Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 734 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #10996
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Do any local shops do suspension inspections? I'm sure all shops would charge for an inspection, but are there any you would trust to catch pending issues?
Adam's driveline. They're the most knowledgable local shop I've been around. Second choice would possibly be backcountry offroad. I'm not sure if the shop next door is part of their show room but if so I bet they're just as jeep savvy as the guys at Adams.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #10997
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
I don't understand how someone that is so broke with cash drives a jeep that probably gets 15mpg at most at $4 a gallon.
Because there aren't many vehicles that I like that can get me to the destinations I enjoy. Civic's, while great on gas, are terrible off road.

Gas isn't even the issue. I don't think I ever mentioned the cost of gas. What is making me consider something else is my headaches are getting worse. I want something a little quieter. If sound deadener in my TJ would help considerably, I'd go that route. While it may help, it wouldn't help enough. Sound wasn't considered much when designing the TJ.

While I would prefer not to, I'm ok paying $4 a gallon. The cost of gas isn't even weighing in this decision, but when I bought it, gas was less than $2.20 a gallon. It's not my Jeep's fault gas costs so much these days.
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #10998
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny

I'm afraid something has already happened under there. Not sure what it is, but something just feels different. Not even something specific like a noise, click or vibration. It's just a feeling.

Do any local shops do suspension inspections? I'm sure all shops would charge for an inspection, but are there any you would trust to catch pending issues?
Just get you an FJ already! We won't like you any less then we already do! Haha
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #10999
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Typically though when a shock overheats it will fade meaning it will start acting almost like you've got no shock. I will never forget the first time I experienced that. It was amazing how the truck went from normal to like no shocks at all in a matter of seconds. Then we just slowed down and all of a sudden it came back and started working again. Wash board will heat up a shock for sure cause it's a high speed damping control which is where heat builds quickly. Wash board will also lead to all sorts of neat stuff falling off your jeep, possibly developing stress cracks in suspension parts and also excessive wear on tie rods and ball joints. That stuff can be brutal! Low tire pressure is the savior for it IMO.

Bilstein is great! I've never been disappointed by them in any vehicle I've ran. I've said it before I'd do them on my jeep when the time comes to replace my white rockets that are on it now. OME supposedly are pretty amazing too but I have no experience at all with those...

Garza hands down is building the fastest jeep at least in the las vegas thread. It'll be fun I think to have him out on some of our faster truck runs once his is dialed in and ready for sure!

The Bilsteins are a great shock...but tend to be on the stiff side (which I actually prefer.) My 1st set of shocks on my Jeep were OME and are complete opposite IMO than the Bilsteins. They rode good on the street, but I blew out 2 fronts and 1 rear in one summer when I hit the rough stuff.

I'm sure after I re-learn my Jeep again with some seat time, and some shock tuning sessions, the only thing holding back it's capability will be the driver . I think we may go with some Fox 2.5"s after some discussion and my expectations. A few key differences (than the full blown race Jeep) in my build will be motor, gearing, and overall weight. I did not want a stroker or full engine swap right now I chose simplicity and reliability. As far as gearing, I'm sticking with 37"s and really should be using 5.38s with the new transmission, but going to use the 5.13s for now. I will be addressing some areas of weight, but I wanted to keep it a street-able rig that can still throw the top and doors on and cruise down the highway.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #11000
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Hey YSB I might trade you I I ever get the zj back on the road. I've been considering selling it to get a tj. It doesn't look like I'll be doing anything other then staring at a pulled motor until we get a house.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #11001
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Another successful duracoating mission!

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #11002
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post
I wouldn't mind getting an FJ. That was on my short list, but the timing was better for the TJ. I was renting a car until I found something I wanted. I was checking ads almost every hour looking for something I liked. If an ad for a FJ I liked popped up, there could be one parked in my garage now.

I was recently looking at Commander's. They went out of production, so the prices have come down. They look nice lifted and are confident offroad.
33389840006_large.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #11003
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Another successful duracoating mission!
How are you painting that? Stencil or hours of taping?
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #11004
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
Hey YSB I might trade you I I ever get the zj back on the road. I've been considering selling it to get a tj. It doesn't look like I'll be doing anything other then staring at a pulled motor until we get a house.
Possibly. Remind me when you get it running again.
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #11005
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I wouldn't mind getting an FJ. That was on my short list, but the timing was better for the TJ. I was renting a car until I found something I wanted. I was checking ads almost every hour looking for something I liked. If an ad for a FJ I liked popped up, there could be one parked in my garage now.

I was recently looking at Commander's. They went out of production, so the prices have come down. They look nice lifted and are confident offroad.
That is honestly the best looking Commander I've ever seen.
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #11006
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Isn't it? I think they use the same lifts as newer Cherokee's. That's a 4" lift with 33's. Other than custom, like those, there aren't many bumper options.
33389840003_large.jpg   33389840015_large.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #11007
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's actually a pretty sexy looking rig!!!!
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #11008
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not too bad of a deal, especially if you habla espanol! haha

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/3013859302.html
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #11009
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG

We like our FJ.. well, by we, I mean mostly my wife since its hers, but I like it when she lets me drive it
image-4104538959.jpg  
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #11010
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
We like our FJ.. well, by we, I mean mostly my wife since its hers, but I like it when she lets me drive it
Your man-card is hereby revoked for flagrant displays of estrogen.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.