Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 912 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #13666
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Also...don't mount.it.to a vertical surface on a bumper. What happens when you back up and bump into a rock or tree? There goes yer jack if.you were moving with any momentum. Also, I used to drag my bumper alot out at places like logandale....wouldn't want to rip my jack off.

lastly in my years of owning jeeps I have never had to use a hi lift? I've only ever seen one used on a trail once.
I was under the impression that these jacks were a necessity for Jeep owners. Almost every build thread I've seen has one. I don't own any jack whatsoever for my Jeep, and I don't have a winch either, so I still don't think it will be a bad purchase for me. I want it mounted diagonally behind the spare tire, not on my hood or vertically on the bumper. I may have to get a new bumper with a tire carrier and a jack mounting plate or something though. I don't know how else to mount it there. In the mean time, it would just sit in the trunk.

Williamlv282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #13667
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Khris, sorry I wasn't able to make it by this weekend. I told you I had a bunch of stuff to do.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #13668
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I need some advice. This weekend I did some work on my truck as well as added and edge tuner and a CAI and it has really changed my truck. It is very responsive and really woke up with some performance. I am thinking about doing a cat back exhaust. Is it worth spending the money on a kit or should I try and do it myself?
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #13669
Puck81
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio
I need some advice. This weekend I did some work on my truck as well as added and edge tuner and a CAI and it has really changed my truck. It is very responsive and really woke up with some performance. I am thinking about doing a cat back exhaust. Is it worth spending the money on a kit or should I try and do it myself?
For your truck a CBE will be worth the money spent. Mainly due to the R&D that went into it. a muffler shop job may take performance away due to crappy bends and welds. But just my .02¢...
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #13670
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

IMO if you don't add headers also, just use factory exhaust and replace the muffler with a high flow one. Usually the factory diameter pipe is good enough. Mine is 2.5" on a 4.7! That's 5.7 diameter, IMO. Unless you are going big inch or forced induction, get rid of the factory muffler and use a dynomax or magnaflow or flow master, etc. I did that on our Rango, and it helped. Like puck said, my .02c worth.
Unread 07-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #13671
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

as said above, i dunno if a full cat back would be worth it on a stock headers or manifolds or whatever.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.
Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #13672
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well, my house has less flooring than it did this morning. Had a toilet leak develop overnight that resulted in a lot of water in the downstairs. I'm just glad it happened down there, and wasn't one of the upstairs toilets. Anyway, USAA dispatched a disaster recovery team to the house, it's in the process of drying and we get to have a variety of contractors coming in and out of the house for the next few weeks. Yay!
Unread 07-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #13673
Puck81
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw
Well, my house has less flooring than it did this morning. Had a toilet leak develop overnight that resulted in a lot of water in the downstairs. I'm just glad it happened down there, and wasn't one of the upstairs toilets. Anyway, USAA dispatched a disaster recovery team to the house, it's in the process of drying and we get to have a variety of contractors coming in and out of the house for the next few weeks. Yay!
Plumber here... Let me know if I can help, also I have contractors that help speed things like that along, just let me know
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #13674
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamlv282 View Post
I was under the impression that these jacks were a necessity for Jeep owners. Almost every build thread I've seen has one. I don't own any jack whatsoever for my Jeep, and I don't have a winch either,
Honestly, I think they're more to look cool for 99% of the people out there with either item. Ask the average dude with a winch on his bumper how many times he's used it and I bet most of them say very rarely. Same with the highlift. I would much rather slide a floor jack under my axle on the trail to change a tire over a high lift cause they are sketchy at best. People say they have more uses then just jacking. But most those people also have more then one rig in the dirt with them and straps and other recovery equipment that's much faster and efficient.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #13675
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100

Honestly, I think they're more to look cool for 99% of the people out there with either item. Ask the average dude with a winch on his bumper how many times he's used it and I bet most of them say very rarely. Same with the highlift. I would much rather slide a floor jack under my axle on the trail to change a tire over a high lift cause they are sketchy at best. People say they have more uses then just jacking. But most those people also have more then one rig in the dirt with them and straps and other recovery equipment that's much faster and efficient.
Absolutely correct! I bought mine not to look cool, but because I ha a buddy that off roaded all the time, and he talked about how they were essential equipment. That was before I knew better, and when i went out alone before the winch. I've used my jack ONCE, and not for jeeping. I've used my winch a few times, also never for jeeping per se (trying to break into a mine) I do feel much better and comfortable having a winch. If I ever need it, I'm glad it's there. Those jacks are heavy beasts too. They are very unstable even on flat concrete! I could envision using one to lift the front or rear high enough to stack rocks or place wood or something for powder or snow traction, where a floor jack may not be a viable option. Other than those two occasions, Khris is right, an aluminum floor jack would be a better investment 99% of the time. I can say the stock jack set up is cumbersome and just plain sucks to try to use on a trail(first hand experience) also another reason why I bought the jack, I don't like laying/kneeling on rocks an sticker bushes to set up a jack. Keep in mind too, high lift jacks only operate by ratcheting the handle through its entire range of travel(PITA in tight or low clearance areas) while hydraulic jacks will work with fractional lever throws!
Summary: if you like how they look/work for the price, get one. Otherwise, get a hydraulic one and be happy with it. I'll sell you mine with the hood mount if you really want one!
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #13676
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Plumber here... Let me know if I can help, also I have contractors that help speed things like that along, just let me know
I appreciate it. My insurance company got the guys out today and we're getting the place dried out. Once the drying is done, we'll be looking to get some contractors in here, but I'll be coordinating with my insurer at that time. Shoot me a pm with your details and I'll see if I can throw you some business. I don't know if my insurer has a panel of approved contractors that I might be restrained by, but we'll see.
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #13677
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Absolutely correct! I bought mine not to look cool, but because I ha a buddy that off roaded all the time, and he talked about how they were essential equipment. That was before I knew better, and when i went out alone before the winch. I've used my jack ONCE, and not for jeeping. I've used my winch a few times, also never for jeeping per se (trying to break into a mine) I do feel much better and comfortable having a winch. If I ever need it, I'm glad it's there. Those jacks are heavy beasts too. They are very unstable even on flat concrete! I could envision using one to lift the front or rear high enough to stack rocks or place wood or something for powder or snow traction, where a floor jack may not be a viable option. Other than those two occasions, Khris is right, an aluminum floor jack would be a better investment 99% of the time. I can say the stock jack set up is cumbersome and just plain sucks to try to use on a trail(first hand experience) also another reason why I bought the jack, I don't like laying/kneeling on rocks an sticker bushes to set up a jack. Keep in mind too, high lift jacks only operate by ratcheting the handle through its entire range of travel(PITA in tight or low clearance areas) while hydraulic jacks will work with fractional lever throws!
Summary: if you like how they look/work for the price, get one. Otherwise, get a hydraulic one and be happy with it. I'll sell you mine with the hood mount if you really want one!
Well, I'm glad I saved my money then. I never made it over there to buy one today, so I'll just put the money towards a good roof basket or maybe a tent
Williamlv282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #13678
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I got mine for free from a friend. I just cleaned it up and bought one of those neoprene covers for it. The tire carrier that I got off of craigslist already had a mount, so I do have it mounted 90% of the time.

I guess you could use the handle on the end of a ratchet for some extra torque or defend off zombies while you are reloading.

I ate dinner with some friends last night up at Mt Charleston. Wet firewood = no fire and it started getting chilly around 8 with only a t-shirt and shorts on.
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #13679
sirhk100

I don't mean to talk down or make it sound like you're dumb for having a winch or highlift by any means, they don't hurt to have but there's better ways to spend your money I bet... Heck my jeep has a winch and I own a high lift. Wanna buy the winch, I'll toss the jeep in with it!!!! I'm keeping the highlight though still.

Like power said, really about the only time I've ever actually used our highlight was for being completely high centered and stacking rocks. And those times it was cause getting the other vehicle back to us was just in convienent or dragging the jeep over whatever with a strap to the other rig potentially was going to cause damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamlv282 View Post
so I'll just put the money towards a good roof basket or maybe a tent
You'll probably get a lot more actual use out of those two items.

I guess there's some piece of mind with the winch on the bumper that you probably can get yourself out if you're stuck assuming you have the equipment to go along with that also. But really, if I'm out solo, I'm not worried about getting stuck in soft sand or washes, it would only be rocks that I'd be worried about and if I'm solo I know better then to get myself in over my head on rocks.

Personally I think you're better off with a gallon or two of water, some cliff bars or snacks, spare fan belt, some misc hoses and hose clamps along with plastic splices, roll of 12 ga. wire with butt connectors and wire crimpers, idiot light, basic tool kit with knowledge how to use it that includes vice grips, Jumper Cables, GPS/phone/CB radio, matches/lighter, sweat shirt and sweat pants, blanket, a real jack to change flat tires with and then just some offroad common sense to not get yourself in over your head. All the rest of that stuff is to get you help or keep you alive while you find help cause something broke, not cause you're stuck and can't get out. The offroad common sense traveling alone should've dictated that you didn't get stuck in the first place. LOL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #13680
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

on a daily basis I keep a case of water, 2 leatherman tools, foldable shovel, fire starter (cheap one from harbor freight), some rags, gps, blanket, tow strap, a few shackles, and other loose ends.

I really need to get some fuses and some other small quick fix items. When I go on an actual wheeling trip I will add more tools (esp a baby sledge hammer), cargo straps, and sometimes an air tank. As my rig gets a little older or the trails get harder I will start adding more and more to the list.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.