Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#14,121 ·
Did you see this on CL Andrew? Not sure if it's a good deal, but they're 44s

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/3109719898.html

Or these with a little custom work
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/3163334622.html
Those were the ones i had mentioned earlier. i dunno if i like the look of them. $350 is a bit high, and loo at the pics, the front looks to have been SOA'd as it has ghetto looking perches welded on, and the back had the perches moved inboard. nothing a few minutes with a grinder couldnt fix, but still...that means somebodys been monkeying around with them.

#14,122 ·
Welcome to the thread...I've seen you before somewhere, but I just can't pin point where.... :laugh: hope to see you out here some time! Once it cools off a bit, I'll be trying to get out a bit more and would like to put a face to the name!
don't give in to his kind charade.......Vin is not to be trusted.

#14,123 ·
LOL, I'm mostly giving you crap in good fun but damn you're a picky axle buyer!!! Are you expecting to find brand new off the shelf axles in someone's garage for like $23 and a 6 pack of coors or what?

We paid a decent chunk of money for this paper weight with a bajillion un-needed brackets on it.

That took figgen who knows how many umpteen hours of my labor to cut off and smooth out to get to this stage where I can start fitting the truss to go on it.

That's why I'm laughing and giving you crap... You're buying used axles, what are you expecting?

I bought this bastard for my truck years ago, fresh oxy/acy torch markings and all. I paid substantially more then you're looking at taking a chance that it was in good usable shape. It worked out just fine and I picked up about $2500 worth of axle for about half the cost.

#14,124 ·
We paid a decent chunk of money for this paper weight with a bajillion un-needed brackets on it.
Public school math, I only counted half a trillion. :pout:

#14,125 ·
Side story cause nobody cares... That currie axle with all the brackets I posted above that I cut it all off of was out of this FJ.

Sweet ride right... Well the guy that built that thing up like that and dumped a crap ton of money into it sold it for like $40K a few years back. The new owner took it immediately to the shop and completely cut it up! Pulled the front and rear suspension for fully custom hand made one off built stuff which is how we got the axle, he's swapped it out for a hand fabbed massive housing. He pulled the motor and is swapping in a LS V8. Rear floor is completely cut out and the rear frame is completely cut off and they're doing almost a full tube chassis back half on it with true linked suspension.

It's seriously a case of someone having way too much money. He could've started with a cheap stock rig and had the same end result for probably $25K less but instead bought this beast and pretty much tossed everything cool on it in the trash and started over! Insane yo!

#14,129 ·
Crap I feel good today. I don't know what it is but I'm just really happy today. I'm either going to die or be horribly maimed today but right now I'm good.
I have been having a crap day. Got up and by the time I got to work, I had 5 missed calls on my cell. I called back only to find out that a friend of mine committed suicide this morning. He hadn't really been the same since his second trip to the sandbox a few years ago. Before he was always quick to a smile, always laughing. When he came back he was a completely different person. Weird thing is that I am more pissed off at him than I am saddened.

#14,130 ·
andy02 said:
I have been having a crap day. Got up and by the time I got to work, I had 5 missed calls on my cell. I called back only to find out that a friend of mine committed suicide this morning. He hadn't really been the same since his second trip to the sandbox a few years ago. Before he was always quick to a smile, always laughing. When he came back he was a completely different person. Weird thing is that I am more pissed off at him than I am saddened.
Sorry to hear man. I've had 2 friends kill themselves this year and I felt the same, mad not sad. Neither were military, but you never really know what people are dealing with inside.

I hope that your day gets better in some small way.

#14,131 ·
I'm very sorry for your loss. I know what you mean when you say you're more angry than saddened, suicide is difficult to deal with. Its a really strange emotion, alot different than losing somebody because of an accident or illness or something.

One of my best friends committed suicide last year, and another good friend has attempted several times over the years. Almost exactly a year ago actually, it was very difficult for alot of us. I was out with him the night it happened, we made plans for the next weekend and everything.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the loss, if you need/want to talk about it, let me know.

#14,132 ·
Crap I feel good today. I don't know what it is but I'm just really happy today. I'm either going to die or be horribly maimed today but right now I'm good.
dont chop your finger with an axe, that'll put a damper on the day.

#14,133 ·
Andy, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. As marn offered, any of us can lend an ear an some brews. if you need us, we're here!
I will keep my suicide opinions to myself so as to not offend anyone. It's a tragic loss either way. Our military leaders need to step up and help.

#14,134 ·
LOL, I'm mostly giving you crap in good fun but damn you're a picky axle buyer!!! Are you expecting to find brand new off the shelf axles in someone's garage for like $23 and a 6 pack of coors or what?
hasha, I know where you're coming from, but lets look at it this way:

The exact item I want is out there, it was a factory option, so there should be PLENTY of them sitting around in the exact configuration I want.

Why pay more for something that isnt exact, or requires more work?

The first set I had lined up in tucson was $100 for the axles and a set of rims. That was supposed to be the exact item I wanted, with steering and u-bolt plates and everything.

The set i just posted requires me to grind a bunch of brackets off and is missing the plates and is in unknown condition.

The second set i have dibs on are outisde of LA. Again, exactly what I want, they're under a 74 waggy, and the price is "just give me whatever you feel like" though they dont come with wheels.

Those, however, we are unsure of the ratio as well. She's going to check for me this weekend and I will be able to get them in a month or two when she moves.

People say 'regear' or even get the ones above and remove the brackets. I just figure, why do extra work for more money when what i want already exists, just a lil more searching and waiting is all. I'd rather wait for the exact item at a deal than just buy something different, or over pay ya know?

P.S. that FJ is freaking amazing.

#14,135 ·
Andy, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. As marn offered, any of us can lend an ear an some brews. if you need us, we're here!
I will keep my suicide opinions to myself so as to not offend anyone. It's a tragic loss either way. Our military leaders need to step up and help.
woah woah woah woah OI didn't say anyhting about sharing my beer! Or my beer money!

Haha, just kidddinggggggggg. I'll take any excuse to down a brew.

#14,136 ·
I will keep my suicide opinions to myself so as to not offend anyone. Our military leaders need to step up and help.
I would actually like to hear your opinion, I have a couple of my own.

There was nothing military leaders could have done. My buddy got out of the military at the end of his enlistment about a year and a half ago. He was working for an auto body repair shop in TX. He was just never really the same after his second tour over there. I haven't called his widow yet. I just don't know what I would say to her.

#14,137 ·
andy02 said:
I would actually like to hear your opinion, I have a couple of my own.

There was nothing military leaders could have done. My buddy got out of the military at the end of his enlistment about a year and a half ago. He was working for an auto body repair shop in TX. He was just never really the same after his second tour over there. I haven't called his widow yet. I just don't know what I would say to her.
One of my friends had just finished gunsmithing school and had just moved back and had set up a little shop. He was living with his parents and left them a note and shot himself in the driveway. His parents found him when they got home from church. He said he had been "sick" for a long time and couldn't do it anymore. I went to see his parents that evening and there really wasn't anything to say. I think just showing my support was more of a help then anything I said.

#14,138 ·
See, me personally... $100 and driving to tucson vs. $300 and a little bit of work local. I'm going $300 and a little bit of work but that's just me. Round trip gas to tucson in a truck would've been $100 minimum plus an entire day and didn't you say you were having to rent a truck too? How were those $100 axles really going to be any cheaper all said and done? Extra $100, 30 minutes in grinding and the axles are probably installed that same day without loosing a complete day of your life on an epicly boring drive. LOL That's if they were the same gearing. I'm a bit lost on which ones were geared with what and which gears you want. Hell, swing by my house with those and I'll cut the damn perches off for you, I'm pretty quick at that kinda stuff, just cover the cut off wheels and a 12 pack of mtn dew. LOL

Do you know the person in Tucson or La with the axles? If not, then you don't know the true condition of those axles either. I'm selling my jeep and my car. I would sell my jeep to any one of you on here, I wouldn't sell my car to anyone on here but when someone comes to look at it, you can damn well bet I'm saying it's in great condition! Sold as is... LOL

Like I said, I'm just playing a-hole devil's advocate... Have you looked at that one that's in the pic-a-part on boulder by chance? I "might" be in there this weekend, is there a way to ID exactly what you're looking for?

#14,139 ·
ksturgio said:
One of my friends had just finished gunsmithing school and had just moved back and had set up a little shop. He was living with his parents and left them a note and shot himself in the driveway. His parents found him when they got home from church. He said he had been "sick" for a long time and couldn't do it anymore. I went to see his parents that evening and there really wasn't anything to say. I think just showing my support was more of a help then anything I said.
Did his parent live on the easy side at lamb and charleston? This a few years back? May have been my neighbor!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.