Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#1,521 ·
Awesome pics guys, I wish that I could have made it. We went up tooling around on the angel peak road today, we did not go all the way up to the summit though, instead we cut off and took the powerline road back to Kyle Canyon. Still pretty good for a quick trip.

#1,524 ·
Polka, since you're new to the area, you have to try Rocky Gap. Every local has to give it a try. Here are the coordinates to the Red Rock Canyon scenic loop. $5 entry.
36° 7'54.32"N 115°25'17.43"W

Here are the coordinates to the offroad area, Rocky Gap:
36° 9'41.86"N 115°29'57.44"W

That trail will take you almost to Parhump if you want, but after the summit is when it gets difficult. You'll need good clearance or a good spotter. I usually just go to the summit and turn around. You'll have a good chance of seeing big horn sheep in the area. I always see them when the temps drop and they start moving lower down the mountains.

Rocky Gap has some of the best local offroad views. I use it as a baseline for trails. When someone asks me about the difficulty of a trail, I ask them if they've been on Rocky Gap. If they have, I'll make comparisons to sections of Rocky Gap.

#1,525 ·
Funny thing about getting onto cotton wood pass was about a quarter mile into it this girl in her compact CAR came from the other direction. I was WTF? Just as I was getting the feeling that "hey I'm off road!" this car comes by. lol
That's why I brought up Rocky Gap. I once saw a couple teens in a Prius stuck along Rocky Gap. When you see Rocky Gap, you'll understand what makes this so funny. His passenger side IFS came completely off and his front tire was tucked deep into his fender.

He got mad because I wouldn't pull him down. :laugh:

#1,527 ·
That's why I brought up Rocky Gap. I once saw a couple teens in a Prius stuck along Rocky Gap. When you see Rocky Gap, you'll understand what makes this so funny. His passenger side IFS came completely off and his front tire was tucked deep into his fender.

He got mad because I wouldn't pull him down. :laugh:
Haha that is quite hilarious. I don't think my wife would let me pull a Prius! She would probably charge them a pretty penny if she did lol. A lot of the guys I know from Warmachines702 club do rocky gap, so I have heard about it. I was told to get some belly armor first which I am saving up for. Seeing some large wild life does sound very cool. So far we have only seen some hawks, donkeys, rabbits, and some pretty large lizards.

#1,528 ·
If rocky gap is the one I'm thinking of, my dad and I did it in my stock tj. Had two wheel action once toward the end though. Right front and left rear floating for about two seconds. It was awesome!! We just took it on into pahrump.

#1,529 ·
If rocky gap is the one I'm thinking of, my dad and I did it in my stock tj.
Three years ago, it was borderline stock friendly. Two years ago, the rock garden grew and stock risked getting high centered. Last year to this, stock is out of the question unless you hate your Jeep.

Even now, you can go several miles before you reach the summit and rock garden just after. Still plenty to see before you turn around. You won't need any belly armor for most of the trail. Just that one part past the summit. Just turn around before the summit.

#1,530 ·
Seeing some large wild life does sound very cool. So far we have only seen some hawks, donkeys, rabbits, and some pretty large lizards.
Since you live so close to Wheelers Pass, go there and you'll see plenty of wild horses. There hasn't been a time we visited there and not seen horses.

They are wild, but very friendly. Go to Sam's and pick up a couple bags of carrots. 10 pounds is about $5. They'll be your best friends.

Stop here:
36°25'15.60"N 115°43'55.18"W

There's a creek running through and there are usually horses right around there.

#1,534 ·
Three years ago, it was borderline stock friendly. Two years ago, the rock garden grew and stock risked getting high centered. Last year to this, stock is out of the question unless you hate your Jeep.

Even now, you can go several miles before you reach the summit and rock garden just after. Still plenty to see before you turn around. You won't need any belly armor for most of the trail. Just that one part past the summit. Just turn around before the summit.
I did it this summer with a stock JKU Rubi, heck I think it even still had the temp tags on... if that counts as a stock vehicle. Only drug in a few spots, but this was coming from the Red Rock side. I had the wife drive while I spotted, I just set her up right off the bat in 4l all locked and the sway bar disco'd. She rocked it all the way, then would not shut up on how she did it

Attachments

#1,540 ·
Ysb...you whore!!! Lol. I was the same way with my TJ, poked a pen tip hole in my back window from joshua tree. Now its scratched all to hell. Character marks and battle scars rock!! I would quit, but I kinda need the money. No money=no jeep fun. :(.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.