Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#12,321 ·
#12,323 ·
Powrjunkey said:
Khris, I gotta say, I'm pretty good with tools an building stuff, but your fan skills far exceed mine! And thats an understatement. Is there a shop here you can recommend for a custom kit? Bought kits have easily replaced(bought) parts in case of failure.
I know lug studs should be ok, just like glock pistols rarely fail, but I just don't trust them.
Not that you are asking for opinions again or anything, but my RE long arm squeaks and moans over every pebble in the road, despite being regularly lubed.

#12,324 ·
B0nez said:
Not that you are asking for opinions again or anything, but my RE long arm squeaks and moans over every pebble in the road, despite being regularly lubed.
Thanks for the info actually, that squeaking would drive me insane. I hate hearing strange noises. I like a system that talks to me, but I don't want a whiny bytch either! I always figured custom/frankenlifts were more expensive! :dunno:

#12,325 ·
I think I must have missed something. You guys are all talking like he has $4K budgeted for suspension alone. I thought I read $4K for suspension + wheels + tires; which in all honesty isn't that unrealistic of a budget, especially if that includes installation. If it truly is for suspension alone, well... carry on gents!

#12,327 ·
Personally, I would shy away from the RE long arm. Most LA kits on the market leave a lot to be desired when it comes to suspension geometery. The RE kit is no exception. The rear links just don't have enough seperation at the frame end causing massive anti-squat numbers. Combine that with a radius arm front, and you get a rig that tends to bounce more than Jenna Jamison. Don't get me wrong, the RE kit is better than most such as the Rough Country kit :nono: but a good custom build would address those short falls. Unfortunately, most of us (myself included) don't have the knowledge to build a custom kit nor go without a DD for the time it takes to build one. :rtft:

#12,328 ·
And if you're like me, I barely understand the principles and geometry of the suspensions. I don't trust my welds with the lives of my family either. I've never built a suspension and don't want to start on something as important as my jeep. If I was building a quad or some biggie for the dirt only, I'd try. There are way more people out there that know more or pretend to know more about this than I do. I need to find somewhere/someone trustworthy that can build a good kit or just find a higher end kit that I can be happy with. I'm searching for a unicorn, I know, but I want as close to OEM ride on road as possible and a highly capable off road set up too. That's why I was set on a long arm! Maybe my train of thought isn't on course?

#12,330 ·
I'm willing to spend the money for it to be right! I just don't want to spend the money and have it be a mediocre kit.

#12,331 ·
Most people talk trash about the brand of my lift when they probably have never owned one or touched a single part of the kit. But I like my rough country lift and it does everything I ask of it.

With that said if I wasn't worried about dropping big $$$ I would've probably looked into other avenues. But the rough country lift I have serves me well and I drive it every day.

#12,337 ·
I'm not seeing why the RE and procomp kits are so much more than the rough country or IRO kits. Do they have more pieces, or stronger materials?

#12,338 ·
Shy of the squeakyness I have really liked my RE LA setup.. I have always used RE because of their positive reputation and good product. There are better out there, but I got the best that I could afford. If I replace the bushings with a different material, I am sure the squeaks would be gone. But I don't really know how to do that, I didn't install the kit so I don't really know what's where. My suspension installation experience is from YJ's.. nice and simple, all these bars and stuff everywhere with a coil suspension is more than I fully understand, and I haven't taken the time to really study and learn 'em.

I will say though, I miss the leaf suspension, once it was on, all I had to do was grease every once in a while. Coil suspensions with all those control arms etc. require a lot of maintenance having to re-torque stuff after every run.

#12,339 ·
Powrjunkey said:
I'm not seeing why the RE and procomp kits are so much more than the rough country or IRO kits. Do they have more pieces, or stronger materials?
I have not heard a lot of good about pro comp kits, but I have never heard of a rough country kit owner that wasn't satisfied with their product. I think RE may be charging for their name.. There has been a lot more companies come up in the industry since RE was one of the upper end kits so RE may just be banking on its past?

#12,340 ·
In addition to paying for the name, there is the design that went into it as well. The Rough Country long arm lift has zero seperation on the rear suspension frame end. While I can understand that from a packaging and cost standpoint, it has no performance value in the real world. I have no experience with the Procomp kit or the IRO kit so I can't comment on those. How high of a lift are you planning on going?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.