclown? Seriously, grow up and find better things to occupy your time with! If you're that bored, go to the gym or deal with your issues in some other constructive way! The joke was funny for the first few hundred posts, but now it's just sad....
Let it go man... Let it go.. There's always gonna be a tool out there somewhere and we don't even know it was someone from here; getting uptight about it only raises your blood pressure and eggs them on.

#18,284 ·
ksturgio said:
That is my problem. When I go to buy A gun I usually end up leaving with some guns. Now that I'm married that doesn't happen anymore.
My problem is when I go shoot, i usually shoot with other people that have really cool guns and it makes me want more and more guns. Guns are bad because they take away from my Jeeping habit. Jeeps are bad because they take away from my gun habit. I like all guns. Marn is an *** for letting me shoot his M1A. Powr is an *** for letting me shoot his TC Encore. Ksturgio is an *** for letting me shoot his M1 Garand. Puck is an *** just because.

#18,285 ·
You will need a reloading manual, press, powder measure, scale, dial calipers, a sturdy work bench(built mine), a brass tumbler, dies and shell holders for the calibers you're loading, plus the consumables. Bullets and powder vary widely in price. For just plinking, buy it, it's usually cheaper. If you're going for accuracy, load it. It's a long process to find what works best. If you buy new brass, the cost goes up, but if you buy loaded and then reload, you save a little. Primers are typically around $20 for a thousand. Bullets can range from $.25-.75/rd. it all depends on weight, shape, quality, and manufacture. Powder varies by weight and volume. It can be literally a few grains to a sugar packet full. There are so many variables that a quote on price can be difficult. Plus the time it takes you to load it.

#18,286 ·
B0nez said:
Let it go man... Let it go.. There's always gonna be a tool out there somewhere and we don't even know it was someone from here; getting uptight about it only raises your blood pressure and eggs them on.
Nope, my blood pressure is perfect 122/75! And I eat bacon! Lol. It just bugs me that if I said or did something to cause issue, talk to me about it, don't cross the line and eff with my ad. All the clues are there in the ad. All the same language that appeared here is in the ad. What really gives it away is the stickers can't really be seen in the CL ad, only people on here know about them, because of my build thread, an discussions. No where in the ad are they mentioned.

#18,288 ·
Powrjunkey said:
You will need a reloading manual, press, powder measure, scale, dial calipers, a sturdy work bench(built mine), a brass tumbler, dies and shell holders for the calibers you're loading, plus the consumables. Bullets and powder vary widely in price. For just plinking, buy it, it's usually cheaper. If you're going for accuracy, load it. It's a long process to find what works best. If you buy new brass, the cost goes up, but if you buy loaded and then reload, you save a little. Primers are typically around $20 for a thousand. Bullets can range from $.25-.75/rd. it all depends on weight, shape, quality, and manufacture. Powder varies by weight and volume. It can be literally a few grains to a sugar packet full. There are so many variables that a quote on price can be difficult. Plus the time it takes you to load it.
Really? I always thought the whole point behind reloading was that it was cheaper than buying factory loads.

#18,289 ·
MMCKEIG said:
It wasn't me, so chill out! You're panties are so wadded right now that they must be in a knot!
My apologies for instantly assuming it was you posting the clone ad. I also apologize for resulting to name calling.

#18,290 ·
andy02 said:
Really? I always thought the whole point behind reloading was that it was cheaper than buying factory loads.
It can be a lot cheaper depending on the round. I'm sure marn will be loading his 45-70 for probably 1/2 price compared to buying it. The problem with reloading now is the demand for metals being so high you don't save as much as you use to.

#18,291 ·
andy02 said:
Example: you can buy 100rds of 9mm at Walmart for $.31/rd. your primer cost you .02, the bullet cost roughly .16, the powder costs roughly another .05-.10, plus the cost of case and your time. Just supplies cost you .21-.28/rd! Once you get set up and get all your stuff stocked up, you can save, but its not what people think. You save bigger on the rifle loads. 308, 30-06, 22-250, 7mm-08, 300 win mag, stuff like that. Things that cost you a dollar a round is where you really see savings. For me, it's worth it to just buy 9mm and save the brass for when I'm bored. I load 223, but just for fun. I'll be loading 308 when I want to close up my groups and get long range with it. For now, I'll just buy it.
Ps, I'll load 204 ruger, because I want to get more accuracy out of it. It's still accurate with factory loads, but I'm sure I could do better.

#18,294 ·
ksturgio said:
It can be a lot cheaper depending on the round. I'm sure marn will be loading his 45-70 for probably 1/2 price compared to buying it. The problem with reloading now is the demand for metals being so high you don't save as much as you use to.
Also I all have something like a 40 dollar start up cost because I will be loading with a lee classic hand loader. You need the 25 dollar tool kit and a hammer haha. I guess a scale is nice if you want to customize beyond using the powder scoop they supply.

Brass alone for 45-70 is 60 cents.

I'm told once your practiced with a hand loader (not a press) you can crank out about a round a minute. So in like an hour I could reload every piece of brass I've ever shot. That is a low round volume high dollar caliber though. Also with .45-70 the reloading capabilities are incredible. Everything on the market from the factory is dulled WAY down because there are so many Springfield trap door rifles out there that would explode if you run a hot load through them. My rifle is capable of handling about twice the pressure...but if someone with an old rifle picked up some hot ammo off the shelf there would be a lawsuit.

As power mentioned it depends on the caliber. Pistol ammo like 9mm is going to be a wash. I buy 9 by the case. I buy factory reloads. I paid 18.9 cents per shot plus tax. So still technically less than 20 cents a shot. Even Walmart sells 100 round packs of federal for 19.99 so why bother?

Rifle is a different story. Not only are you generally saving more but you are also able to custom cater your rounds to what you need them for. 308 for example.....I could likely reload match grade ammo for less than buying it at 1.20 a shot....but at the same time I can get surplus ammo for about 50 cents a shot.

#18,295 ·
I honestly can not think who would have reposted that ad. It is one thing for us to bust his balls on here, but to do it in the marketplace where he is trying to sell it is another story. Heck I work from home and I don't even have that much time to kill.

I was back at sportsmans warehouse today looking at guns... I am going to get myself in trouble if I don't cut it out.
I was at Sportsman's today too. I came very close to buying a Colt 1911 in .22lr flavor. I'm not even sure why. Just seemed like a good idea at the time. I still might buy it, but I could just as well buy an SKS or someother cool gun. I ended up spending $190 on ammo and other crap. Then I came home and replaced the flywheel in my Jeep. Great fun that was. If I wouldn't have ripped the stupid little rubber boot on the top of the trans, I would have finished it but now I have to wait for the boot that I had to drive down to Prestige and order. Need to get it buttoned up so I can go with you dudes on Saturday.

#18,297 ·
Since my name was tossed in the mix a few pages back... If you remotely think it was me, we all know I don't have a smart phone and I sure as hell wasn't taking my computer to san diego with me on vacation. I got home today at noon and you're welcome to come see a brake system plumbed and attempted to be bled between 12 and 2pm today later this week when the truck comes back since I had it also towed off to a driveline shop, then dinner, then home, 2 hours cleaning a garage spotless, then BSing with a friend that stopped by, then pulling shocks apart to check valving which are still laid out on that clean workbench too. So you're welcome to think maybe I have time to bother with that crap but I assure you having a truck dirt ready in 2 weekends and then race ready in 6 weekends, screwing with some jeep guy is the least of my concerns! Heck, the truck isn't even in my garage and I still have enough work to keep me busy working on it for the next 3 nights without it here. On top of that, I'll PM you my CL log in, I've got nothing sketch to hide on there...

I'm actually kinda over posting in here for the most part at this point anyways. I'm not enough of a gun nut to fit in. It was fun.

Marn, I'm around pretty much every evening this week. If you don't mind though I'd love to keep the hoist till after the weekend of dec 15/16th. If not though, no biggie. You know my number, I can get it to you or swing by...

#18,298 ·
sirhk100 said:
Since my name was tossed in the mix a few pages back... If you remotely think it was me, we all know I don't have a smart phone and I sure as hell wasn't taking my computer to san diego with me on vacation. I got home today at noon and you're welcome to come see a brake system plumbed and attempted to be bled between 12 and 2pm today later this week when the truck comes back since I had it also towed off to a driveline shop, then dinner, then home, 2 hours cleaning a garage spotless, then BSing with a friend that stopped by, then pulling shocks apart to check valving which are still laid out on that clean workbench too. So you're welcome to think maybe I have time to bother with that crap but I assure you having a truck dirt ready in 2 weekends and then race ready in 6 weekends, screwing with some jeep guy is the least of my concerns! Heck, the truck isn't even in my garage and I still have enough work to keep me busy working on it for the next 3 nights without it here. On top of that, I'll PM you my CL log in, I've got nothing sketch to hide on there...

I'm actually kinda over posting in here for the most part at this point anyways. I'm not enough of a gun nut to fit in. It was fun.

Marn, I'm around pretty much every evening this week. If you don't mind though I'd love to keep the hoist till after the weekend of dec 15/16th. If not though, no biggie. You know my number, I can get it to you or swing by...
Its all your fault Khris!! For not having a smart phone and not taking me to san diego. I blame you for the CL posting!!! Btw welcome home.

Sent by my imagination

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.