Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 861 - JeepForum.com

 4Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #12901 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
ksturgio
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez
Dang marn, who peed in your cheerios this morning

Poor choice or not, I had no idea what I was doing when I bought it and it was a good deal at the time. I figured since the group here seemed pretty decent and knowlageable on the subject I would avoid any other "poor choice(s)" I don't mind spending money when necessary, but I don't see the point in spending extra when it isn't really going to give me any advantage.

I don't reload right now and I am not planning on it any time soon so I didn't see any problem with aluminum or steel casings. And based on your recommendations of making sure it isn't messy reloads that require extra cleaning (though I clean & oil every firearm after every shooting) and the description of minimal fouling it sounded decent.

Either way, thanks for the feedback Ksturgio & Marn. I am going to finish browsing through those other links and try and get some ammo ordered this weekend.
Ammo and caliber choice is all personal preference. I've never shot .40 mostly because my dad hates it so I hate it. I have friends that love .40 I just have no experience with it.

Just find what you like and f everyone else. That is one of my basic views in life. F everyone else it's all about me and my family. After that f you.

ksturgio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12902 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer
 
Marn's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 11,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez
Dang marn, who peed in your cheerios this morning

Poor choice or not, I had no idea what I was doing when I bought it and it was a good deal at the time. I figured since the group here seemed pretty decent and knowlageable on the subject I would avoid any other "poor choice(s)" I don't mind spending money when necessary, but I don't see the point in spending extra when it isn't really going to give me any advantage.

I don't reload right now and I am not planning on it any time soon so I didn't see any problem with aluminum or steel casings. And based on your recommendations of making sure it isn't messy reloads that require extra cleaning (though I clean & oil every firearm after every shooting) and the description of minimal fouling it sounded decent.

Either way, thanks for the feedback Ksturgio & Marn. I am going to finish browsing through those other links and try and get some ammo ordered this weekend.
I don't eat Cheerios. I just told you it doesn't really matter what you shoot, and that .40 is always going to be somewhat expensive. No need to get offended.

P.s. if you have no reason or specific desire for owning a .40 you could always sell it and get something less expensive and easier to shoot.

As for steel/aluminum casings....

Steel is alot more rough on your chamber. If its not some precision firearm and is plenty durable go for it. I will not run steel ammo through my M1A because I don't want to beat on the chamber/breach/throat.

Also, I've never had a brass case expand and jam inside the gun (not malfunction, jam) and I've had it happen with steel. Its not just a cleanliness thing.

If you're shooting through a glock or something it likely won't matter, but its something to consider.

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Marn is offline  
post #12903 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer
 
Marn's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 11,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio

Just find what you like and f everyone else. That is one of my basic views in life. F everyone else it's all about me and my family. After that f you.
Yeah! F me!

P.s. I hate .40 too.

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Marn is offline  
post #12904 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 AM
gregaf3
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sin City
Posts: 3,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams1985cj View Post
Anything going on this weekend?
Well hell if you are in town this weekend I guess we are not going up to Utah to crash your cabin and get out of this heat. As of right now I do not have very much planned, but I do want to hit 4L sometime this weekend and hopefully do it at altitude so it is a little cooler.



Just got back from cruising the spring mountains. Boy the mid 60's feel really nice after having a week of triple digits.

Professional Slacker
gregaf3 is offline  
post #12905 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer
 
Marn's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 11,222
P.s. ill be drinking beer all weekend to make up for all the stupid 12 hour days.

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Marn is offline  
post #12906 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM
ksturgio
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,986
I will be at the county shooting park sat am for a good day of shooting with my dad and father in law. My pops wants to do some long range stuff with his M1. Father in law wants to do some black powder revolver and trap. I am shooting the new xd. By the end of all that I might be all shot out.
ksturgio is offline  
post #12907 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 11:32 AM
B0nez
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,314
Alright all you .40 haters & trolls I got it, no one likes my gun, but thatís just fine by me Ďcause I do.
Donít worry Marn, no offense taken; I am just dishin it back. You should try cheerios sometime, they are pretty good, stay away from that apple cinnamon crap though.

I wondered why there weren't more steel/aluminum casings and the potential wear /tear & over-expansion issues make a good argument why more people donít go to it.

The thought of selling the .40 & getting a different firearm has crossed my mind, but in all honesty I donít know what I would get or even how to find out what I have is worth or where/how to sell it. I prefer semi-auto handguns & when I was buying 9mmís had a bad reputation from all the gang bangers and few LEO and military acquaintances recommended either Glock or Beretta .40 so I went with the 96FS. (Glocks feel really unbalanced to me) I havenít really researched or done anything serious with guns for a while but all the gun talk lately has piqued my interest again.

Ksturgio's XD is AWESOME lookin though
B0nez is offline  
post #12908 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 11:39 AM
PhotoJared
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG
Just got home from Nelson. It was a great night run with the War Machines. Tons of fun and my new HIDs work like a champ.
You guys were headed up the 95 at around 7ish yea? I saw a nice convoy passing horizon ridge. I was heading the other direction.

'99 XJ Sport
It has a lift
It has 31's
It also other stuff
PhotoJared is offline  
post #12909 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM
ksturgio
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,986
[

Ksturgio's XD is AWESOME lookin though [/QUOTE]

Thanks man. I'm really hoping it shoots as good as it looks.
ksturgio is offline  
post #12910 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 12:35 PM
sirhk100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6,070
Bonez, if you ever wanted to try a 9mm glock I have a model 19.



Gonna make this easy and just post up the craigslist link.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3094432824.html


Negotiable on price and truthfully, it only has one known issue and I'm hoping to have it fixed early next week if not sooner. A few on here have seen it in person and know it's a good running very capable rig.

Will give $50 cash finders fee to anyone that sends someone my way that actually follows thru and buys it.

Khris

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline  
post #12911 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Powrjunkey
Web Wheeler
 
Powrjunkey's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las vegas
Posts: 4,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez
Hey Marn, KSturgio & Powr - One of my employees just told me about this stuff, what do you guys think?

Herters Select Grade TNJ .40 S&W
I've never shot aluminum case ammo, but sturgios right, it not reloadable. I've used steel case fiocci ammo and was completely diappointed, and will never buy another box of it. There's an ammo company at the gun shows that sell bitterroot ammo company or something like that. It's in red boxes. I've bought several hundred rounds from them and never had a failure. I have had failures with the yellow box pmc bulk you get at Walmart too. But that stuff is inexpensive, reloadable, and no major issues, just some feed jams. It's good for target, but don't bet your life on it.

The difference between stupidity and ignorance. Ignorance is doing something wrong and not knowing better. Stupidity is knowing better, but doing it anyway. Don't be stupid!
Powrjunkey is offline  
post #12912 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer
 
Marn's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 11,222
p.s. i hate glocks too.

dont get me wrong, they are fantastic weapons, i just dont like em and cant shoot em worth crap.

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Marn is offline  
post #12913 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer
 
Marn's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 11,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
Alright all you .40 haters & trolls I got it, no one likes my gun, but thatís just fine by me Ďcause I do.
Donít worry Marn, no offense taken; I am just dishin it back. You should try cheerios sometime, they are pretty good, stay away from that apple cinnamon crap though.

I wondered why there weren't more steel/aluminum casings and the potential wear /tear & over-expansion issues make a good argument why more people donít go to it.

The thought of selling the .40 & getting a different firearm has crossed my mind, but in all honesty I donít know what I would get or even how to find out what I have is worth or where/how to sell it. I prefer semi-auto handguns & when I was buying 9mmís had a bad reputation from all the gang bangers and few LEO and military acquaintances recommended either Glock or Beretta .40 so I went with the 96FS. (Glocks feel really unbalanced to me) I havenít really researched or done anything serious with guns for a while but all the gun talk lately has piqued my interest again.

Ksturgio's XD is AWESOME lookin though

do 30 seconds of reasearch on gunbroker.com and you'll know what its worth.

poast it up on backpage and nevada shooters, it'll sell fast.

you meet the person (non-felon Nevada resident) at a metro station, hand them the gun, they hand you the cash, they go register it at said metro station. No paperwork or anything unless you want a bill of sale to CYA.

if you like the beretta, then get yourself some flavor of 92 in 9mm.

or a glock.

or a springfield.

or a ruger, or whatever you like.

or keep your gun.

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Marn is offline  
post #12914 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer
 
Marn's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 11,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
I will be at the county shooting park sat am for a good day of shooting with my dad and father in law. My pops wants to do some long range stuff with his M1. Father in law wants to do some black powder revolver and trap. I am shooting the new xd. By the end of all that I might be all shot out.
I'll be up there on saturday.

I had to remount the scope on the M1A, so i need to get back to zero.

Picking up a bunch of .308 match ammo today from a guy on shooters. awesome price. $20 a box, even with my discount at brownells its still normally 35 a box. woot!

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Marn is offline  
post #12915 of 41840 Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 PM
ksturgio
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
p.s. i hate glocks too.

dont get me wrong, they are fantastic weapons, i just dont like em and cant shoot em worth crap.
I totally agree I just sent my glock that I had maybe 30 rds through to my brother. I wasn't accurate with it and just hated the way it felt. If this xd is the same it will be up for sale Monday. Everyone swears by glocks but I won't ever buy another.
ksturgio is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
iweb
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Trail Run Thread - Southern Nevada Marn Nevada Jeep Forum 1354 05-05-2016 08:43 PM
Best Trails in Southern Nevada? davidsonlaw Nevada Jeep Forum 17 04-13-2012 04:00 PM
31st. Annual Hump-N-Bump November 4th - 5th 2011 Logandale Nevada - Outside Las Vegas bonofied suiter Nevada Jeep Forum 0 10-08-2011 01:08 AM
Post runs for Las Vegas Nevada area here. ajeepcreep Nevada Jeep Forum 0 02-05-2009 04:40 PM
May 31 / June 1 - Central California/Nevada High Desert (Mojave->Vegas) DiscoBayJoe Nevada Jeep Forum 7 05-22-2008 03:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome