Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 643 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #9631
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Hey where does everyong get their steel here in town. Picking up a welder soon and need a whole lot of stuff for the new jeep!

Raptor0206 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #9632
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Curtis Steel off of Wynn
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #9633
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Who all is a for sure going on Sunday's lake trip? Anybody with a boat?
junky use the other thread that I started so we do not have to go through 50 pages to find the details
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #9634
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206
Hey where does everyong get their steel here in town. Picking up a welder soon and need a whole lot of stuff for the new jeep!
Highland Steel is good also
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #9635
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
I (unintentionally) touched a nerve there I guess. I am no fan of closures, and I go to a lot of those meetings too. It sometimes feels like an uphill battle, but there's hearts and minds that can and could be won if we just keep talking about it, and not just on the jeep board.
Forgot about various local offroad clubs like Jackrabbits MC and also have a life long membership with the AMA. We've been talking about it for decades... On forums, in land meetings, around the camp fire, etc. I remember my parents talking about it at the cabin when I was in jr. high and early in high school it became HUGE cause that's when S21 came up in california. A group in Az and I believe D37 out in California has actually hired lobbyist to walk the halls in DC on behalf of the offroaders yet that's nothing compared to the opposition. When I was in Az. I attended meetings in flagstaff regarding the coconino national forrest. They opened it up to the RAMP process where they took input from all groups to make a final official map. We had reps from Blue Ribbon there helping us on how to go about and deal with it. The outcome... Before the RAMP we had roughly 1100+ miles of trails in that forrest. After the RAMP they cut it down to about 50 miles. That's not a typo on those numbers!!! Do people still ride the illegal 1050 miles of trails? Yep, they just don't stop if they see a white vehicle with a shiny badge type thing on the side now. Basically dirt bikers up there have become outlaws with the signature of some gov. guy that's probably never been on a trail in his life.

BTW, did you know our local BLM officials opened up the RAMP (recreational area management plan, or something like that) for our southern nev area last year? I'm not sure if it's closed for comments at this point yet or not but if it's still open it's worth getting yours in and telling them which trails you use. I put in my 2 cents for the nelson hills area and the stateline stuff last year. At the meetings they actually had maps you would go up and draw in the trails you wanted added or kept in the trails system.

We have a local guy by the name of Mike Payne that has probably done more for the local offroaders then almost the entire rest of the group combined. He spends a lot of time in carson city and also has been to DC on his own dime on behalf of us. He supports mostly dirt biker rights and trails and land access but he's an offroader in general. If anyone ever meets or runs across that guy he deserves a major thank you for the effort he's put out. I don't know how he even holds a job with the amount of meetings he attends!

The only chance we have is for the jeep crowd to talk with the dirt bike crowd and talk with the quads and the buggies and the racers and the mtn bikers and the hunters and everyone band together and even at that point I truly would be shocked if an impact would be made. The problem though with that ever happening is the dirt bike guys hate the quads cause they make the trails too wide. The jeep guys hate the racers cause they drive to fast and make whoops. The racers hate the jeepers cause they drive too slow and are boring. The hunters hate us all cause we scare off their game yet they rely on our trails and the mtn bikers hate us all cause they're hippies yet their trails are in danger every bit as much as ours are. For some reason we aren't all offroaders when it comes to land access and until that changes all the talk in the world isn't going to help. There's been studies done on how much the offroad industry kicks into the economy and it's staggering. I'm sure it's more then the hiking boots and dried meals contribute but we don't have mega bucks behind us like they do.

Hit a nerve? Possibly, but I'm watching a 26 year hobby die more and more every day. That trail I talked about with the no motorized vehicles sign smack dab in the middle of it... That sign wasn't there a year ago yet talking to local riders that have been here MUCH longer then me that trail has been burned in for as long as they can remember.

I know driving on closed trails helps kill offroading but as far as I'm concerned I haven't seen any signs saying it's not already virtually dead and on it's way to the grave anyways so I'm enjoying what's out there for us to play on with or without permission cause I'm sure before I give up this hobby every trail I go play on will be illegal at one point.

at the bottom of this link there's a spot to click to open an article in a .pdf form. It's written from a dirt biker's perspective but it's an excellent read and pertains to anyone out there playing in the dirt! I encourage anyone that likes offroading to read it. Replace the word dirt bike with jeep if you want cause if you've got bit by the bug, the feeling is the same. I have it for many different aspects of playing in the dirt.

http://www.dirtrider.com/news/legal/141_1112_is_your_off_road_future_about_passion_or_ apathy/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206 View Post
What kind of welder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
Curtis Steel off of Wynn
Curtis steel here too... Anyone know anyplace that's actually open on Sat though? I think they used to be open for a few hours in the morning but I don't think they are anymore. Sucks having to take time off from work to get metal.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #9636
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Curtis Steele is family owned and operated by locals and opened in the 40's. Awesome people and I usually buy from them. I was surprised to find out that I am now related to the owners (by marriage). So now I always go to them first.
ksturgio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #9637
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^^Curtis steel has huge bins of scrap you can look through and find all kinds of stuff for pennies. All the steel for my front bumper and winch plate cost me $20.00.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #9638
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Awesome guys thanks alot. Im working on getting a hobart 187 or maybe a miller 180
Raptor0206 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #9639
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A perfect example of the closed road debate is the trail up the back of Frenchman mtn. Too many idiots got up there causing problems, dumping GTAs, trash, fires, etc. they have a huge gate blocking it now. I just drove around fences and gates, but the sign showing 100k fine scared the crap out of me.
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #9640
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
A perfect example of the closed road debate is the trail up the back of Frenchman mtn. Too many idiots got up there causing problems, dumping GTAs, trash, fires, etc. they have a huge gate blocking it now. I just drove around fences and gates, but the sign showing 100k fine scared the crap out of me.
And I bet 99.9% of the people dumping and partying aren't the trail users. They're just people that found that area as a good place to go do stupid crap without getting caught. So we're penalized because these idiots happen to own a truck and are willing to drive off the pavement with it. $100K fine for offroading yet what's the fine for littering? Sounds backwards to me. Really, you're going to take my home because I was driving down an existing dirt road??? Once again, what's the fine for DUI? How about running a red light? Both are absolutely proven massive contributors to peoples deaths yet god forbid we use an existing trail. LOL F-em! If any of you guys read that article I linked, it's obvious which side I fall on even though I still try to attend the meetings when I hear about them and have time.

I remember a huge push to close areas to dirt bikers for littering in san bernadino and up near big bear. They cited all the trash on the trail and in their examples and photo evidence there was a couch and a dresser. In discussion we all laughed and wished we could've asked the people arguing that we littered how exactly we transported that couch and dresser on our dirt bikes? Did it fit in our backpack? Did we tow it on our dirt bike trailer? Common sense? What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206 View Post
Awesome guys thanks alot. Im working on getting a hobart 187 or maybe a miller 180
Both great home hobbiest welders! You won't be disappointed!

Unread 04-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #9641
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

It was just the other day I saw these dudes on the trail.
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #9642
sirhk100

I'm pretty sure I saw that 2nd guy while I was in Taiwan a few months back but he was on scooter with a ladder and some scaffolding.

And jeeze time flies!!! I'm embarassed I got my dates so wrong. That RAMP or I guess here in Nev it's RMP (resource management planning) open comment period was actually back in 2010. Here's a link to the .pdf explaining what it's purpose was and the areas it covered. It was our chance to give input on OHV trials and use.

https://www.blm.gov/epl-front-office...cumentId=12450

Unread 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #9643
sirhk100

Looking thru old videos I have hosted on youtube... I thought this one was kinda funny. It's a toyota pickup I did some work on that didn't have the front shocks on it. All I'm doing is pushing it on the bumper to bounce it up and down. LOL, it's a good example of how important your shocks are! HAHAHA

Unread 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #9644
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Khris,

All this Land Use crap gives me a headache. I've donated to all the organizations Tread Lightly, Blue Ribbon Coalition, ect.., and was sending letters and donations for the Rubicon, Moab, and Johnson Valley over 12 years ago when I lived in TX. Thats even when I thought getting to ever wheel those places was just a dream. Now that I live here and probably as close as I ever will be to them, I'm ready to wheel them!! Pisses me off that in the already sh!tty economy we have, people want to take away our past-times and enjoying what nature has to offer.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #9645
sirhk100

I can at least say I've done the Rubicon and Johnson Valley. Moab is on the list but who knows when I'll make it there. I need to get the rear axle in mine a bit more reliable before I tackle anything possibly axle breaking. 35's on D35 probably isn't the smartest! LOL That buyer for your 8.8 fall thru yet?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.