Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 913 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #13681
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Winches, hi-lift jacks, off-road trailers, roof mounted gun racks, roof top tents, Jerry cans, survival gear, etc...these are all things (I added a few) that are "unnecessary" for your average offroad rig in a "normal" world. However, I have built my Jeep not as a dual use, but a triple use vehicle. It is my daily driver, it is a very capable off road vehicle and it is my bug out vehicle if the SHTF.

The hi-lift jack is not so much for jacking my vehicle and I do prefer the bottle jack for that, but rather a mobile tool that can be quite useful clearing obstacles. Same goes for the winch, which I have used three times in four years. If you ask the guys I pulled out of ditches I'm sure they wouldn't say it was a waste.

While I agree there are too many posers and mall crawlers, be careful when you judge another rig. So, if you see me on a trail with my winch and my hi-lift (which is mounted on my trailer, by the way) I don't necessarily have that gear because I am on a trail. I have chosen to invest my hard earned money on equipment that I believe has value and this has been done in a thoughtful and well planned manner.

Unread 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #13682
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Honestly, I think they're more to look cool for 99% of the people out there with either item. Ask the average dude with a winch on his bumper how many times he's used it and I bet most of them say very rarely. Same with the highlift. I would much rather slide a floor jack under my axle on the trail to change a tire over a high lift cause they are sketchy at best. People say they have more uses then just jacking. But most those people also have more then one rig in the dirt with them and straps and other recovery equipment that's much faster and efficient.
I'd say my winch has been pretty useful. I know out here no one's seen me use it except to drag my own dumb butt out of trouble but back in Florida I'd say on average I was using it 2 or 3 times a wheeling trip to recover other vehicles. However, on the high lift most of the time I've seen them used was for things other than changing tires.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #13683
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
I really need to get some fuses
I know it's bad but I mentioned that roll of wire in my post above cause I had an ignition fuse on my yota blow once and took a while to figure out what killed it. Eventually though, I found the simple fuse was blown. Not the best thing but rather then walking and since I didn't have any fuses with me at that time I just looped a piece of wire and stuck it in. Drove home from the desert in california on that setup.

And without going back and actually re-reading what I typed I think I said "most" people... Not everyone. There's some that flat out use and need their equipment and more power to them. I just think most people though are buying the jacks and winches with this grand vision of needing them every trip when in reality you might use them once a year and typically even then, there's an alternative available to cure the issue that you need the winch or jack for in the first place. That's my only point, for "most" people they're a tool that looks cool on your jeep but just collects dust and neither of them are actually very cheap so I'm just saying for "most" people there's better ways to spend the money.

I know a few months back we used my winch to pull a guy up or actually possibly two different jeeps up a section in Nelson Hills. We did it just cause it was relatively easy but honestly, I could've just backed up, strapped up to them and pulled them with my jeep just as well had the winch not been on my bumper.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #13684
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've finally gotten all my tools moved to Vegas and it's time to tackle my bashed in oil pan. I'm planning to pick one up at the junk yard and I know when I’ve asked about junkyards in the past people have said there is a truck one that sometimes has wranglers. Can anyone give me the name of that particular junk yard? There are a few years of Grand Cherokees that also use the same oil pan but I wanted to start out by checking for a wrangler first. Thanks!
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #13685
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900
I've finally gotten all my tools moved to Vegas and it's time to tackle my bashed in oil pan. I'm planning to pick one up at the junk yard and I know when I’ve asked about junkyards in the past people have said there is a truck one that sometimes has wranglers. Can anyone give me the name of that particular junk yard? There are a few years of Grand Cherokees that also use the same oil pan but I wanted to start out by checking for a wrangler first. Thanks!

Las Vegas truck salvage. I believe it is on losee and lake mead.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #13686
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've also seen winches used as a safety strap so to speak on steep rock waterfalls to keep the jeep coming up from rolling backwards end over end. The one up top keeps tension on the cable as the lower one crawls up. I used mine to fell a big tree in the back yard. Worked exceptionally well. Of course you have seen videos of people doing that and the tree falls on top of their rig too!
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #13687
sirhk100

I used my winch to pull a tree stump out. That's the ONLY time I EVER on this jeep used my winch for myself...

And let's be realistic... (no offense to the original poster here at all, just making a point and nothing more)

Quote:
Where can I buy an off-road jack (Hi-lift brand) in Vegas? And what height should I get, 42" or 48"? My Jeep isn't lifted and I don't plan to anytime soon. I want to hit a trail on Tuesday and I don't own a jack yet
After reading that, do you think him or 95% of the jeep owners out there are going to be in a situation where they need a winch to keep from going over backwards on a water fall? You know the jeep crowd as well as any of us. We know that most of them (some on here even, bunnyrabbit for example, davidsonlaw, Dr.M, etc, at least it seems) cruise around dirt roads and mellow washes using their jeeps to explore for the most part and probably rarely even really need to pull it into 4wd. There's nothing wrong with that, the jeep is being used for the purposes they want it for. Heck, I've seen some (not on here now... LOL) that pull it into 4WD as soon as they leave the pavement on a graded dirt road! Maybe I'm reading into the original poster's comment but I don't think he's going to be flopping his rig on some crazy off camber cliff anytime soon with stock suspension...

Personally, instead of a winch and a high lift, I would put that money towards and save up a little bit more to install a cheap 1-2" spacer lift and some more aggressive 31" tires. If you're on stock suspension and any tires remotely resembling the stock tire tread that combo will benefit you 99.9% of the time way more then a winch or jack will.

You guys are talking like most jeep owners are out running KOH when the truth is, most of them like me now until the new ride is fixed up, just cruise around town trying to look hard core. LOL (yes, I'm totally stereotyping!!! There's a lot of sarcasm with hints of truth and advice in all of my recent posts, don't take it personally anyone or get your feelings hurt!)

I'm not anti jeep at all. Me selling mine has nothing to do with my opinion on jeeps, me selling mine is simply a financial decision where I'm taking 2 vehicles roughly worth about $15K and combining them into 1 with all the same capabilities that costs about $6K when all said and done. Simple as that... I looked in my driveway one day and went said to myself "why" so I'm changing it up a bit.

I'm just simply telling it how I see it in my opinion. I've grown up around jeeps and spent a lot of time wheeling from mild to wild. I've been up the hammers back in the day, I've done the rubicon, etc... I also am basing my opinion on sales figures and numbers of products that I've been involved in from basic suspensions to 4 link suspensions to jeep bling and I see a far far far majority of jeep owners that think they need a bunch of gear when truthfully they just want that gear yet don't need it. If someone wants to spend the money on all that stuff, awesome I won't stop you cause we all have our different means and needs for what we buy but I'm just putting it out there for a person that inquired that they probably don't actually "need" that gear and if they want the money can be spent elsewhere. In the end it's their choice, get the info you need and decide on your own.

Unread 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #13688
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My feelings are now hurt, thanks Khris! haha
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #13689
sirhk100

This is the only picture I have online of my old jeep. It's on 33's locked in the rear, winch, caged, home made OBA system using a york compressor, on board welder, 4.10 gears, 4:1 dana 300, 4.2L with the mopar FI kit. This is the jeep I grew up in and eventually bought off my dad. If you look closely the door is primer gray right between the lights of the golf cart cause we did some body work trying to clean it up from when we rolled it. "el hill" at los coyotes indian res in so cal, we stood it up vertical on the rear spare tire and then it fell over onto the drivers side and then slid down the door. You won't see many jeeps with lights on top with the top of the light dented... LOL That was a situation where a winch strap would've been nice!!! LOL

HAHAHA check this out... Suspension "testing" on a prototype kit for the JK when they first came out back in '06 (model year '07). This was a loaner ride from the local dealership!!! This was my previous employer...

Unread 07-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #13690
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post
My feelings are now hurt, thanks Khris! haha
Oh don't get me started with you!!!! HAHAHAHHAHA

Unread 07-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #13691
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100

Do you think him or 95% of the jeep owners out there are EVER going to be in a situation where they need a winch to keep from going over backwards on a water fall?.
Im happy to be in the other 5% lol. I do climb the waterfalls and some gnarly stuff when I can. Of course out of the guys I wheel with , I have the most sheetmetal.....well intact anyway. I agree with you 100% Khris. I spend more time trying to tell people what they don't need and why. Im as guilty as anyone buying stuff I don't need, but my driving skill and style of wheeling dictated the need for bigger and better. Most just build big and never appreciate what they can do with a rig that isn't.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #13692
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

It's pretty true with most car owners. I grew up way into classic cars just like my dad. We would always laugh at the whole pro street thing because it was in our opinion the stupid. "yeah that's a blown injected big block with a power glide, how fast? It doesn't do any track time". People want the race car look without the race car price tag. It is the same in any Motorsport community. I have nothing against what people want to do to their ride. It just isn't my thing and so be it. It's when some d-bag spends big bucks on all these hard core parts, as he makes fun of someone who doesn't have the same money just trying to enjoy his toy that bothers me.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #13693
sirhk100

^^^^^ Agree with both of you... That's why when someone asks I'm more then willing to say hey, here's what you want but... IMO you probably really don't need it and instead could use this or that and get a lot more function for your $.

And yes, it's the same in any motorsport.

10 years ago I had my old exploder that was VERY basically built but I had A LOT of tuning time into the shocks and used to piss off kids with these crazy high dollar builds that never took the time to tune their truck.

Or even today, guys with 2-4 times the money in shocks and I walk past them smooth as can be in the rough cause they aren't setup right. Money doesn't always build the best.

And in the midst of typing that I just realized I sold that old CJ for my last Expo and here we go again, bought another Expo and the current jeep is up for sale. Huh, what's that mean?

Unread 07-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #13694
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

OMFG!! Just heard on the radio that Nevada now requires registration of OHV(off highway vehicles) why is our state in the process of californification? (made up word) this is becoming rediculous! What's next? A law requiring insurance on OHVs as well? They're pricing everything out of the reach of the very people who enjoy these activities! I don't own a dirt bike, quad, sand rail, or side by side, but I think this is BULLSH*T!!
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #13695
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://nvohv.com/
It $20 a year and will "encourage tourism" my fcking a$$!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.