Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 733 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #10981
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I'm not on washboard that often. Once I find a washboard road, I usually never return. Trout Canyon and Hidden Forrest are off my list for that reason.

Most of the trails I enjoy and fairly smooth. When my shock piston snapped I was going about walking speed on a level trail. When the rubber bushing crumbled I was on pavement. I think I just got a bad batch and they shouldn't use rubber bushings.

I love my Jeep even though it has a 2.5. Anyone following me on a trail can't tell. What is making me consider other options is comfort. Mostly sound levels. Not sure what the plan is. In the end, cost will probably keep me in my Jeep. It was just a thought.

Unread 05-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #10982
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I'm not on washboard that often. Once I find a washboard road, I usually never return. Trout Canyon and Hidden Forrest are off my list for that reason.

Most of the trails I enjoy and fairly smooth. When my shock piston snapped I was going about walking speed on a level trail. When the rubber bushing crumbled I was on pavement. I think I just got a bad batch and they shouldn't use rubber bushings.

I love my Jeep even though it has a 2.5. Anyone following me on a trail can't tell. What is making me consider other options is comfort. Mostly sound levels. Not sure what the plan is. In the end, cost will probably keep me in my Jeep. It was just a thought.
I hear the Kia's and Rav 4's are quiet.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #10983
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I'm gonna lift a Kia.

Damn it, it's hot out here!
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #10984
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Was actually thinking of selling the Jeep and getting something else anyway.
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #10985
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Paid 289 for my Bilsteins through Kolak here on JF they're great so far! Haven't been on a washboard road yet though......... put them on 3 weeks ago
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #10986
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
Paid 289 for my Bilsteins through Kolak here on JF they're great so far! Haven't been on a washboard road yet though......... put them on 3 weeks ago
The wife enjoys offroading a lot more now the Bilsteins are on ... I was on the Alamo Road a few weekends ago and the difference was substantial.
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #10987
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm gonna lift a Kia.

Damn it, it's hot out here!
You should try to get into a JK. Much more comfortable than the previous generation Wranglers and more capable out of the box ...
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #10988
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw

more capable out of the box ...
I beg to disagree my friend! Ive been places with my tj in stock form that a jku had difficulty with
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #10989
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
I beg to disagree my friend! Ive been places with my tj in stock form that a jku had difficulty with
Sometimes its the driver ... I grew up driving jeeps, and my (largely unmodified) JK is better than any other I've had.
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #10990
sirhk100

Typically though when a shock overheats it will fade meaning it will start acting almost like you've got no shock. I will never forget the first time I experienced that. It was amazing how the truck went from normal to like no shocks at all in a matter of seconds. Then we just slowed down and all of a sudden it came back and started working again. Wash board will heat up a shock for sure cause it's a high speed damping control which is where heat builds quickly. Wash board will also lead to all sorts of neat stuff falling off your jeep, possibly developing stress cracks in suspension parts and also excessive wear on tie rods and ball joints. That stuff can be brutal! Low tire pressure is the savior for it IMO.

Bilstein is great! I've never been disappointed by them in any vehicle I've ran. I've said it before I'd do them on my jeep when the time comes to replace my white rockets that are on it now. OME supposedly are pretty amazing too but I have no experience at all with those...

Garza hands down is building the fastest jeep at least in the las vegas thread. It'll be fun I think to have him out on some of our faster truck runs once his is dialed in and ready for sure!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #10991
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

On the topic of shocks; I really like my DT8000s. Very comfy on the road. Havent done any trail yet. They are a pre-runner shock.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #10992
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
You should try to get into a JK. Much more comfortable than the previous generation Wranglers and more capable out of the box ...
I'd love to, but my Jeep is paid in full. Taking on another vehicle payment isn't possible.

More capable than a TJ though. Definitely more comfortable. I would think there are less things to break on a TJ. Maybe they are better off the lot. I wouldn't know. I've only owned TJ's.
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #10993
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Wash board will also lead to all sorts of neat stuff falling off your jeep, possibly developing stress cracks in suspension parts and also excessive wear on tie rods and ball joints.
I'm afraid something has already happened under there. Not sure what it is, but something just feels different. Not even something specific like a noise, click or vibration. It's just a feeling.

Do any local shops do suspension inspections? I'm sure all shops would charge for an inspection, but are there any you would trust to catch pending issues?
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #10994
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Damn. I was just kidding about lifting a Kia. People really lift these things?

Kia Sportage.
kiacover.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #10995
sirhk100

I don't understand how someone that is so broke with cash drives a jeep that probably gets 15mpg at most at $4 a gallon. I'd think you'd be looking at like Honda civics and things that are getting twice the mileage of the jeep. Heck, I'm selling my Mazda cause it only gets 27ish mpg around town. It's probably going to get replaced with a VW TDI manual and I'm pretty confident I can squeeze high 40's outta that with my grandpa driving style on the streets. My biggest monthly outta pocket bill right now goes to gas. It's more then I pay for my houses after collecting rents... I'm trying to cut that bill down substantially.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.