Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#13,761 ·
Powrjunkey said:
So the vast majority of the ones you've met in here are that way also? I see!
People who own old muscle cars get poor gas mileage too, but I bet every one of them would do whatever they could to improve their mileage as long as they don't realize any power losses. Same with jeeps! If you have to feather the gas pedal a little to get 17 instead of 15, isn't it worth it? That works out to an extra 30 or so miles of added range!
Ps your so John Wayne manly! Lol
I wasn't taking about you Powr, hence the 2007 and newer comment. I just do not get even the discussion of fuel efficiency with Jeeps. If you want FE get a Prius, TDI, heck get a leaf. Just drive your Jeep, when it needs gas fill it up and carry on, if you cannot afford it find a new vehicle/hobby. Maybe try picking your nose that is pretty affordable or maybe sit on your thumb, it's cheap and you'll probably like the way it feels. Haha

Powr, Man up or I'm gonna save you in my phone as Elton! Haha

#13,762 ·
IMO the new jeeps (2007 and newer) has brought on a new breed of jeep owner that are a bit concerned with the wrong things (leather, seat warmers, power everything, fuel efficiency, etc.) and do not know what it's like to truly drive a Jeep. Jeeps are meant to be rugged, meant to make a man be a man, not turn him into the next Elton John! Haha. With that said this does not pertain to every newer Jeep owner but from who I've met it seems to represent the vast majority!
I bought my Jeep from one of these types. Who goes and buys a Rubicon and then never leaves the pavement? When I was negotiating with this guy I crawled around underneath it and couldn't find a scratch on the frame or the skids. He thought the Rubicon stickers looked tough and wanted the locking diffs in case of snow. (Being in southern Utah, he never actually used them.) I almost thought he had swapped them all out to hide whatever offroading he had done. So what if lots of nancy-boys are buying JK's? Lots of good used ones, and lots of people working in Dayton to build them and it doesn't look like Chrysler will be dropping it anytime soon. All good in my book.

#13,766 ·
MMCKEIG said:
You own a jeep, gas mileage should not be a thought, of course it's gonna suck. Andy is not the first one to talk about gas mileage, but I do not even understand why it is ever part of a conversation as a jeep owner. Unless you're like "yes, I got almost 15mpg going down hill with a tailwind on my way home from the trail." Heck ask Khris about the time he got 60 miles to the tank! Haha

IMO the new jeeps (2007 and newer) has brought on a new breed of jeep owner that are a bit concerned with the wrong things (leather, seat warmers, power everything, fuel efficiency, etc.) and do not know what it's like to truly drive a Jeep. Jeeps are meant to be rugged, meant to make a man be a man, not turn him into the next Elton John! Haha. With that said this does not pertain to every newer Jeep owner but from who I've met it seems to represent the vast majority!
While I see where you are coming from, I completely disagree (about why anyone even talks about gas mileage). Just because Jeeps get crappy mileage doesnt mean that you should employ driving habits that will make it worse. Thats like saying I live in a valley that has smog, I choose to live here, so I might as well start smoking too. I 100% agree about the complaining about crappy mileage though, they should have bought a prius if they were that concerned. IMO there is nothing wrong with doing what you can to get a few extra MPG out of your rig though, saves a few bucks for more jeep parts :)

#13,767 ·
The funniest part about the whole gas mileage thing is people always think they are going to get the highway number on the sticker. The numbers on the window sticker are averages, so when you see 19 mpg highway, it is an average. The fine print under it will say something like 15-23 mpg obtained during testing. For a jeep it is even worse. Just think about it this way. That number was calculated based on averages across the country and with different models. So they might have had a sport with road tires and 3.21 gears in Florida getting great mileage. You are not going to get the same mileage out here with all of the altitude changes, esp if you are driving a rubi with 4.10 gears.

True story, the wife really wanted a 4 runner so we went to centennial toyota. The sales man tried to tell us that the 4 runner got great mileage, he then proceeded to use the high numbers from the highway mpg average. I started laughing and told him that those numbers were based off of driving in Alabama, the the low numbers are actual realistic numbers for our region because of the altitude, traffic, and hills. He just looked at me with a blank stare until I told him if he was going to feed me bs I could do the same right back. I then walked out and never came back.

Gas mileage was not a major consideration when I bought the jeep. Heck I would not mind the new pentastar engine with the additional 2-3 mpg and 80hp. But I went with a 2011 because the engine was already proven for the most part. Now just look at all of the people that have their 2012's parked waiting on backordered replacement heads.

#13,768 ·
Your truck won't loose but your body will. All of the force is not going to be absorbed my the crumple zones, it will be absorbed into your body.
It's funny, we hear people tell us this all the time yet then talk to endless racers that have wrecked way way way harder then any typical road accident and there's no way they'd want a crumple zone in their car. Not to mention the rear of my truck never had a true crumple zone and the front was a very minimal area. I'll take my chances and out of all 4 vehicles in my drive way hope that if I'm in a bad wreck ever that it's in my truck and not my jeep or car that's for sure! The expo is big enough that it might not be too nasty either.

Huseman (RIP) walked away from the wreck at 0:25 into this video just dazed and actually raced the next day. Same with the one at 0:57.

#13,769 ·
I had a co-worker ask me why I drove so slowly on 95 up to the Springs. I explained that after I get up above 65, my gas mileage goes into the crapper. She said "yeah but it takes so long going that slow.". Then I did some simple math for her and showed her that when we got off 95 at Durango, I am probably the next light after her. Today on the way home, she was sitting behind me doing 65 just like I was. :laugh
I do it partially for gas mileage reasons but mostly cause I'm not in a Porsche or a ferrari. No car I own is fast so why drive like it is. Instead I just turn the radio up and get where I need to be. It's amazing when you leave on time for your schedule cause you don't have to drive like a dick to get somewhere. LOL The gas pedal in the explorer that I've had for about a month now still has never actually seen the floor a single time. No reason to, it's a fricken explorer on 35's. How fast do you really think it's gonna go??? LOL

#13,772 ·
Hey Garza, cut holes in the floor boards on the truck last night. Gonna get the a-pillars finished up tonight which should set me up for some really good progress this weekend and then I'm hoping to make the biggest hole I've ever made in a truck to date next weekend which involves cutting the entire roof right off of it! LOL Hoping it'll go back as easy as it looks... Just gotta remember the thickness of the saw blade when setting it back on so that all the glass lines back up if he ever wants to run it.

#13,774 ·
you guys are comparing apples to oranges here. Don't forget when you wreck a race truck you are more than likely sporting a 5 point harness, helmet, and neck brace. When you get in a wreck in a car you are only wearing a 3 point harness, if even that. Most car seatbelts are half as thick as the 5 point harnesses, so the body weight from your impact will not be as distributed as well as the 5 point harness. Most race trucks are not sporting all of the crap that people carry with them on a daily basis either so it is not like you will be getting hit in the head with a can of beans you just picked up from the store.

The worst thing for any accident is if you see it coming. Your body stiffens up and that is when bones get broken, this is why most drunks walk away from accidents... the are loose. I could not imagine clinching on the steering wheel and trying to use my wrist to support all of my body weight and the momentum from the accident. Only to have your clinched wrist blown outward by an air bag.

I would take a hit in a well built race car/truck with all of my safety gear on over a daily driver any day. But how often are you sporting around town with all of your gear on and wearing a 5 point harness?

#13,775 ·
B0nez said:
While I see where you are coming from, I completely disagree (about why anyone even talks about gas mileage). Just because Jeeps get crappy mileage doesnt mean that you should employ driving habits that will make it worse. Thats like saying I live in a valley that has smog, I choose to live here, so I might as well start smoking too. I 100% agree about the complaining about crappy mileage though, they should have bought a prius if they were that concerned. IMO there is nothing wrong with doing what you can to get a few extra MPG out of your rig though, saves a few bucks for more jeep parts :)
I never said drive like crazy. I just said if you own a jeep your least concern should be mpg. Chad you're putting topics into my previous statements that I did not even mention. I never said anything about driving style.

#13,776 ·
sweet, I just called dishnetwork to complain about them dropping AMC... they dropped my bill by $10 a month for a year and gave me showtime free for 6 months. They said the $10 was to cover an amazon or itunes account if I want to watch the AMC programming on there.

#13,777 ·
Why would I need a crumple zone? That's what the other dude's car is for!
This is possibly the best post I've seen on this forum in ages!!!!

Around town I just wear my stock belts, long trips I actually do put on my 5 points when I'm in my truck. It's actually more comfy with the 5 points on but getting in and out is a bit more inconvenient.

Even with just the stock belts though, I'd still 110% prefer to get in a wreck in my truck over my car any day of the week! My only concern on the street in the truck is that I'm not wearing a helmet and those tubes could hurt. But in a rear end or frontal impact I'm not super concerned. Side hit or roll, head to the tubes without the helmet would not be good.

On a side note, my drunken crazy bike terror roomie posted these pics yesterday. I guess it's her 5th friend to go down in the last 4 weeks. Other's injuries have involved broken wrists and ankles along with steak skin like the picture here. Kinda graphic if you click and there's man *** shown... You've been warned...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/541498_3880107013249_726340644_n.jpg

#13,778 ·
sirhk100 said:
This is possibly the best post I've seen on this forum in ages!!!!

Around town I just wear my stock belts, long trips I actually do put on my 5 points when I'm in my truck. It's actually more comfy with the 5 points on but getting in and out is a bit more inconvenient.

Even with just the stock belts though, I'd still 110% prefer to get in a wreck in my truck over my car any day of the week! My only concern on the street in the truck is that I'm not wearing a helmet and those tubes could hurt. But in a rear end or frontal impact I'm not super concerned. Side hit or roll, head to the tubes without the helmet would not be good.

On a side note, my drunken crazy bike terror roomie posted these pics yesterday. I guess it's her 5th friend to go down in the last 4 weeks. Other's injuries have involved broken wrists and ankles along with steak skin like the picture here. Kinda graphic if you click and there's man *** shown... You've been warned...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/541498_3880107013249_726340644_n.jpg
My brother was hit on his bike in 2002 by a a guy in a work truck who was towing a trailer. It was on SB 95 near the down town exits. He was in the fast lane going just over the speed limit. The truck didn't have functioning tail lights or trailer lights and changed lanes with no signal. He was hit by the front of the trailer (which didn't knock him down) but he slowed and had one of the trailer tires catch his leg and ripped him from his bike onto the freeway. He wasn't killed but he was pretty jacked up. He was wearing a tank top, board shorts and flip flops on his way to a BBQ. He ended up with 2 compound fractures (legs) road rash all over, and his knee exploded on impact. He ended up with a few weeks in the hospital to have his knee replaced and surgery on both legs. His bike came out with broken plastics and lost a foot peg. He sold it as soon as he could and has never ridden on road again.

#13,779 ·
You won't ever catch me on the street more then doing a lap around my block on someone's bike... Screw that hobby!

She rides with a group that frequently is running 3 digit speeds on the highway and city streets. They ride in large numbers and figure the cops can't do much when a pack of 30 bikes goes by at 140mph on the freeway. I've seen helmet cam of them running 120 down flamingo...

#13,780 ·
I don't trust these people when I am in a car. I could not imagine doing it on a bike. On the way back from the airport on Monday morning I was on 15 northbound and had a guy cut over to 95 at the last minute. He almost rear ended an 18 wheeler and side swiped me. I got over one lane and he almost side swiped me again. I am really thinking that I need an airhorn for the Jeep. If the kids were not in the Jeep I would have just let him hit me. I guarantee that the person was drunk, it would not have upset me one bit if he would have rolled off the over pass when I hit him.

I wonder if I put on a bumper sticker that stated "Not responsible for broken windshields - Please stay back 200 ft" if it would be ok to keep a few rocks in the Jeep for tailgaters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.