Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#14,801 ·
Dr. Marneaus said:
we should try that some time with a holstered cocked and locked airsoft gun sometime.

i bet almost all of us wearing holsters would go home with BB welts.
Probably would. The gun I carried was a double action, and was not cocked like a 1911 is. If you pull the trigger with the safety on, the hammer an trigger still move, but nothing else. A 1911 gives no hesitation. Once it clicks the round is out.

#14,802 ·
Unless the guy getting the gun from you is mildly familiar with it, it will take them a moment to get the safety off. Some click up, while others click down. A typical person would draw and threaten first, which buys even more time.
I agree about retention holsters for open carry, but like sturgio and I said, open carry is more of a hassle than needs to be...at least in the city. Hiking, jeeping, etc, open carry is fine.
I agree with you on open carrying be more of a hassle than need be but I still disagree on how long it takes someone to figure out a safety. Up or down doesn't matter, how long does it take for you to slide your thumb over the safety? It it clicks... boom. If it doesn't, you slide your thumb the other way then... boom.

Drawing and threatening shouldn't even be in the equation because while they are threatening, they are also working the safety or at least I would be.

#14,805 ·
Also, there's a difference between 'jamming' and 'malfunctioning'

A 'jam' would require a trip to a gunsmith. :rtft:

:cheers2::highfive::tea::kiss:
LOL, magazine-clip... Tubing-pipe... DGAF, you know what I'm talking about. :laugh::cheers:

paranoia really isn't part of the equation. If you wear a seatbelt in your truck, does that mean you're paranoid about getting into a crash?
While I admit, my rationale for not carrying a glock may be irrational, it's just an opinion. As I state before, ive never had a function issue with mine, but just don't trust it. Sort of like how some people refuse to carry a hammerless revolver! It's personal preference.
Providing a scenario that I so obviously sarcastic only serves to cheapen the conversation by portraying everyone as irrational idiots for trying to be prepared for the increasing possibility of a dangerous, life threatening encounter. There are seriously nutty and/or criminal people who do carry guns and wouldn't hesitate to use them to take your ish. So call me paranoid or stupid, or whatnot, but IF I ever really need my pistol, I'll be damn glad I've got it and had discussions like these to help prepare by getting others' opinions.
Watch out for floor mats if you drive a toyota, watch out for exploding tires if you drive an explorer (uh oh!!!), Suzuki's spontaneously roll over and throttles stick wide open on every car ever made. So really you probably shouldn't drive to be honest!

As for the underlined part, If you fear for your life that much around town you should probably stay home, the worlds a dangerous place! Yet somehow I don't think any of us have pulled a weapon on someone in public in fear of our life. I don't carry in public, I'm also not scared in public either though and that's why I don't carry.

To be 100% honest, I wear my seat belt because yes, I am a bit paranoid of others on the road! I'm far far far far more worried about getting in a wreck then I am about being attacked at McDonalds munching on my big mac or at the movies. Actually I'll be at spiderman tonight around 5:50 at sams town if anyone wants to come in blasting. I won't be packing!!! You're safe... From me at least...

and got more paranoid(Khris:laugh:) and realized that it's not a great idea to announce to everyone that you have a gun!
It's amazing that that's not common sense for everyone and that people do open carry.

If you carry daily and all that I completely support your choice! I just don't feel it's that scary of a world to feel the need to carry my gun for protection. I guess that's just me... I'm single, no kids, etc... We all die eventually and if some crazed dude takes me out, hopefully I don't see it coming is all I can say. Life will go on for everyone else and I've got no regrets with how I've lived my life so I'll continue on without the urge to carry a gun in fear that some crazed loon will cross my path.

#14,807 ·
And on another note!!!

Click to sort by name and find the picture of my truck on page 12 and Jason's truck on page 10 and vote 5 stars! Jason's truck is the one with the white front clip (or is it magazine? Wait, sorry, wrong conversation!) and the front tires in the air, it's the same truck that's living in my garage these days!

Feel free to vote 1's for everyone else on the page or as many as you want. Hopefully this link works. .

http://www.generaltiresweeps.com/gallery.php#.UCv6yaP59Bk

#14,809 ·
Yeah, but it will be several months before I'm ready for them and they would just sit and dry out. Thanks for the heads up though!
So those extra-small condoms DO have an expiration date, huh?

#14,810 ·
Khris, ironically while working, I've been in some pretty nasty situations. I'm at mcds and gas stations very late at night. We've had some customers' businesses robbed or shooting inside during hours that we could be in there working on stuff. I've had people deliberately trying to fight with me for whatever their reasons inside bars and restaurants late at night. We ha a technician threatened with a knife inside a restaurant that just recently had a shooting. Another tech had a beer bottle smashed on his head while walking into a gas station to fix equipment. If you were out and about in places as often as driving, I think you may have a slightly differing opinion on this. I've missed being bitten by a dog by literally inches(had to jump away before owner got control) I've had people flash weapons while driving and received threats just by being in a certain neighborhood at night. People get desperate, and of they think you have something they want, they will try to take it. I've been saying for a while now that its only a matter of time before one of us(techs) gets mugged or stabbed or shot because we must go to areas of town that have a....reputation.

#14,811 ·
Dr. Marneaus said:
So those extra-small condoms DO have an expiration date, huh?
Rofl!! They were a good price though. They were too big for right now! In a few months(after surgery) they would fit! Lol

#14,812 ·
Two of my buddies have stared down the wrong end of guns while doing their jobs. One of them had the guy pull the hammer back and told him to "make your peace with god!" and the guy was quite serious. He got out of it by calling the office on his work phone in his hand and the secretary heard the conversation and call the cops! It really is a scary place to be here! Thing happen that don't make the news!

#14,813 ·
Open carry isnt the best idea unless you are trained in weapon retention.

you mentioned it taking him an extra second or two to get your gun figured out. So.....you're a triple mega raging black blue red yellow green belt rthat can subdue and disarm a determined criminal in 2 seconds? Lol. Just food for thought.

thats just my opinion. Out of sight, out of mind is my motto, but different strokes for different folks.

Only time I ever regularly OC is when camping and sometimes when wheeling/hiking. All of which generally do not involve close proximity to strangers.
I agree on the out of site. I feel like open carry can escalate some situations, I've seen it happen.

Personally I'm a fan of the Glock, if my wife has to use it she can just point and click. I've shot a few thousand rounds thru mine and the only malfunction I've ever had was caused by a worn out clip spring.

On the home defense I vote for the shotgun with the bird shot. Even if the perp lives he's done causing me problems.

#14,815 ·
I used to have to go to seigel suites and the like at my old job all the time, and measure the entire properties. A few of them took 2 or 3 days being there from 9-5.

I got hassled a lot there, by simply unsavory types as well as kids as well as crazy types, that was one of the reasons I started carrying.

#14,816 ·
Many if not any situation can be survived unarmed by simply using your head! Avoid letting people get close. Pay attention to your surroundings. Don't antagonize people who are already agitated. The Colorado shooting is an example of why it's a good idea to carry. No amount I smarts would get people out of that. That's a situation of shoot or be shot! It's becoming more prevalent in "safe" areas too.

#14,817 ·
Dr. Marneaus said:
I used to have to go to seigel suites and the like at my old job all the time, and measure the entire properties. A few of them took 2 or 3 days being there from 9-5.

I got hassled a lot there, by simply unsavory types as well as kids as well as crazy types, that was one of the reasons I started carrying.
And I bet you were just minding your own business just trying to get done so you could leave? There have been multiple grocery store shootings here in town. If you've lived here long enough to remember food for less at sahara an valley view? Dude with a shotgun just killing people "cobra" style! It happens!

#14,818 ·
Just a few years ago a man was stabbed in the Walmart at boulder and nellis over a parking spot. I personally witnessed a shooting at the gas station at lamb and boulder. That cop was murdered in his garage while working on stuff. The list goes on and on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.