Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 65 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #961
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I came across this short trail on Google Earth: 35°56'42.54"N , 114°38'43.34"W

Does anyone know if it is for public use?

Also, if there a way to upload places from Google Earth to my Garmin GPS? I know it can be done from Google Maps.
I believe that the trail you're referring to is the Cranes Nest Road. It is open to the public and is a fun little drive that takes you a spot just less than a mile's hike from the Colorado River. The hike from the end of the road to the river is a lot of fun and goes through some interesting spots. You can find my GPS track of the road here:

http://davidson-law.net/blogs/jeepla...nes-nest-road/

davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #962
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Something I'd like to see in future updates is anything of interest along the trail. Things like abandoned mines and anything historical like petroglyphs. Just a few quick sentences of things to see long the way.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #963
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
I believe that the trail you're referring to is the Cranes Nest Road.
That looks like it. Good to be able to put a name to the trail. From the look of it on Google Earth, it looked like it goes right up to the river. I haven't been in the best of health lately and I don't think I'd be able to make it the rest of the hike to the river.
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #964
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Also, if there a way to upload places from Google Earth to my Garmin GPS? I know it can be done from Google Maps.
If you save something in google earth as a kml file, you can use the following link to convert it to a file that you should be able to upload to your garmin.

http://www.tracegps.com/en/gpsbabel/convert.htm
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #965
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
If you can't find something that you're looking for, shoot me a line.
I'll take you up on that. Here's one I've been wondering about:
36° 1'53.67"N , 115°21'4.01"W

It can be seen from parts of the Cottonwood Pass Trail. In another thread, I posted about an SUV we came across that went over the cliff. I'd be able to get a closer look at it from that valley below.

There is also something listed on my GPS topo map in that valley called Wilson Tank. The only references I was able to find on it online was for a bike run through the valley.
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #966
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I guess it would help if that previous post had a question in it. The Road heading into it is called Eagle Ranch Road which enters from Blue Diamond. Do you know if that is public access?
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #967
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll take you up on that. Here's one I've been wondering about:
36° 1'53.67"N , 115°21'4.01"W

It can be seen from parts of the Cottonwood Pass Trail. In another thread, I posted about an SUV we came across that went over the cliff. I'd be able to get a closer look at it from that valley below.

There is also something listed on my GPS topo map in that valley called Wilson Tank. The only references I was able to find on it online was for a bike run through the valley.
That's one I haven't done. Based on how straight it is in sections, I wonder if it's a pipeline road. Whatever it is, it's fairly recent as it's not listed on the USGS maps from a few decades ago. I may check it out. I have been planning on hitting some trails on and around Potosi in the near future. I haven't done much on the south side of the 160 yet.
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #968
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I think I may have seen power lines in that valley. Might just be a service access road. I may give the trail a try tomorrow, but from the Goodsprings side.

If you're in the area, here's a spot I could recommend:
35°57'10.49"N , 115°28'17.36"W

You may have already visited this area. It's the site of the Ninety Nine cabin which was used by miners. There are a few mines in the area in the ridgeline above that cabin. It's also very close to the Carol Lombard plane crash site.

Cottonwood Pass trailhead begins here:
35°59'50.59"N , 115°26'48.39"W
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #969
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I think I may have seen power lines in that valley. Might just be a service access road. I may give the trail a try tomorrow, but from the Goodsprings side.

If you're in the area, here's a spot I could recommend:
35°57'10.49"N , 115°28'17.36"W

You may have already visited this area. It's the site of the Ninety Nine cabin which was used by miners. There are a few mines in the area in the ridgeline above that cabin. It's also very close to the Carol Lombard plane crash site.

Cottonwood Pass trailhead begins here:
35°59'50.59"N , 115°26'48.39"W
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't hit Potosi yet, and that trail has been added to my to-do list.
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #970
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

People discussing legalities of firearm carry/use on federal lands.....if you have a ccw(concealed carry weapon) you can carry a loaded cambered firearm concealed ANYWHERE in Nevada providing it is not a courthouse, school, bank, or anywhere it is specifically posted no weapons or firearms. Nevada is an open carry state which means if you are a legal owner, you can carry a firearm so as it is not concealed. If you want it hidden, you must get ccw permit. North las Vegas and Henderson have ordinances against loaded carry, but state law supersedes city law.
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #971
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It is however illegal to discharge a firearm for hunting or target shooting unless it is designated as allowed. However, if you discharge in self defense(true self defense) it is legal. For example if you are attacked by a mountain lion and shoot it, no problem. If you just go out and shoot animals for the he'll of it, be prepared to not drop the soap and invest in lots of soap on a rope because you will go to prison for a while!
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #972
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
People discussing legalities of firearm carry/use on federal lands.....if you have a ccw(concealed carry weapon) you can carry a loaded cambered firearm concealed ANYWHERE in Nevada providing it is not a courthouse, school, bank, or anywhere it is specifically posted no weapons or firearms. Nevada is an open carry state which means if you are a legal owner, you can carry a firearm so as it is not concealed. If you want it hidden, you must get ccw permit. North las Vegas and Henderson have ordinances against loaded carry, but state law supersedes city law.
Somehow I think that if push came to shove, federal law enforcement would disagree ... as would the federal judges. As most of the state is federal territory, it's probably smart to see what federal law says on these things.
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #973
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you check the federal web site it explains that the firearm laws are covered under the state laws of the federal lands because state laws vary widely. Congress passed the bill allowing concealed carry on all federal lands if you have the permit the state in which you are in. No concealed carry anywhere in California for example, but everywhere in Nevada is ok. Also Nevada is an open carry state so you are covered there too.
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #974
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check this link for more info: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb...ns22-2010feb22
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #975
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

California has some really inconsistent laws on firearms, so be careful there, it's laws are very similar to those in Mexico. Very strict.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.