Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 642 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #9616
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I just drive it around the way it is.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #9617
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
The Mrs tells me it is a fee-free day out there on Saturday, so you tightwads don't need to risk getting your rig towed or ending up in the pokey for making your way cross country to avoid a three dollar entrance fee, or whatever it is.

Funny thing is I've been offroading for 26 years now via dirt bikes, buggies, jeeps, race trucks and prerunners. I've played by the rules for most of that time in the hobby. I've been to countless land use meetings, countless RAMP meetings, etc... I've also watched most of the areas in the two places I've lived previously being northern Az and SoCal be closed off to us that recreate responsibly. So at this point after this long I just don't care anymore. I'm not out cutting fresh trails and making new tracks. Call me an A-hole for not wanting to play by the rules anymore but if you see me as wrong for continuing to recreate on existing trails so be it. 10-20 years from now offroading anywhere will most likely be illegal IMO at the rate that I've watched us loose our lands in the past 25 years. It started in 1972 and when S21 passed in the 90's out in California the writing was on the wall yet we still obeyed the rules and dealt with the loss of our lands. I can show you pictures of amazing jeep trails that are no longer accessible because some special interest group has more money then the people recreating. I've been a member of CORVA, BRC and I've convinced previous employers to become members of ORBA to help keep the land accessible to us but it's all for nothing.

Johnson Valley where the hammer trails are is on the verge of being gone. We've had a cabin there since the 70's... bye bye... The rubicon trail has been threatened to be taken for who knows how many years now. Moab has been on the table to disappear and that's in Utah which is generally regarded as a very offroad friendly state!

At this point, come get me... I foresee a time down the road where I'm either going to have to deal with heavy fines if I stop for the flashing lights or just know that whatever they're patrolling in isn't likely to catch me on my bike or in my truck. Now if we're talking glamis, okay, I'll stop but then again I've never had a reason to be stopped out there. LOL I do know that I probably won't outrun their suburu turbo charged funco sandrails though!

Funny part to me is I bet the fine for running a red light which could possibly kill people and ruin lives is less then getting caught on an existing trail that is "closed" by someone who has never been on it and truly has no interest in ever being on it. I've been in this hobby in one way or another for 3/4ths of my life, I've owned however many dirt bikes it was I posted yesterday, I've owned 2 jeep cherokees, a CJ7, my current TJ, and heavily modified explorer. My family has owned numerous buggies. I've built 3 very capable borderline race trucks and am currently building a dedicated race truck all just to watch the "no motorized vehicles" signs pop up. I've had my butt chewed by hikers on the "malcom smith trail" telling me that I can't ride there when they obviously have no clue who malcom smith is or why that trail was named after him. I'm at the point where I'm not giving it up on my hobby and will still attend the meetings and put in my 2 cents but also don't see any way to save it at this point. Maybe I need to work on making my jeep equally as fast as my truck and bike is in the dirt so they have a good challenge catching me no matter what vehicle I'm in. LOL

I know this isn't the "offroad friendly" approach that we should all have but some of us are over it... When they close it all, are you going to sell your toys or say screw it and keep going? Yeah, I kinda have a bit of interest in this land closure and trail closures cause I tend to have a lot of my life involved in them. It's what I've grown up doing and now I have signs signs everywhere the signs popping up telling me I can't do what I want anymore. I thought the point of heading out to the middle of nowhere was so that I don't annoy people with my dust and exhaust tones but now even that's not good enough.

And sorry if I can name endless other places to hang out and socialize and have a good time at that don't involve paying a needless fee... I'll keep my $10 and put it towards today's meals.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #9618
sirhk100

LOL, I've got a buddy at four wheeler magazine doing some research on the origins of that FSJ picture and where that trail really is located. He says so far he knows for sure it's been doctor'd but was done before photoshop existed. It's an old school cropped picture. He also sent me this picture...

Dr, if you don't have this poster, you need it!

Unread 04-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #9619
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
LOL, I've got a buddy at four wheeler magazine doing some research on the origins of that FSJ picture and where that trail really is located. He says so far he knows for sure it's been doctor'd but was done before photoshop existed. It's an old school cropped picture. He also sent me this picture...

Dr, if you don't have this poster, you need it!

i want one! Cant find any record it though

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #9620
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Funny thing is I've been offroading for 26 years now via dirt bikes, buggies, jeeps, race trucks and prerunners. I've played by the rules for most of that time in the hobby. I've been to countless land use meetings, countless RAMP meetings, etc... I've also watched most of the areas in the two places I've lived previously being northern Az and SoCal be closed off to us that recreate responsibly. So at this point after this long I just don't care anymore. I'm not out cutting fresh trails and making new tracks. Call me an A-hole for not wanting to play by the rules anymore but if you see me as wrong for continuing to recreate on existing trails so be it. 10-20 years from now offroading anywhere will most likely be illegal IMO at the rate that I've watched us loose our lands in the past 25 years. It started in 1972 and when S21 passed in the 90's out in California the writing was on the wall yet we still obeyed the rules and dealt with the loss of our lands. I can show you pictures of amazing jeep trails that are no longer accessible because some special interest group has more money then the people recreating. I've been a member of CORVA, BRC and I've convinced previous employers to become members of ORBA to help keep the land accessible to us but it's all for nothing.

Johnson Valley where the hammer trails are is on the verge of being gone. We've had a cabin there since the 70's... bye bye... The rubicon trail has been threatened to be taken for who knows how many years now. Moab has been on the table to disappear and that's in Utah which is generally regarded as a very offroad friendly state!

At this point, come get me... I foresee a time down the road where I'm either going to have to deal with heavy fines if I stop for the flashing lights or just know that whatever they're patrolling in isn't likely to catch me on my bike or in my truck. Now if we're talking glamis, okay, I'll stop but then again I've never had a reason to be stopped out there. LOL I do know that I probably won't outrun their suburu turbo charged funco sandrails though!

Funny part to me is I bet the fine for running a red light which could possibly kill people and ruin lives is less then getting caught on an existing trail that is "closed" by someone who has never been on it and truly has no interest in ever being on it. I've been in this hobby in one way or another for 3/4ths of my life, I've owned however many dirt bikes it was I posted yesterday, I've owned 2 jeep cherokees, a CJ7, my current TJ, and heavily modified explorer. My family has owned numerous buggies. I've built 3 very capable borderline race trucks and am currently building a dedicated race truck all just to watch the "no motorized vehicles" signs pop up. I've had my butt chewed by hikers on the "malcom smith trail" telling me that I can't ride there when they obviously have no clue who malcom smith is or why that trail was named after him. I'm at the point where I'm not giving it up on my hobby and will still attend the meetings and put in my 2 cents but also don't see any way to save it at this point. Maybe I need to work on making my jeep equally as fast as my truck and bike is in the dirt so they have a good challenge catching me no matter what vehicle I'm in. LOL

I know this isn't the "offroad friendly" approach that we should all have but some of us are over it... When they close it all, are you going to sell your toys or say screw it and keep going? Yeah, I kinda have a bit of interest in this land closure and trail closures cause I tend to have a lot of my life involved in them. It's what I've grown up doing and now I have signs signs everywhere the signs popping up telling me I can't do what I want anymore. I thought the point of heading out to the middle of nowhere was so that I don't annoy people with my dust and exhaust tones but now even that's not good enough.

And sorry if I can name endless other places to hang out and socialize and have a good time at that don't involve paying a needless fee... I'll keep my $10 and put it towards today's meals.
It is the same thing everywhere, those in power want something and there is nothing that the masses can do about it. Heck I am going through it right now with our HOA. They want to get rid of a small section of grass that we have at our park. No reason, they just want to get rid of it and replace it with rocks. They said that it was a cost savings, yet our HOA has on average 10-15k left over every year. People have asked exactly how much it would save, but have not gotten any response to date. If they put rocks in there I can promise that my quads and mountain bikes will be going through it. F em if they can't take a joke.
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #9621
sirhk100

Maybe they'll be big *** boulders we can all come crawl on? You're possibly looking at it wrong. Encourage the installation of LARGE rocks! LOL

Unread 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #9622
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

The bigger the rock the better. We can all bring the jeeps over and go wheeling.
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #9623
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

My hoa came and cut the tree down in my yard. It was half dead but they left the stump. About 2' hight stump in the yard. They wont come remove the stump now i park the jeep on it.
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #9624
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasZJ
My hoa came and cut the tree down in my yard. It was half dead but they left the stump. About 2' hight stump in the yard. They wont come remove the stump now i park the jeep on it.
I would cut them off at the knees with a 12 GA for coming into my yard and vandalizing my property!
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #9625
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey

I would cut them off at the knees with a 12 GA for coming into my yard and vandalizing my property!
I was going to... it turned into a big mess and when my wife had the twins i gave up. I currently live in a mobile home ( get the new house on the 1st) but there came all if these stipulations about i only rent the land. A bunch of crap that i could have beat but didnt have the resources at the time. But at the moment a big white grand cherokee all flexed in the front yard will work. Cant wait to move!!
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #9626
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ahhh the good 'ol south
image-306520546.jpg  
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #9627
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasZJ

I was going to... it turned into a big mess and when my wife had the twins i gave up. I currently live in a mobile home ( get the new house on the 1st) but there came all if these stipulations about i only rent the land. A bunch of crap that i could have beat but didnt have the resources at the time. But at the moment a big white grand cherokee all flexed in the front yard will work. Cant wait to move!!
Pics of said ZJ and stump. Action pics prefered.
Puck81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #9628
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you know who the chair of the HOA is, dig up the stump, and carefully place it in their driveway, begin their car. That way they back into it when leaving, and then have to dispose of it!
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #9629
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I (unintentionally) touched a nerve there I guess. I am no fan of closures, and I go to a lot of those meetings too. It sometimes feels like an uphill battle, but there's hearts and minds that can and could be won if we just keep talking about it, and not just on the jeep board.
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #9630
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Who all is a for sure going on Sunday's lake trip? Anybody with a boat?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.