Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 638 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #9556
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Saw this little thing at the Y today. Pretty awesome.

picture-6.jpg  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #9557
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Not really a fan of Zuk's, but I can appreciate the effort he put into it.
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #9558
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's great! If you tip it over by yourself you can flip it back!
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #9559
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here's one of the solar towers they're putting out in the CA desert. From what I understand, this isn't a photo voltaic site meaning this solar site has no solar panels. Instead, it will have reflectors all around it that will concentrate solar energy to the top of that tower.

I thought maybe it would be at the top of that tower where the solar energy would be converted to electricity, but nope. Again, I may have this completely wrong, but from what little I researched it is a solar steam tower. The reflectors heat the tower, that heats water, that creates steam, that powers generators, that generates electricity.

Current cost of the Ivanpah Solar farm is around 2.5 Billion. There will be a total of 5 solar sites in that area. The one pictured here is the most complete and if the panels are supposed to surround the tower, there are only about 5% of the panels in place. 2.5 Billion and nowhere near finished. That's a lot of money to serve the needs of a small population of Southern California. The estimated cost is the Keystone Pipeline is 2-5 billion. Every american would benefit from that. How does that solar farm make sense?
img_9374.jpg  
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #9560
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Last picture for now. I wish I had some cool pictures to share, but we never reached our goal for the day. We were trying to make our way past Christmas Mine to the New Year Mine. Just around that corner is a 20 foot waterwall. There are footholds here and there.

Not a technical climb at all, but I wasn't sure there would be anywhere at the top to slip rope for the way down. I'm sure I could have found somewhere up there to anchor the rope, but rope is expensive. I would want to slip it over something so we could double rope down and just pull a single rope to retrieve it.

20 feet doesn't sound that high, but it is when you're looking down. People have died falling far less. I'd rather not risk my wifes life.

I'll have to research it more. I read there were other ways to that mine, but from what I saw on site, the other ways would have to cross deep valleys.

We did find a few other trails not on any of our maps, so there's still plenty to explore out there.
img_9388.jpg  
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #9561
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post

Current cost of the Ivanpah Solar farm is around 2.5 Billion. There will be a total of 5 solar sites in that area. The one pictured here is the most complete and if the panels are supposed to surround the tower, there are only about 5% of the panels in place. 2.5 Billion and nowhere near finished. That's a lot of money to serve the needs of a small population of Southern California. The estimated cost is the Keystone Pipeline is 2-5 billion. Every american would benefit from that. How does that solar farm make sense?
It doesn't make any sense. Just like making a massive deal for oil in South America makes no sense.
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #9562
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Khris my first and last bike was a Suzuki DS 80. Had a blast on that thing when I was a kid in Ely. We took off the muffler so it would sound cool
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #9563
sirhk100

Yeah, sorry Andrew... Made the choice solely on the pocket book hoping that it wouldn't be a case of you get what you pay for. First impressions... I'm stoked!!! Had to do about 30 minutes or so customizing some stuff so that I could get my gates open again but not a big deal at all. One of them the dirt was too high to let it swing open. The other one is motorized and the track was buried. I've got an idea to possibly put some blocks in there to help with future dirt working it's way back in there all the time. Anyways, some pictures of what I came home to. This morning it was all dirt, weeds and crab grass.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #9564
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here's another bit of info. Lots of temporary construction workers out there, but when it's all complete, it'll only about 50 people.

I completely agree that we should explore other energy sources, but we should also wait until technology makes it cost effective. We're just not there yet.
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #9565
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Looks like they did a good job. If I ever have a yard that needs rock landscaping, I know plenty of tailing piles with uniform sized rocks that I could use. It'll take a while getting enough back, but I'm out there anyway. Gotta save any way I can.
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #9566
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
How much for the Basslink?
I was going to throw it on craigslist for $125, but for you I can do $250.

nah I would not lose any sleep at $100
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #9567
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Thanks, but I'll pass on that. Crutchfield sells them new for $200 now. There's already one on CL for $100.

I don't even listen to my stereo anymore while driving, but I may build a system anyway just to have one. I was thinking of making an custom fiberglass enclosure. They're really not that hard to make.
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #9568
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have not even looked to see how much they go for. What would make ya happy?
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #9569
sirhk100

I paid $100 for the basslink I bought off craigslist and once I got it working I'm stoked with that purchase!!!

As far as the ivanpah solar field. I went to 3 different BLM and land meetings opposing the projects out there and for the first time ever the greenies were on our side too. It was impressive the amount of info they dig up and went at them with. While we're there saying we oppose it cause we recreate on it they show up spouting legit hard hitting facts. The solar farm guy talked about how much labor and income it would bring to the area. The greenies stand up and dispute it saying that in previous projects the same company had brought in an outside labor force from south america to do all the labor. They then said that similar sized facilities were staffed by as little as 10 people and typically at the most 40. They also said that all the energy would be going to socal as well. So basically it would benefit the surrounding area (las vegas) virtually nothing. They then went into the amount of land used, the impact, the turtles, etc... They closed with that the solar fields typically had a lifespan of about 10-15 years and they questioned what the companies plans were at that point. If they'd just walk away and leave it barren skeleton of a solar plant in the desert or what. The representative had no info/reply to that one...

The land meetings are pretty interesting and can get down right comical when it opens to public statement. I never spoke, just left a written comment but it's the only way you can really see what's going on. The whole stateline/jean area has some interesting proposals on the maps that's for sure!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #9570
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Not really sure. I'm not really in the market for one unless it was a steal, but since you threw it out there, I figured I'd ask.

All of my speakers are Kicker and I barely use them as it is. I think I listen more to my CB now than my stereo. Must be nice to be able to hear your music in a JK without having to crank it up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.