Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 807 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutIntroducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 06-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #12091
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamlv282 View Post
Hey guys, you wouldn't happen to know any good Jeep Trails near Cedar City, UT would you? I'm going up to visit my brother and I'm thinking about taking the Jeep.

Also, I'm thinking about buying my first gun and I'm not sure where I should go in Vegas to make my purchase. Just gonna get a Remington 870 or a bolt action .22, depending on the prices I find. I've just been browsing Dick's Sporting Goods, but is there any place in particular I should go first for better prices, service, etc?
Jeep Trails - Not sure how serious you want to go, I know I went to a W.E. Rock event near there years ago so there are some good trails, but the folks & links in this thread might be able to give you some pointers: http://www.rme4x4.com/forumdisplay.php?93-Trail-Talk&

My vote for where to purchase guns: Wherever is cheapest. Just make sure you know exactly what you want and how to verify it has it. I have gotten guns from mom&pop gun stores, Big5 Sporting goods, Walmart, etc. and I have found that if I know what I want and how to make sure I am getting what I am paying for, it doesn't matter where I go. Now if you aren't absolutely 100% sure on both of these things; do what you did and ask the other yahoo's and rednecks in this forum and they'll get you in touch with their crazy-uncles-cousins-ex-wifes-brothers-wifes-half sisters-cousins dogs-breeder that happens to be a local gun dealer that will hook you up.
On a personal note, if you haven't made up your mind solid on the bolt action, you should also consider lever action, lots more fun if you ask me. Anyway, I have both a Remington 870 (express) and a lever action .22 if you want to try 'em both out and see what you like

B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #12092
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
Jeep Trails - Not sure how serious you want to go, I know I went to a W.E. Rock event near there years ago so there are some good trails, but the folks & links in this thread might be able to give you some pointers: http://www.rme4x4.com/forumdisplay.php?93-Trail-Talk&

My vote for where to purchase guns: Wherever is cheapest. Just make sure you know exactly what you want and how to verify it has it. I have gotten guns from mom&pop gun stores, Big5 Sporting goods, Walmart, etc. and I have found that if I know what I want and how to make sure I am getting what I am paying for, it doesn't matter where I go. Now if you aren't absolutely 100% sure on both of these things; do what you did and ask the other yahoo's and rednecks in this forum and they'll get you in touch with their crazy-uncles-cousins-ex-wifes-brothers-wifes-half sisters-cousins dogs-breeder that happens to be a local gun dealer that will hook you up.
On a personal note, if you haven't made up your mind solid on the bolt action, you should also consider lever action, lots more fun if you ask me. Anyway, I have both a Remington 870 (express) and a lever action .22 if you want to try 'em both out and see what you like
Fair enough!
I haven't made up my mind, and I looked at the Ruger 10/22 (that's lever action right?) but the prices I saw scared me, and I've always thought bolt action was so cool!
I'm just taking it out to the desert for target practice. If I get the Remington 870, I'll be clay shooting, and if I get a .22, I'll be practicing my long distance accuracy. Either one will ultimately make me happy... for the time being
Williamlv282 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #12093
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ruger 10/22 is bolt action I believe. I'd get the .22 before a shotgun. LOTS cheaper to shoot and way more fun.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #12094
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The ruger 10/22 is not a bolt action. It is a semi-auto. Why are you set on a bolt action? Just curious. Ruger 10/22s can be had in the 250 range and are an excellent weapon!
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #12095
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've never used a lever action before, are there any pros to buying a lever action over a bolt?

EDIT: I only saw one Ruger in person and it was almost $600, but looking at their website I was probably looking at the tactical version, because you're right the other ones seem pretty affordable.

I'm not necessarily set on bolt-action, but I've always thought that I'd own one someday. I drooled over them for years and now that I'm finally old enough to buy one I've been introduced to all these other rifels and now I can't make up my mind!
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #12096
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also what do you consider "long range accuracy?" a 22 will only be consistently good out to around 200 yds with a scope. After that, the bullet just becomes too unstable due to wind, and bullet drop. Keep in mind it's very small and relatively low velocity compared to other rifle cartridges. If you were shooting 17hmr or 22 jet, you could probably get to 250-300yds on a good day. Small bullets generally travel straighter, but fall off quickly, while larger caliber stuff is generally a longer arch type trajectory. Again all generalizations an I'm sure guys will call me on exceptions.
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #12097
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Also what do you consider "long range accuracy?" a 22 will only be consistently good out to around 200 yds with a scope. After that, the bullet just becomes too unstable due to wind, and bullet drop. Keep in mind it's very small and relatively low velocity compared to other rifle cartridges. If you were shooting 17hmr or 22 jet, you could probably get to 250-300yds on a good day. Small bullets generally travel straighter, but fall off quickly, while larger caliber stuff is generally a longer arch type trajectory. Again all generalizations an I'm sure guys will call me on exceptions.
200yds is probably more than enough for me. I've only been shooting a few times with friends, and we shot shotguns and revolvers for the most part. Most of my experience with rifles has been shooting my Crosman air rifle at the pigeons on my roof. I'd like to dial in my accuracy with something cheap and easy, and I can upgrade from there later if I need to.
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #12098
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What you really should do, honestly is evaluate what it is exactly you want to do with this gun. Do you want something to just pop cans at 0-100yds? Do you want something that makes a loud "BOOM!" and bruises your shoulder? You can get bolt action rifles in just about any caliber you want. My personal preference is smaller caliber stuff, because lets face it, the same shot will be just as deadly regardless of caliber. I like 223 rem(it's popular, relatively cheap), 204 ruger(based on 223) and 308(bit more recoil, not as fun to shoot). In pistols, I love 9mm and 45! They're cheap-ish and accurate with moderate to manageable recoil.
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #12099
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If it were me, depending on budget, would he something in 223 or 22. You can find both in bolt action and semi auto. I own a Thompson center encore which can be easily changes from pistol to rifle by turning 3 screws. It's available in any caliber from 17-500 S&W. It's a break action single shot though(I don't mind because im not in a hurry) if you want to try some stuff, I've got lots of different toys you can shoot. A lever action is similar to a bolt action, but is a little quicker action.
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #12100
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'll definitely look into it a bit more, thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll go to a gun range and just try out a few of the guns I'm looking at.
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #12101
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like for the budget you are in the market for, I'd go straight to my closest big 5 and drop 250-275 for a stainless 10/22(blue will be cheaper though by $10-15) then go to any gun store an pick up a 30 rd magazine and some decent ammo and go have fun. It will be accurate to around 200yds too. If your eyes are better than mine, you may not even have to invest in a scope. Just play with it, get used to it, and practice.
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #12102
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Go to Walmart you can get a ruger 10/22 for $200 new. They make enough parts for them that you can turn it into whatever you want tactical to target rifle. I'm a big ruger guy as is powr. As far as 22 go ruger is the best deal. Lever actions are pretty fun though.
If you get a shotgun the 870 is a good one. I shoot a lot of sporting clays and some trap. My pump is an old Ted Williams model 20 that is 40+yrs old but still works great. If you can find one they are pretty cheap. Also check out new frontier fire arms. I saw a browning sweet 16 and a humpback for fairly cheap. (used of course).
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #12103
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check this out!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=288232370
I'm sure you can get close to this locally, plus background check. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about a ruger 10/22!
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #12104
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Sounds like for the budget you are in the market for, I'd go straight to my closest big 5 and drop 250-275 for a stainless 10/22(blue will be cheaper though by $10-15) then go to any gun store an pick up a 30 rd magazine and some decent ammo and go have fun. It will be accurate to around 200yds too. If your eyes are better than mine, you may not even have to invest in a scope. Just play with it, get used to it, and practice.
In all honesty that's probably what I'll end up doing. All signs point to the Ruger. My eyes aren't too good, I'm extremely near-sighted, so a scope may be in my future. We'll see how shooting without a scope goes first
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #12105
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamlv282
I'll definitely look into it a bit more, thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll go to a gun range and just try out a few of the guns I'm looking at.
If you want to shoot anything I've got let me know. It seems most gun guys on here are pretty willing to let you shoot their stuff as long as you aren't an as shole. Oh and you buy your own ammo. Shooting 223 through my mini can get expensive real quick. Same goes with .45 and all bigger ammo.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.