Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 60 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #886
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Man, I came up to an older guy and his son late this last spring in a 2wd colorado buried to their axle in a wash near lake mead. They had obviously been digging for a long time and judging by their tracks they'd get unstuck, then bury it again. I pulled up in my jeep towing a trailer with 2 dirt bikes. It was a warm day and they looked destroyed! Got them some ice cold water which they couldn't get enough of and offered to pull them out. Dropped the trailer, hooked up, put it in 4low and put in drive and not even stepping on a gas was enough to tug them out. GOt them back on hard ground. They were stressed having never been there before. Now the funny part... We had gone in the area a different route then what we were taking out. Turns out we were maybe 1/4 mile from the highway but not knowing, it seemed like we were in the middle of nowhere!

Anyways, sometimes trips don't go as planned and bad luck hits!

DRAKEOFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #887
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the compliment davidsonlaw.
Good Story DRAKEOFFROAD. Thanks for sharing.

A Bit more..
294284_250041371702972_100000913320851_781128_2734145_n.jpg   309249_250041401702969_100000913320851_781129_7734401_n.jpg   320094_250041311702978_100000913320851_781127_3968014_n.jpg  
blazepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #888
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

just dropped the waggy off to get the emissions dialed in one last bit. Shouldnt take the shop more than hour to get it to pass, so woo!

Hopefully it'll be registered on saturday and back on the road and trails (legally)

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #889
bonofied suiter
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the people that abandoned the vehicle were the same people that broke out the rear window and probably stole it.

A few years ago one of our VV4W club members came upon a vehicle in back country that had been set on fire. Two burned bodies were found inside the vehicle. Often in our rush to provide aid we could easily fall into the middle of a crime. It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine us rushing up at night to car fire in the distance to render aid only to find we are unwelcome witnesses to a crime. I make it a habit to bring my Sig along on a lot of runs but still don't hesitate to render aid when it's needed.

2010 -2011 -2012 Hump-N-Bump Director / Czar
bonofied suiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #890
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Is that a V8 badge on that Mountaineer? I bet that power really helped it dig that under that rear tire.
davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #891
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonofied suiter View Post
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the people that abandoned the vehicle were the same people that broke out the rear window and probably stole it.

A few years ago one of our VV4W club members came upon a vehicle in back country that had been set on fire. Two burned bodies were found inside the vehicle. Often in our rush to provide aid we could easily fall into the middle of a crime. It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine us rushing up at night to car fire in the distance to render aid only to find we are unwelcome witnesses to a crime. I make it a habit to bring my Sig along on a lot of runs but still don't hesitate to render aid when it's needed.
Amen...

Note my left hand in this wheelin' pic...

anyway, found this up on wheeler pass a few years ago, it was scary, made sure it was empty and then went on my way. It had been sitting, was completly glazed in ice.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 08-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #892
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

I need to be careful next time. Gotta get me some Sig too.
blazepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #893
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazepsi View Post
I need to be careful next time. Gotta get me some Sig too.
or ruger or glock or smith or springfield....get you SOMETHING

Quote:

Unread 08-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #894
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Test fire whatever you get first. I took a friend shooting, and everytime he tried to shoot my Glock it jammed on him. This freaked me out a little bit, so I shot it with no problems, then handed it back to him and it kept jamming. I watched him a little closer, and he was firing with a limp wrist. As a result, the slide wasn't getting as much energy because so much of it was traveling up his wrist and arm, and so there wasn't enough energy left to properly chamber the next round. He had a Browning BDM (I used to have one too, loved it, and wished I had never sold it) that worked just fine with his sissy grip. Just make sure you're comfortable with it and it matches your shooting style.
Unread 08-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #895
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Funny cause I wouldn't say I limp wrist my glock but I've found I'm much more accurate with a looser grip. Wrist is still solid, I'm just not death gripping it. I think this makes my trigger finger more fluid so I'm not jerking it as it goes.

I'm sort of hit and miss on if I bring it on runs. I'm not like a full blown gungho gun nut. I'm perfectly comfortable leaving home without it. On road trips I tend to bring it for some reason but for the most part it's a hobby peace and home defense. GOTTA LOVE NIGHT SIGHTS!!!

I know guys that carry even out riding dirt bikes which I've never done...

That picture of the mountaineer though in the wash... Maybe it's just cause I don't think I'm clueless but that thing really doesn't look stuck enough to have given up and walked away from. I'm not into stacking rocks but crap, if it's the difference between walking and driving out. I'll have that trail paved, that hole dug out and figure out something for leverage.

Obviously the mall people that never leave the city with their 4wd suv's won't know but a cheap *** come-a-long from harbor freight tossed in the back of your rig is a major life saver if you're stuck solo. A bit of thinking and you can usually find or create an anchor for your cheap winch to help tug.
DRAKEOFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #896
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

The Mountaineer must have gotten hung up on something, which the driver tried to power over, but ended up digging that hole on the right rear, which would only have made things worse. The way that tire looks, I wouldn't be surprised if the rear axle is lodged against something and the right rear tire probably isn't supporting any weight right now.
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #897
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I personally perfer the H&K 45 compact, but to each their own
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #898
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAKEOFFROAD View Post
Funny cause I wouldn't say I limp wrist my glock but I've found I'm much more accurate with a looser grip. Wrist is still solid, I'm just not death gripping it. I think this makes my trigger finger more fluid so I'm not jerking it as it goes.
When I watched him closer, I was kinda surprised that he wasn't just having the gun knocked out of his hand. He was barely holding it. It was like he didn't want to leave fingerprints on the gun. That, and my Glock is a 34, so it's quite a bit bigger than most (if not all) of their other models.
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #899
Tagsrover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My glock g17 used to jam when I first got it. Cleaned it, and replaced the mags, and haven't had a single problem the last 6 or 7 hundred rounds. Not a huge fan of the stock sights, but that's why there are night sights.

Maybe I'll just start carrying the king cobra or the benelli in the jeep haha.

You could always just get a walther p22. Small, cheap, and you can go plinking all day (550 rounds for $20).
Tagsrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #900
bonofied suiter
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The Vegas Valley Four Wheelers has a link to our club members that are on call for recoveries. I wouldn't expect a tow truck to be an attractive option when you are hung up in the sticks. One thing most of our recoveries have in common is that these people went wheeling alone and were not prepared for the unforseen. For this guy extraction could have been accomplished with a Hi-lift jack, Come-along or even a long strap. A shovel and some rock stacking may have done it too.

I guess it could have been a couple of teenage girls getting stuck with little experience or perhaps a few less savory types that just stole the vehicle took it out on a joy ride got stuck and didn't want the first responder to be a ranger or BLM with the ability to check if it belonged to them.

2010 -2011 -2012 Hump-N-Bump Director / Czar
bonofied suiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.