Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 639 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #9571
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
I never spoke, just left a written comment but it's the only way you can really see what's going on.
"Food was overpriced and the service sucked."

Our goal for the day was to revisit mines west of the solar farms. Most of the trails back there are already closed to public traffic. The trails that weren't marked were deeply washed. Passable by Jeep, but uncomfortable. After a few miles along that range we came across another sign saying no public access. We said screw it, went back to the interstate and headed to Goodsprings.

Unread 04-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #9572
sirhk100

The other interesting thing about the land meeting is there's a sign in sheet and you can put an affiliation down there. Basically you put any club or org. that you're with or even want to pretend you're there with just so they can see what groups are present. The head of SNORE was there which is the vegas based low budget truck/buggy race series along with a couple racers of those. There was one or two jeep guys and half a room of dirt bike and quad riders. Then there was pretty much the other half of the room would be the green people opposing the solar project and there'd be like 2 people there in support of the solar projects. I thought it was itneresting that not many 4wd people or truck/buggy racers were there. Casey Folks who is Vegas based and runs BITD which is the high dollar premium race series wasn't there and he's got a lot at stake with those areas. Kinda was shocking that the people that have under $10K into their equipment for their hobby weren't there yet the guys with the 6 figure race cars weren't there to yell and scream. LOL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #9573
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
The other interesting thing about the land meeting is there's a sign in sheet and you can put an affiliation down there.

Unread 04-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #9574
sirhk100

lol nice!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #9575
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Last picture for now. I wish I had some cool pictures to share, but we never reached our goal for the day. We were trying to make our way past Christmas Mine to the New Year Mine. Just around that corner is a 20 foot waterwall. There are footholds here and there.
You made it as close to the New Year Mine as I did ... but it a cool little canyon that I had fun in with the family when I went there last. Have you explored around the Christmas Mine. That's an impressive tailings pile.
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #9576
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Here's one of the solar towers they're putting out in the CA desert. From what I understand, this isn't a photo voltaic site meaning this solar site has no solar panels. Instead, it will have reflectors all around it that will concentrate solar energy to the top of that tower.
I don't know if this plant will utilize this, but one of the newer technologies involve heating up a special kind of sand until it's white hot, and it then works a bit like a battery as they can still use it to produce steam (and hence electricity) even after the sun has gone down. I'm not sure how hard it is to get it heated back up in the morning.
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #9577
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Yeah, we did again. Not sure what that place is about. The adit only goes back maybe 50 yards. No other levels in there at all. As far as portals (entrances) go, it is probably one of the nicest ones we've seen in the area. Funny how that works. A mine with an impressive tailing pile like Christmas Mine has very little depth to it while others, like Kirby Mine look almost like a little prospect and go on several hundred yards and levels.

If you make your way down the wash (35°43'48.68"N 115°28'22.47"W) you'll come across the trail to the Silver Gem and Mountain Queen Mines. Those mines were both vertical operations and both have been sealed, but the trail leading up to it has plenty of structures to see. We found out when we got home that there is also a back way to Sultan Mine.

After a little research, I was able to find the eastern wash leading to the Christmas Mine. In that research I also read all portals, but the very top have been dynamited. Sad to know, but better to read about it comfy at home than finding out after climbing an hour.

My favorite part about exploring is seeing a feature or a tailing for the first time. It's that moment of discovery I crave. There is still plenty to see out there, but sadly, I haven't had that feeling in a while.
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #9578
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, we did again. Not sure what that place is about. The adit only goes back maybe 50 yards. No other levels in there at all. As far as portals (entrances) go, it is probably one of the nicest ones we've seen in the area. Funny how that works. A mine with an impressive tailing pile like Christmas Mine has very little depth to it while others, like Kirby Mine look almost like a little prospect and go on several hundred yards and levels.

If you make your way down the wash (35°43'48.68"N 115°28'22.47"W) you'll come across the trail to the Silver Gem and Mountain Queen Mines. Those mines were both vertical operations and both have been sealed, but the trail leading up to it has plenty of structures to see. We found out when we got home that there is also a back way to Sultan Mine.

After a little research, I was able to find the eastern wash leading to the Christmas Mine. In that research I also read all portals, but the very top have been dynamited. Sad to know, but better to read about it comfy at home than finding out after climbing an hour.

My favorite part about exploring is seeing a feature or a tailing for the first time. It's that moment of discovery I crave. There is still plenty to see out there, but sadly, I haven't had that feeling in a while.
I'm guessing a big tailing pile with a small hole means that not a lot of ore was carted away, while small tailings and a big hole means the opposite.
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #9579
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I used to think that too. It makes sense, but in reality, you really can't tell from the tailing. I've been next to tailings no taller than my Jeep, but the adits went back several levels and several hundred yards.

Tailings are just waste rock. If the mine had an on-site mill, the tailings could be huge. Yellow Pine Mine comes to mind. If they didn't have an on-site mill, you won't see much of a tailing pile. If they were also next to a trail, you may not see much because it was carted somewhere else.

A while back, I posted pictures of a hog hunting trip on a friends property. One of his neighbors found a mine on his property that nobobdy knew about. From what he's explored, it went back close to 300 yards which is huge for a single mine level. There were several winze's (vertical shafts leading to levels above or below), but he didn't attempt the ladders.

There was no public record of there ever being a mine on that property. There was no tailing pile. The closest mine on record was over 40 miles away. Those things can be anywhere. We plan on exploring it the next time we're there. Looking forward to that!
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #9580
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
bonez, you ride? What bike? I'm always looking for people to ride with. I prefer single track but typically anything is better then sitting on the couch or wrenching in the garage. LOL Fast or slow, doesn't matter, I just like the excuse to get out on the bike and it's been neglected pretty badly lately.
I actually grew up riding on the trails around the outskirts of town. My last/current bike is just a an old little XR200R.. Unfortunately I don't ride anymore, it was getting to the point that every time I would go out riding I would be in too much pain when I got back and coughing up blood for the next day or so. Just wasn't worth it, I rebuilt the carb a few years ago and replaced a bad petcock and got it running good, but then just let it sit in the parents back yard and haven't touched it since. Really should sell it and use the proceeds to fund the Jeep habit.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #9581
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
I don't know if this plant will utilize this, but one of the newer technologies involve heating up a special kind of sand until it's white hot, and it then works a bit like a battery as they can still use it to produce steam (and hence electricity) even after the sun has gone down. I'm not sure how hard it is to get it heated back up in the morning.
Even that just seems kind of like beating a dead horse. Using new technology to better recreate old technology (steam)?
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #9582
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
My first ride... 1982 Honda XR100

Moved on to a '83 XR200 that my dad used to ride.

Then a '87 CR125

'86 yamaha TT350. (this bike should NEVER have left the ground! LOL)

1990 KX250

the old CJ7!

Then out of college I picked up a '99 YZF400 which I don't have pictures of.

Bought my first brand new bike after that which was my '03 honda CRF450

and now I have my two KTM's pictured in the previous post in the trailer and on the back of the jeep/truck.

LOL, there's my bike pictorial! I've also currently got a '78 honda C70 scooter and an old honda XL125 dual sport in my shed that are both mint but need tires and batteries to run.
Love the KTM, a buddy and I tried a doubles race (relay style) on a 350.. Those things are awesome! Ahhh.. The good ol days
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #9583
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny

Even that just seems kind of like beating a dead horse. Using new technology to better recreate old technology (steam)?
But......you aren't burning any hydrocarbons to generate the heat! That is a major downfall of any process using hydrocarbons-entropy(loss/escape of heat). Gasoline, coal, natgas, etc lose between 60-80% of the energy in the form of heat. They are very inefficient because of it. 80% of gasoline's energy is lost through heat in the int combustion engine. Without the loss of heat, the energy coefficient increases so as to become a more efficient energy source. By using energy that is normally absorbed by the earth(solar) to heat the sand and therefore boil h2o, you aren't losing any energy on the front side, just losing some of the energy that would otherwise be wasted. Depending on how long it takes to heat to the boiling point, that sounds like a more efficient way than photovoltaic.
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #9584
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

The wife and I are in for the BBQ. We may wuss out and grab some port of subs on the way up. She really wants to fish so we may stay for a while.

In jeep related news. The motor is in the jeep still but just needs to be lifted out. I've been waiting for my dad to have a Saturday off so he can help me lift it out. Then the tear down will begin. I've already decided on a mild cam and valve job. If it doesn't need much as far as machine work I may get a Hughes intake. I don't want to get to crazy on it.

I also called the realtor today and told her that she must be doing to well financially and didnt need my money. I've called her 4 times with no response about getting an offer in on 2 houses. On to realtor number 3.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #9585
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

My point was this... steam energy was one of the first forms of motor and here we are in 2012 and still using a steam motor in an attempt to generate electricity. I really thought we'd be beyond steam by now.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.