Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#17,685 ·
Funny, I took that picture of the truck in my driveway yesterday afternoon. Between then and now, it's back on stands, tires are off it, old bedside mounts that the glass is just resting on are completely cut off and the rear leafs have been pulled apart and are stripped down to just the main leaf so I can cycle the rear suspension to get the rear shock mounts figured out correctly. Hoping by the weekend to have it sitting back on the ground with rear shocks installed and ready to actually mount the bedsides. Might even have brakes on all 4 corners again finally if the parts we ordered come in!

#17,686 ·
ksturgio said:
I would have happily ripped his butt out of there hopefully sometime soon ill get a winch for the bumper. With Christmas coming up it might be a little while.
All it would have taken is either a post or a call to damn near anyone on this board and he would have had help coming. Hell if he posted up before going he might have had people with him.

#17,687 ·
Again, the glass isn't actually mounted in these pictures. It's just there to get a general idea of the final look...

As far as final all said and done... Jason is HEAVILY leaning towards having the truck wrapped similar to how this car is painted. Similar color, the rivets along body lines with the old vintage star on the doors. Won't have the pinup girl though, sorry... He's got in mind what he wants done and actually that was the main reason we mocked up the body panels so that he can get pictures out to a graphics design guy and then start getting quotes on the wrap.

#17,689 ·
We talked to quite a few people on Sat at the race in laughlin and basically walked away with the mindset that a wrap is definitely the way to go. We'll see long term how it lasts. It only has to look good from 10 feet away and as it goes by the pits. Funny thing is my truck is spray painted and Sat when I ended up on a quad track in a VERY narrow wash after missing my turn and did some serious bush whacking it didn't phase me one bit cause who cares if the krylon get's scratched! Personally if it was my truck I'd just spray bomb it and race it but Jason really wants it to look good at least it's first time on the start line and is willing to drop the cash on it.

BTW, I forgot to mention, that truck hanging off the cliff I posted last night. 2WD and they had a couple guys stand on the rear driver side corner and backed right out of it... Didn't even need a tug! That to me is pretty damn impressive!

#17,690 ·
Here's the "dirt" portion we took back from Laughlin on Sat afternoon. We took a completely different dirt route on the way there. Pretty fun little section. Not sure I'd want to do some of the stuff down right off the 163 in a regular 2WD but with the spool it was fine. Nothing rocky but some soft wash sections that having the spool gave nice piece of mind for! Especially in that little wash we detoured! LOL

The cool thing is now I've got 100% for sure route preran from Boulder to Laughlin in the dirt and know it's doable. My plan is to get a group of vehicles that can hold a moderate pace and do an overnight run down to laughlin taking some of the same trails both ways but some of it will be different there and back. Like for instance I'd toss Xmas tree pass into the mix just cause it's such a cool scenic section! Granted a car could run that portion but it's more of a trip that will be a fun mix of high speed dirt fun, slower techy type dirt fun and scenic dirt fun with an overnight intermission in laughlin at Loosers Lounge! LOL

Oh and a short but GREAT clip from the race in Laughlin on Sat. Talk about a ride!!!!

And here you go Andrew, I knew I'd seen pictures of that RPM truck hanging off the clip with a more basic paint where you can tell better what it is.

#17,692 ·
Khris, my Jeep is cooler than your truck and the race truck combined. There is one reason and only one reason for that. I get to drive my Jeep. LOL

#17,693 ·
I get to sit in the race truck and make vroom noises! I discussed maybe even setting up a projector on the roof of the truck to play in car desert videos from with a loud system in the garage. Maybe get a big fan to blow some air thru the cab. I figured go pickup a couple home depot parking lot workers and have one bounce the rear bumper for me and another to maybe toss some fine dust and silt into the fan blades. It should work!!!

And I get to drive my truck! Other then some insanely loud squeeking polyurathane bushings and forgetting the cable to run my MP3 thru the intercom system I had no complaints at all with it on Sat. It's actually in better condition and more reliable then my exploder! LOL

Your jeep is cooler then both cause it's got a lever you can pull when you're about to get stuck or are stuck! Very nice piece of mind! That wash we ended up in that got VERY narrow and VERY soft... I was a tiny bit nervous when it finally dead ended on us and I had to do a 20 point turn around. The suspension flex and spool was a savior there cause I think we would've been stuck in that canyon without it. Then again, without that stuff I wouldn't have pushed it as deep into that canyon as I did. I feel I have a decent idea of the limits of the truck from a getting stuck type perspective at least.

I don't drive it really very often but every time I do it's a good refreshing burst of motivation to get this race truck finished so I can knock out the front end on my truck and then really start enjoying it finally worry free for the most part! Funny thing is I've built my truck to go out and blast around the roads on knowing it's overbuilt and will take those hits where you come into them too fast on accident. I don't ever plan to race my truck or really abuse it. Now that I've got the race truck in the mix I figure I can get my destructive urges taken care of a few times a week running it and then just have fun out cruising comfortably in my hoopty! I'll have to take you out on a run in it sometime! Heck, maybe even this weekend since I had so much fun last weekend. LOL I gotta see how the garage progress goes this week. I've lined out a pretty aggressive agenda to knock out by the end of this weekend.

So that friend in the stuck truck posted the picture and the recovery video up on one of the race forums and one of the guys took a still frame shot from the video that was pretty interesting... Check out the tracks!!! Looks like someone else actually made it off the ledge successfully and with the distance they went it sure looks like they were maybe cruising pretty fast! LOL

#17,695 ·
I thought this was the gun forum? Where's the connection with guns and jeeps? Oh wait, I got it! Guns ride in Jeeps!!! Want some statistics? posts 17604 thru 17679 for instance... 42 posts out of 75 were gun topic which might be about 56%. The rest were puck asking for help moving some stuff which I offered but schedules couldn't help and bonez health issues. Wanna go a step further since I'm SUPER bored at work right now? In those 75 posts. There was TWO posts truck related, ONE post of an SUV with wide wheels and... wait for it.... THREE jeepish related posts!!! Make it 4 if you count the one where someone posted a wagon sighting at a shooting range. LOL So... What am I getting at?

Well it would be this...

The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread
Pretty sure I'm on topic cause I sure don't see "jeep" "gun" or "truck" in that title... :p Notice I don't post in the other threads? I'm hangin out for social aspects right now to keep the relations current for the day my 4wd button works again and I can join back in the fun.

At least I'm keeping it offroading related with actual bumps and stuff, not just shock tab breaking graded dirt roads. :p

Next topic???!!!

I was at revolver the other night and I saw SIX different people smart phoning while either 2 stepping or line dancing! Everyone I was with was laughing our ***** off at these losers!

But, if you do insist... Garza swung by my house with his JEEP yesterday and that thing is absolutely amazing!!! Borderline sleeper cause on the trails it's capable of, it probably won't turn heads until people are scratching their heads trying to figure out how he walked thru it so easily. It would all make sense though when they look under it! Best part about it though is the details are so subtle on what's been done to it that most wouldn't even figure it all out or notice unless he points them out.

#17,698 ·
sirhk100 said:
I'm hangin out for social aspects right now to keep the relations current for the day my 4wd button works again and I can join back in the fun.
What is this "button" you speak of?

sirhk100 said:
But, if you do insist... Garza swung by my house with his JEEP yesterday and that thing is absolutely amazing!!! Borderline sleeper cause on the trails it's capable of, it probably won't turn heads until people are scratching their heads trying to figure out how he walked thru it so easily. It would all make sense though when they look under it! Best part about it though is the details are so subtle on what's been done to it that most wouldn't even figure it all out or notice unless he points them out.
I am jelly, I have wanted to see that thing since he got it back.

#17,699 ·
Man you must be bored. I would make more jeep related posts but my jeep hasn't run in almost 2 years. Partly because I don't make enough time to work on it a lot, part is me being cheap, and part because I really would rather spend that time and money on a cj, yj, tj or something that has a real frame.
Oh and I enjoy the truck pics, progress, race vids, so keep em coming. I think all the chit chat here is very welcome. I spend most of my day checking this because its convenient and I like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.