Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 580 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #8686
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I'm still home. All dressed and ready to go, but not very motivated.
I read an article about cleaning catalytics. If you think you have to replace it and it'll be removed, may as well try to clean it out. Take it off and submerge it in a solvent. From what the article said, it doesn't take much to clog a cat.

Others have had success beating it up with a hammer and driving aggressively to blow it out.

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #8687
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
Haha! You scream like a girl!! That's funny
Unread 04-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #8688
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny
Couldn't get the smog certificate because I haven't put on enough miles since I last cleared codes which was yesterday morning. Now I have to put on some miles and pay to get it tested again.

Making lemonade. Who has nothing to do? I'm going to head south to Goodsprings and shoot. I know it's short notice, but anyone else want to go?
Don't put too many miles on it!! The light on the Rango came on after only 30 miles for evap system. When she's off work for baby, I'm going to rip into the Rango for some much needed maintenance. Brakes all the way around including park shoes, evap system hoses, canister, maybe even fuel pump again, and whatever else I can find.
Once your cats reset, go recheck. You'd be better off just starting it twice after its cooled down and let it heat up to temp? And take it back. I need to find another smog place because the fool at LVBLVD and warm springs charges for retest. It's almost worth it to drive to ghetto for free retest.
Unread 04-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #8689
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Andy is having the cat issue. Every few weeks, mine throws a small evap leak code. I reset and cleared codes yesterday, but I didn't know they watch for that. A specific amount of monitored miles needs to pass before the monitor codes shut off.

Does your reader check for monitors too? The guy said I can have one open monitor. More than one and it can't be tested.
Unread 04-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #8690
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If I could keep from driving the Jeep, I would. I need it to get back and forth to work so not driving it much is not an option. I knew about beating it and driving aggresively to clean it up a bit. I did that when I got a CEL for the same in Germany. If I had known then, what I know now, I would have taken it straight to the dealer. As it sits now, it is out of emissions warranty by a short period.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #8691
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I just saw a video on YouTube about running laquer thinner in your gas tank to clean out your cat. Not sure I'd risk it.
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #8692
sirhk100

So, just got done with the jeep product idea's meeting... I had everything on the list and put it all out there. Only got laughed at for one of them. There still are ZERO promises this whole list will see reality but some of it will for sure most likely.

• JK center console arm rest pad to cover hard plastic
  • Real door locks that don't use a common tool or a pair of vice grips to unthread
  • JK dash top storage tray kinda like daystar's but different
  • JK underseat specific flashlight mount
  • Billet tail light covers (ugh, already a million out there, I'm not fond of this one)
  • JK driveshaft repair kit (lifted jk's trash the stock CV boot. Gonna looking possibly a replacement repair type setup)
  • Extruded alum rocker guards with steel glide plates (going to cost design this and see if it's even reasonably competitive.)
  • Hood plate vent (like the one on my jeep for those that have seen it but different and cheaper)
  • CB microphone hook (mentioned from here)
  • TJ ash tray switch panel replacement
  • Remote air tank for under vehicle (need to check into vendor resources and look to see if it's something we can do)
  • replacement panel on TJ under steering column for storage. (gotta look into plastic vs. steel, locking vs. not. They liked this idea but it might not end up what you visioned... Will have to bring mine in and put some effort into it.)
These are the ones that had interest... Some of them are for sure, some of them I have to do some research into to see if they make sense for our capabilities and the market demanded retail. But hey, some of you guys might get something you wanted moved forward!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #8693
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Andy is having the cat issue. Every few weeks, mine throws a small evap leak code. I reset and cleared codes yesterday, but I didn't know they watch for that. A specific amount of monitored miles needs to pass before the monitor codes shut off.

Does your reader check for monitors too? The guy said I can have one open monitor. More than one and it can't be tested.
Same with the Rango, it was the o2 and evap monitors that were not read. Took it on sat and evap was only one. Sunday light came on for evap.
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #8694
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Would you mind using your reader on it over the weekend? The guy said I could have one monitor code open. I've been reading about how to close the monitors and I think if I drive it for a few days it might be easier.
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #8695
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, we could try it. I think if we manually forced the checks it would work. Just have to stay away from evap tests!
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #8696
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

From what I've been reading, the specified driving checklist doesn't always work. Drive it at whatever speed for whatever minutes. That test.

Stupid part is I reset it yesterday so there won't be any codes, but didn't know about the monitors. If I would have left it alone it probably would have tested fine.

That evap code shows up every few weeks, but if that's the only one open it should be ok.
Unread 04-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #8697
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
From what I've been reading, the specified driving checklist doesn't always work. Drive it at whatever speed for whatever minutes. That test.

Stupid part is I reset it yesterday so there won't be any codes, but didn't know about the monitors. If I would have left it alone it probably would have tested fine.

That evap code shows up every few weeks, but if that's the only one open it should be ok.
The evap code is probably your gas cap. Sometimes it seals fine sometimes it doesn't. It's a really stupid reason to fail a vehicle on not have an air tight gas tank.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #8698
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Already thought of that. Doesn't seem to be the cap. I have a feeling it's the vent on the tank, but I really don't want to drop it again.
Unread 04-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #8699
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

ha, vehicles and computers dont belong together. All those new fangled codes and monitors....

when i go to get smogged they just put the sniffer in the jeeps tail pipe, rev the engine for 10 minutes, then tell me i failed.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #8700
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
ha, vehicles and computers dont belong together. All those new fangled codes and monitors....

when i go to get smogged they just put the sniffer in the jeeps tail pipe, rev the engine for 10 minutes, then tell me i failed.
That at least 2 gal of fuel.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.