Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 640 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 04-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #9586
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

girl got me a car cover for my birthday on Monday. I think its beautiful, but I think she's trying to tell me something

I wonder how she'd feel if i got her a brown paper bag when she comes home from France?

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #9587
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Even that just seems kind of like beating a dead horse. Using new technology to better recreate old technology (steam)?
Most electricity in the country basically comes from steam ... just different ways of getting the steam. Nuclear, coal, and most natural gas basically use heat to create steam, which is then pushed through a turbine to spin a generator. There's nothing wrong with it, nobody has come up with a better technology yet. Fuel cells, PV panels and a few other technologies lack a kinetic step, but most power generation requires some kinetic energy to turn a generator.
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #9588
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
My point was this... steam energy was one of the first forms of motor and here we are in 2012 and still using a steam motor in an attempt to generate electricity. I really thought we'd be beyond steam by now.
Uhm, we've gone from using steam to operate a piston to using steam to be highly efficient in turning a turbine which generates electricity. I'd say thats a pretty big leap. We use that technology elsewhere too

Also, sometimes the simple stuff is a good answer. Even in the desert, using water to generate power is alot more renewable than coal or oil or natural gas, and clean too. Also i guarantee they do all sorts of energy recapturing stuff there the spent steam is used to help heat the incoming water and whatnot.

Little known fact that almost every building in the country receives enough solar energy to heat itself, had it been designed to do so, and im not even talking about solar panels or anything, im talking about glazing area, heat capture, and designing and using building materials in order to capitalize on that. Same pretty much goes for cooling strategies too.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 04-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #9589
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Maybe she figured summer is almost here and she wanted your wagon to be cooler.

When you were little and your Mom gave you medicine, did you think she hated you because it tasted bad?
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #9590
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I know how steam is used. I'm not even saying it's wrong. Again, I just thought we'd have moved on by now.
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #9591
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Maybe she figured summer is almost here and she wanted your wagon to be cooler.

When you were little and your Mom gave you medicine, did you think she hated you because it tasted bad?
Nah, it was actually very thoughtful of her. It lives in storage, and 9 days out of 10 (specially in the summer when i drive it less) it is outside, uncovered, in the elements.

After painstakingly restoring the paint these past 2 springs, i think she didnt want me to feel bad about leaving it outside.

However this does mean she will use "i got you a cover for a reason" as an excuse any time i EVER ask to put the nova in storage.

There's going to be a good 6 month period where that car wont be left outside for a single day i bet, because shes getting it painted when she gets back from her trip.

Unread 04-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #9592
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I had some vodka. I don't like it. People actually enjoy that stuff? Maybe I can sleep.
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #9593
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This thread moves slow when Bunny's not around....lol.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #9594
sirhk100

Dr, you're friggen insane!!! (funny part is I've actually been on this trail in colorado but it's wider now. Still was scary as hell even in a narrow CJ7! Someday I'll post pictures of our old CJ and my friends old XJ on it.)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #9595
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have seen that pic a few times before, and every time is see it I get a little bit of the pucker factor
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #9596
sirhk100

Rumor has it the picture is actually cropped but I've never seen confirmation of it. When we did that trail in the mid 90's it wasn't nearly that bad. The switch backs were a bit sketchy though. 3 point turns with a clutch where if you rolled forward to far it was over without question. It was never on an edge like that but a mechanical breakage or slip of the pedal could make things really scary or really bad really fast. At the bottom of the switchbacks was an old snow cat that had obviously rolled down from somewhere above and the mangled mess was creepy! I actually somewhere have a picture of my friends XJ at the bottom looking up the switchbacks with the water fall and house in the background that I blew up into a poster size. I should find it and hang it in my garage!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #9597
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

That's like a Deadliest Roads episode.
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #9598
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
This thread moves slow when Bunny's not around....lol.
I totally agree! That guy talks too much!
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #9599
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
The wife and I are in for the BBQ. We may wuss out and grab some port of subs on the way up. She really wants to fish so we may stay for a while.

In jeep related news. The motor is in the jeep still but just needs to be lifted out. I've been waiting for my dad to have a Saturday off so he can help me lift it out. Then the tear down will begin. I've already decided on a mild cam and valve job. If it doesn't need much as far as machine work I may get a Hughes intake. I don't want to get to crazy on it.

I also called the realtor today and told her that she must be doing to well financially and didnt need my money. I've called her 4 times with no response about getting an offer in on 2 houses. On to realtor number 3.
You are talking about the ported kegger intake and not the M1 right? The M1 will kill your low end.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #9600
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
You are talking about the ported kegger intake and not the M1 right? The M1 will kill your low end.
You just made all that up, didn't you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.