Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 911 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #13651
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_ZJ View Post
Go to 4WP they sell both heights of jacks.
Awesome, thanks!

One last question! Do you guys know how to easily mount the jack diagonally to the spare tire? Is there a write-up on here that someone has already done? I can't seem to find one from the search. Everyone seems to usually mount it on a roof rack, their hood, or their bumper.

Williamlv282 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #13652
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've got mine mounted to the hood. The only problem with that is that it's noisy on bumps because the jack base rattles. If you can find a way to mount it vertically on the rear bumper so it rests on the jack base, it will be quieter. I also have lights mounted up high, and the jack reflects a little bit, but it's not that bad. You can check it out some evening if you want.
Unread 07-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #13653
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

IMHO do not waste your money on a hi-lift. I can change my 37"s all day long with the stock bottle jack, anywhere on the trail! Since your stock it makes it that much easier. And please God forbid you mount that thing to the hood. A hi-lift is not an accessory! I have one and it stayed in the garage for so long I forgot I had one, now it's mounted to my trailer....only because I found it when I moved.

But if you must....this is the only way I like that has secure mounts

Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #13654
sirhk100

Like a glove!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #13655
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice Khris! Why didn't you call me I could have brought over a-hole Mo!
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #13656
sirhk100

Ehhh, honestly, it didn't even really dawn on me to call and see if anyone wanted to cruise by. LOL I just kinda knocked it out. Spent most of Sat out there and a few hours yesterday afternoon out there. I think I kinda over did it on Sat and was getting a bit goofy screwing things up at the end so I called it a day before I wasted tubing. I think I need to limit the length of days out there cause 10 hours out there just is too much.

Unread 07-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #13657
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100

Like a glove!
Wow! Thats some seriously impressive fab skills. Nice job Khris!
B0nez is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #13658
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also if you're set on wanting a hi lift don't get a 48. You can't fit it.anywhere in the jeep. Just get the shorter one.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #13659
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
Wow! Thats some seriously impressive fab skills. Nice job Khris!
Should've checked my fab ego at the door this weekend and I'd have gotten a lot more accomplished but even so I still made a decent amount of progress. I didn't throw away any tube either with screw ups so that's always nice too. I fought with that first roof/a-pillar tube for a few hours trying to get it to sleeve into the existing down bar at the rear of the cab and finally I threw in the town and took the easy way out. I'm not sacrificing any strength with what I ended up doing to get it to fit though so it's all good I suppose. I've got 2 more semi difficult tubes to figure out tonight or over the next couple evenings and then I'll get going on the rear wall (c-pillar), b-pillar down tube and roof bars. I then will get all the gussets figured out and then the roof will get cut off so I can do all my welds and pop it back into place. I'm guessing maybe 2 weeks or so and the cab cage for the most part will be done at this point at least. I'll still have to do seat mounts, steering column stuff, pedal assembly mounts and harness mounts but at least for now I think a majority of it will be done and then I can move into the engine cage area and get it on it's feet. My goal is to basically have all the cage work done by the end of August. Then I can pull the engine in early sept, plate, weld, build motor mounts and drop it back into place. Then that gives me Oct to get the cab setup.

We REALLY REALLY REALLY want to try and have the truck running for the first weekend of Nov. It doesn't have to be 100% but at least good enough to go bounce around in. I'm not 100% sure if we're going to make it cause I still have a rear axle to swap in there also. I think it's going to be tight but that's our goal. First weekend of Nov there's an event down in Laughlin that I'm taking my prerunner to for sure and hopefully the race truck also in support of the make a wish program. The city of Laughlin is covering the travel expense and rooms for all of the local Make a Wish kids and families and the local desert race series is having a joy ride for the kids. Basically they're marking out about a 5 mile loop and the kids will be able to ride in everything from stock bug class race cars to trophy trucks depending who shows up. It should be a great time and we'd really like to get the race truck to the event. Like I said though, worse case my black toyota will make the run 100% for sure. Although I do have a weekend's worht of stuff to deal with on it also. It's been 4 years since they did this Make a Wish ride and from what I've heard the last time around was absolutely amazing and it seems like something we want to be a part of since we're lucky enough to have these toys to share with the kids.

Unread 07-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #13660
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also...don't mount.it.to a vertical surface on a bumper. What happens when you back up and bump into a rock or tree? There goes yer jack if.you were moving with any momentum. Also, I used to drag my bumper alot out at places like logandale....wouldn't want to rip my jack off.

lastly in my years of owning jeeps I have never had to use a hi lift? I've only ever seen one used on a trail once.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #13661
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Was feeling good today until I discovered an inch of water on the floor downstairs.
Unread 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #13662
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw
Was feeling good today until I discovered an inch of water on the floor downstairs.
What happend?
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #13663
sirhk100

We used the high lifts quite a bit on the rubicon trails and dusy ershim along with big bear trails back in the day. I haven't seen anything in the vegas vicinity though that would require one other then a flat tire change which honestly is one of the sketchiest things to do with a high lift IMO. Floor jack is about a million times safer and those little aluminum racing jacks are light weight and affordable these days as well as small enough to typically pack.

Unread 07-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #13664
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a hi-lift jack and I have never used it aside from testing and lubing. It is completely unstable and I would only use it as a last ditch effort if the bottle jack would not work. With that said, the hi-lift jack has many other uses besides lifting the car esp when you are in a pinch on the trail.
Unread 07-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #13665
sirhk100

I use my high lift primarily in my driveway to droop out the suspension so I can unload the preload on the coilovers and adjust my ride height. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.