Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 567 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 04-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #8491
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
How did that meeting go with all the design ideas?

Also, you never finished a story from before. The company at SEMA that just painted over your products. What happened with that?
Meeting is this Thursday. Funny part is on Friday afternoon a coworker asked if I'd started thinking of any ideas. I told him I had a couple. His reply was I've got like 1 or 2. I hold a piece of paper and am like well here's what I've got and it's 2 columns full. LOL He looked a little shocked and I just told him I have my sources.

SEMA deal. The owner went down to them with one of the sema officials and in so many words from what I understand explained to the people in the booth they needed to not be passing our product off as theirs. I wasn't there in person but apparently the people working there were just "sales" and claimed they didn't know and that the owner wasn't on sight. The SEMA people basically kicked the workers out of the booth right there on the spot and took their badges. That night they cleared the booth out. As far as I know they never went anywhere or were seen again so I'm not even sure what they were trying to do. This was quite a while ago, like '03ish.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #8492
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

So, you're a bewb guy, huh? Me, not so much. I like some nice bewbs, but they have to be proportional to the rest of the body. If the figure is right, a small set is just as good. I'm more of a leg and as s guy.
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #8493
sirhk100

Looking for that bumper picture on the jeep I posted above... I stumbled on these photos I forgot I had from one day working there. The kicker, the truck was BRAND NEW with less then 50 miles on it. Borrowed from the local dealer to do test fit work on! WHOOPS!!!

That's me with my back to the camera wearing the hat and sweat shirt from an old race team I used to ride for.

Goofy stuff happens working in the auto industry!

Unread 04-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #8494
sirhk100

BTW, ysb, when you get bored of the areas south of town for mines you should really try and head down to that area I linked above. There's a ton of old open shafts as well as still active claims in the area. I'd be surprised if you don't find something of interest. I think MMCKEIG has a photo or two that he can show you.

Unread 04-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #8495
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Do you have that area on Google Earth? It's easier to plot coords on GE.

I think we're getting too familiar with Goodsprings. We always find something new when we go, but I think we discovered the best stuff already. For me, the best part about getting out there is that moment of discovery when I see a new tailing pile for the first time. We already know where all the mines are in Goodsprings. I'm still chasing that moment of discovery and it has to be somewhere else.

Sometime soon, maybe tomorrow, we'll expand our exploring to Tecopa, CA. It's not too far into CA, but the closest way is through Pahrump and I hate getting through that mountain pass on Blue Diamond.

Usually, if there are active mines in an area, we try to stay away. Not just because of possible trespassing, but because blasting in a nearby mine could collapse the one we're exploring. If I have any question that a mine could be unsafe, I back out of it. You mentioned there are active mines out there. All the active mines we've come across have been quarries which are safer. I'll have to get out there and see for myself.

This is the area we hope to search soon: 3548'1.41"N 116 5'11.30"W

It's a web of trails Southwest of Pahrump. Lots of old mines around there. Which is closer, that area in Nelson you mentioned or Tecopa?
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #8496
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I found an area around Nelson that looks interesting:
3542'24.09"N 11449'48.39"W

It's a web of trails that is west of Nelson called Eldorado Road. Are you familiar with it?
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #8497
sirhk100

I don't have google earth on this computer, sorry...

From my house nelson is definitely closer! Takes probably 35-45minutes to get out there but I'm also on the east side of town near trop & 95.

From riding my dirt bike there's tailing piles all over that place. It's littered with them! Usually I'm riding narrow single track trails that look like hiking trails and I pass a lot of holes that are 10-15 feet off the side up on hillsides that you'd have to hike up to cause there's no vehicle trail. The thing with this area is it's lots of canyons and mtn type terrain so there's not like one area where you can look out to see various tailings. You just have to explore up and down the washes and various trails.

Understood with the nearby active mines. Never thought about that... We walked in about 10' into a horizontal one yesterday but it made a turn and got dark way too fast with just having a light on a phone! LOL

That link I posted above will take you RIGHT to a vertical shaft that has a struture still standing over the top of it. It's got a fence surrounding it to keep people from being stupid. There's a couple others within 1/2 mile radius in some of the other canyons there.

I know just yesterday you commented using your jeep more of transportation then for wheeling so you might be hiking some of these cause some of them will require 4lo and get rocky.

Unread 04-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #8498
sirhk100

As far as being familiar with it. Funny part is I know the area VERY well. Problem is I don't know the area very well when accessing it from the pavement. I usually park in the same spot and ride dirt bike on the narrow trails like I was talking about. I'm usually not down in the washes or on the jeep type trails. I'm usually up on the ridgelines above everything. Just yesterday in the canyon I saw two shafts I'd never noticed before but every other time I'm on my bike in 3rd gear concentrating on not hitting rocks that'll slam me into the ground. Yesterday I was in 4lo creeping with time to take in the scenery. I know there's probably a LOT out there I haven't seen for that reason alone.

Unread 04-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #8499
sirhk100

Just looked at your cords. That's a VERY smoothly graded major access road that will take you to what looks like a large area of mines both old and active. Hold on, I'm going to create some amazing art work for you in MS paint to post up...

Unread 04-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #8500
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Shouldn't you be working?
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #8501
sirhk100

google maps isn't the best resolution obviously. squares are active. circles are old and unactive I believe. There's A TON more out there but these are just the big ones off memory. Like I said, just drive up and down those canyons and you'll see the piles of dirt.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...k100/mine1.jpg

Unread 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #8502
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Shouldn't you be working?
I'm working on a billet mirror for a '65-66 mustang right now. Had it all sweet and *****in but the owner wants me to change one profile which is turning out to cause me to pretty much go back to step 2 out of 40 and change almost everyone cause each next step builds off the previous in a way. So this simple change has me redoing the whole thing. It's kicking my butt right now!!! LOL Crappy part is he'll probably end up liking the first one when it's all said and done. I obviously have saved that original copy so I'm not loosing it at least.

Unread 04-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #8503
sirhk100

He doesn't want the round pointed end at the top where the mirror face would mount to. There will be a ball sticking out that the mirror attaches to and that's what allows it to pivot. He thinks it's too much like the original and wants something more square.

So this is where I'm heading but now I've gotta reshape the whole arm back to sort of how it is above. The round surfaces though are referenced in it and now that they're gone it's all screwed up and confused!

Unread 04-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #8504
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
HE should be laughing at how flat she is!!
You got that right. I would have kicked hat little boy outta there.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #8505
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Could you recommend a cheap local metal fabricator?

I've posted a few pictures of ladders in the mines. Most of the time, the ladders head down. It's easy enough to set a top rope anchor for that situation. Less commonly, we'll find ladders that go up. No real convenient way to use a safety rope on a ladder going up.

What I was trying to find was something that would slip over each rung of the ladder. Something that can easily be set, removed and replaced on the next highest rung. This would be attached by rope or sling to another similar piece. A carabiner joined to my harness would attached over the rope or sling allowing it to slide freely.

Piece A will hold onto a lower ladder rung. Climb up and set Piece B on a higher rung. Climb up and alternate pieces. You're a smart guy. You can visualize the system.

Something like that would not be an absolute safety system. The weakest point would still be the 100 year old ladder, but it would be better than just climbing up a ladder with nothing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.