Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 819 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #12271
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice job Khris!

B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #12272
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

hummer-wooden-wheels.jpg  
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #12273
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny
Hot blonde!
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #12274
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! This whole steel vs aluminum started because I was contemplating OEM moab prices vs aftermarket prices! As far as strength and weight goes, we are ALL citing extremes in examples. Aesthetics can't be the only reason nearly every oem manufacturer is selling a majority of their lines on aluminum alloys-even large trucks and SUVs get them factory. The factory aluminum rims on my jeep have never touched the ground while wheeling, and I've run steel wheels on street cars that have touched the ground. Either way, when a wheel fails, the same thing happens. Changing to a spare and pay someone to either repair(steel) or replace(aluminum) your wheel. When working at a tire shop, I can tell you, there is a BIG difference in weight and balancing of steel and aluminum rims. We all loved the aluminums, guess why? It all comes to preference on looks and effort to change a spare, like Khris said! The race world is apples and oranges to us. You never know, though that 7 lbs per wheel may just be the difference between a throttle mistake being no biggie and an axle failure. It doesn't have to be always pushing it to that limit. We all have either dropped the clutch a little hard or spun a tire and gripped a rock a little hard or whatever.
So, back to the original posting question before Merrick hijacked me. The procomp aluminum for 100-120, or moabs for around 500-600 on CL for a set of FIVE, FIVE, FIVE!!!
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #12275
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't hijack you, Bonez did, lol

and by those prices you are looking at no monetary difference so then it is personal preference. How about keep your stock rims and put the money towards something more important! haha
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #12276
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Powr these will work for the time being with your "lowriding" rig! haha

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/3051189502.html
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #12277
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post

My bad there are only 4 of them, shucks!
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #12278
sirhk100

I just had alloy wheels quoted to replicate mustang styled steel wheels and we currently produce classic mustange styled steel wheels. The tooling cost is up there but unit price... There's a no brainer on why OE supplies with aluminum. I'm willing to bet it's 99% the bean counters making this call and about 1% because the average consumer prefers the look of an alloy wheel over a steel wheel. You can do more cosmetics with alloy.

Consumer also doesn't care about the guy balancing his wheels. But also, alloy is going to always hold more of a true tolerance then a welded steel wheel, that's a given.

But when it comes down to it, in our real world for what we do, the difference in weight does not matter is what I'm saying. If I slip the clutch and pop an axle, I promise you it has to do much more with the fact I'm running a 35" tire on a stock dana 35 then it has anything to do with the weight of my steel wheel. Sure there's that line that exists somewhere that would make the difference of snapping vs not because of that weight difference but what's the statistical chance of me finding the exact line where it breaks cause of that? Once again, my 66 lb 35" tire is making WAY bigger of an impact on my axles compared to YSB's street radial dirt road conquering 31" AT!

And last but least...

If this whole thing is opinion on what you should run, you should make that decision for yourself. I shouldn't have any influence on what wheels you want to run on your jeep! Cause if you value my opinion that much on your jeep... I suggest you run these! Trust me, they'll look awesome on it! (merrick, your wheel choice sucks! Mine rule!)

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1935645

They're aluminum so they must be awesome!

Actually now that I think about it... YSB, why aren't you running these? (this is also a test to see if he reads!!!)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #12279
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So just went to the school where my kids will probably go....wiener elementary and they're the "whalers" isn't whaling illegal? It's like calling a middle school the "poachers" not good for the kids!
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #12280
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG

HEY!!! I SAID NO CHROME!!! they would look good on polkas ride!
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #12281
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
So just went to the school where my kids will probably go....wiener elementary and they're the "whalers" isn't whaling illegal? It's like calling a middle school the "poachers" not good for the kids!
Just let YSB home school them.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #12282
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
I just had alloy wheels quoted to replicate mustang styled steel wheels and we currently produce classic mustange styled steel wheels. The tooling cost is up there but unit price... There's a no brainer on why OE supplies with aluminum. I'm willing to bet it's 99% the bean counters making this call and about 1% because the average consumer prefers the look of an alloy wheel over a steel wheel. You can do more cosmetics with alloy.

Consumer also doesn't care about the guy balancing his wheels. But also, alloy is going to always hold more of a true tolerance then a welded steel wheel, that's a given.

But when it comes down to it, in our real world for what we do, the difference in weight does not matter is what I'm saying. If I slip the clutch and pop an axle, I promise you it has to do much more with the fact I'm running a 35" tire on a stock dana 35 then it has anything to do with the weight of my steel wheel. Sure there's that line that exists somewhere that would make the difference of snapping vs not because of that weight difference but what's the statistical chance of me finding the exact line where it breaks cause of that? Once again, my 66 lb 35" tire is making WAY bigger of an impact on my axles compared to YSB's street radial dirt road conquering 31" AT!

And last but least...

If this whole thing is opinion on what you should run, you should make that decision for yourself. I shouldn't have any influence on what wheels you want to run on your jeep! Cause if you value my opinion that much on your jeep... I suggest you run these! Trust me, they'll look awesome on it! (merrick, your wheel choice sucks! Mine rule!)

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1935645

They're aluminum so they must be awesome!

Actually now that I think about it... YSB, why aren't you running these? (this is also a test to see if he reads!!!)
These would help with his hunting trips!! Agreed, the tire weight is vastly more of an issue than the rim. Over the range of five rims, though, it does add up. It covered the weight of my bumping system you like hating on so often! I can help you build one. I was simply making the statement that for OEM used moabs, NEW aftermarkets are available for the same price range, and was asking if anyone had any reviews of them and if they were well built?
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #12283
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what about the valve stem placement on those teddy rims! haha
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #12284
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Polka!
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/11...er-police-say/
This guy must have had just uncontrollable rage! Done and done!
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #12285
sirhk100

I'm good with my single infinity 10 in the rear. No need for the big bumps, yours does sound awesome though! We just like making fun cause I think most of us would've pushed a system much further down the list of aftermarket priorities. Not to mention mine's parked out side in da hood, that system would be gone the first night if I had it! I'm not anti systems... I've got a 10" sub in the jeep, a 12" sub in my car and a 10" sub in my truck.

100 lbs doesn't matter to me one bit on my jeep! Heck, if weight was so important to me I'd make all passengers get out and walk the trails. LOL

Anyone ever ran thru real silt? Check out this video from last weekend. That stuff is nasty! I'm not even sure my jeep on 35's would make it thru that honestly...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.