Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 67 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 09-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #991
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No problem rabbit, I enjoy healthy argument such as this on, it allows people to voice opinions and is truly American. I know I'm probably not correctly composing myself, and some people may think I'm either a nut, paranoid, stupid, or just plain irrelevant. I like to believe I'm none of those, but who knows. It's really difficult or maybe impossible to predict how you may react in a panic situation, but if one is responsible and has a level head under normal situations, then they will likely make the best decision when panic arises. Thank you for intelligently debating this issue with me. Same to the lawyer. I welcome the debate because we are doing it as adults and not insulting each other in the process.

Unread 09-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #992
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also, there is a difference between seeing an animal and seeing an animal running directly at you while growling and barking. Chances are that the two dogs would have sniffed each other to death, and been ok, but I didn't want it to go wrong if they didn't. Perhaps I over reacted, but given my remote location, no people in sight, unknown dog intentions, and resources at my disposal, I felt confident. I know there is no way I was going to outrun the dog, and running just triggers their "chase it" instinct.
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #993
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Ok. If there was a charging bear at 50 yards, carrying a sword, while wearing known gang colors, and yelling in clear English "I'm going to stab, bite and eat you!", I would still hold my fire until it was closer.

I just can't get over that distance. Half a football field is a long way. Ask my team the Jacksonville, Jaguars. Traditionally, they can't seem to get past that 50 yard line. Good thing someone isn't firing warning shots at them.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #994
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lol there's gonna be a pissed off bear because my 45 will just piss it off. 50 yds sounds far, but think about teenagers running it in 5-6 seconds. I ran the 40 in 5.5 and I'm by no stretch of the imagination an athlete. They can close the gap quickly. It's roughly 10 car lengths which is pretty close. 100 yds, you have more options. Think about a mountain lion, it could merely jump the 40yds. A dog is no mtn lion. Rofl
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #995
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

No hard feelings, and none intended. Mostly, just wanted to make it clear that anytime you pull the trigger you are risking jail time or worse, so just make sure it's worth it. I've got a pet peeve where people oversimplify what is a big deal, and perhaps I over reached on it. (Now back to wheelin'!)
davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #996
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great discussion! If you guys are local and interested, I would love to meet up with you guys for a trail run sometime. There are many places I want to explore. My email is groundrulesjc@hotmail.com, chris
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #997
needmesome2
1997 ZJ 

This is why I love this forum two pages of nothing to do with jeeps or wheeling lol. but yes I to think we need to get a nice EZ run set up maybe a BBQ or over night
Unread 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #998
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Davidsonlaw... Is there a tutorial for idiots on what a .kml file is and how to view it? So far it looks like it's a file that's looked at on google earth possibly from what I'm reading searching around? I saw a few pages back pre-selfdefense talk that you discussed a conversion to get it on a garmin gps. Is that something that converts to a .gpx file or what? I've got a Lowrance hand held unit that I'd like to load some of your trails on for future reference on a bored sat or weekday afternoon. I'm new to this whole GPS scene though!

And totally off topic but I got a hyline offroad hood vent setup today that I'm sort of excited to try out. I've been having major heat related issues this summer with my TJ where if I don't park with my hood propped open it won't refire and it actually vacuum locks at the fuel rail. I'm hoping this helps vent the underhood heat! LOL you know, now that summer is virtually behind us!

Thanks,
Khris
DRAKEOFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #999
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you have google earth installed on you computer, you should be able to view the file by double clicking on it where ever you have it saved. If you don't have it, you can download it and install it for free from:

http://www.google.com/earth/index.html

Frankly, this is a really cool tool for checking out routes ahead of time.

I'm not familiar with lowrance, but if it will accept .gpx, the website I referenced above will convert it with no problem.
davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #1000
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the Lowrance for sure accepts .gpx files. Thanks for the info... I don't have google earth downloaded but I will now. LOL I really should upgrade my home computer so I don't have to screw around at work during breaks with this kind of stuff!
DRAKEOFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #1001
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Google Earth is a great tool and makes it easier for us to trade trail locations. When someone posts coordinates, you can enter them into Google Earth first for a good look before entering the data into your GPS. I usually print a wide shot of the entire trail system I'll be traveling that day. Quick reference is easier than having to go wide on the GPS.

Also, have a look at this topo map for your GPS:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/86/

The data for this map was collected from several different sources. Together, they form the most complete topo map I've found to date. It's also free to download and use without limitations. I paid around $100 for the Garmin topo map and the free one posted above showed more trails and with greater detail.

I have pictures and coordinates from todays trail. Will post them up shortly.
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #1002
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAKEOFFROAD View Post
Is there a tutorial for idiots on what a .kml file is and how to view it?
As Davidsonlaw explain, it is a file viewable on Google Earth. Here is a beginner tutorial that should cover some of the basics:
http://www.google.com/earth/learn/beginner.html

Last edited by YouStupidBunny; 09-06-2011 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Forgot to include link.
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #1003
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Started a thread called members helping members. It's purpose is to connect people to others that can help them repair, maintain, or upgrade their jeeps. Some people may not have the knowledge, tools, or help they need to do work on their own jeeps. It is sort of a pay it forward idea that can help everyone learn how to do things themselves and save money.
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #1004
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

You're advertising for another thread in this thread about Vegas trails? Seriously? Nice thing you're trying to do, but...wow.
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #1005
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

For those who like to follow along on Google Earth, I'll be including coordinates with this picture essay.

We started the day at the Cottonwood trail:
3559'50.59"N , 11526'48.39"W

For those new to Google Earth, start the program and enter the coordinates into the Search/Fly to section at the top left.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.