Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#11,021 ·
#11,024 ·
davidsonlaw said:
Didn't he post a CL link to some Rubicon rims earlier? $400 for 5 if I remember correctly, and three had tires.
But they were 17" rims, which means they're for the jk, larger bolt pattern. Need the tj ones.

#11,026 ·
Anyone here a runner?

Here is the deal. Obviously, the AF has a PT program. Since they instilled the current requirements, I have never done a 1.5 mile run in less than 12 minutes. My best time is actually 12 minutes flat. I know there are people here that are going to give me the obvious answer of "run more." The problem is, I do! I run between 1.5 and 3 miles every day except on the weekends. I have been told everything from "you are overtraining" (I know what the experts say but I also know that if I don't run everyday it actually hurts my time) to "run more." Should I start running on the weekends as well? Should I take what the "experts" say and run every other day (I tried that before and it just doesn't work for me.) Should I try doing sprints one day and distance running the next? I would like to cut a full two minutes off my time by my next test in 6 months, I just don't know how to go about doing it. What says you JF?

#11,027 ·
You're a lean guy, Andy. If you aren't decreasing your run times, it's not from endurance or ability. It's probably something simple like your stride technique. I'm guessing you're over-striding in an attempt to decrease your times which is opposite of what helps.

Over-striding seems like it makes sense. Longer strides, more efficient, better times. It actually hurts running times. Over-striding creates jarring impacts which limits and can actually slow you down.

Shorten your strides and increase your stride rate. It takes some effort to retrain the brain to do that. It seems like the opposite of progress. Do that and your times will improve.

#11,028 ·
Hey Andy I got my wife into cycling a while back. She cut over a minute off of her run time after a few months of riding. Also look into interval training (light pole to light pole sprinting) and possible trail running. Some of the times when we hit a trail that we know in the Jeep, the wife will get out and run ahead. Once she is done she just jumps in and we keep on going. She said after running on dirt, the track/road running is just easy.

#11,029 ·
I second the interval training. It seems like a wash for your times at first, because your fast pace is offset by a recovery pace, but it really does work to improve your speed. What I do for my interval days is a 2 mile run. The first half mile is a warm up, then I will do light pole intervals for the next mile, followed by a half mile cool down. When I started off I would sprint from one light pole to the next, then jog at a slower than normal pace until my heart rate came back down, then start my sprint at the next light pole. Over time it's good to not fully recover before your next interval. So I would sprint one lightpole then recover for one, then sprint. I also built my way up to doing longer intervals. I did this kind of training once a week for a few months and I shaved 3 minutes off my next 5k race.

#11,030 ·
YouStupidBunny said:
I wouldn't mind getting an FJ. That was on my short list, but the timing was better for the TJ. I was renting a car until I found something I wanted. I was checking ads almost every hour looking for something I liked. If an ad for a FJ I liked popped up, there could be one parked in my garage now.

I was recently looking at Commander's. They went out of production, so the prices have come down. They look nice lifted and are confident offroad.
My wife and I have a Commander, it's only 2wd but rides well off the pavement. I have taken it places I know my 4wd Expedition would have gotten stuck(due to size/weight). Road noise is low and gas mileage is ok, 13/18. I do wish we got the 4wd but meh, it's fine for the wifes dd.

#11,031 ·
you suckers with soft tops. Do you ever go through the car wash with the soft top? The girl at Terrible's said that it was not a big deal. But I have a feeling if I asked her about going through with the top down she would say the same thing. On some of the forums I get mixed reviews, some say yes, some say no. Geoff from bestop say's go for it.... that they do it all the time when they take the shop truck for the weekend (must be returned clean).

I spent a good 2 hours cleaning the dust out of the interior after going a few weeks topless and washing it. Then I killed all of that on Saturday with a quick trail ride.

I guess I just got spoiled with the hard top and the unlimited washes for $16... I would wash it 2-3 times a week with the hard top on.

#11,032 ·
gregaf3 said:
you suckers with soft tops. Do you ever go through the car wash with the soft top? The girl at Terrible's said that it was not a big deal. But I have a feeling if I asked her about going through with the top down she would say the same thing. On some of the forums I get mixed reviews, some say yes, some say no. Geoff from bestop say's go for it.... that they do it all the time when they take the shop truck for the weekend (must be returned clean).

I spent a good 2 hours cleaning the dust out of the interior after going a few weeks topless and washing it. Then I killed all of that on Saturday with a quick trail ride.

I guess I just got spoiled with the hard top and the unlimited washes for $16... I would wash it 2-3 times a week with the hard top on.
I take mine to a place on Maryland across from UNLV where they do hand washes. The one time I tried an automatic wash the water came flying in through the zippers and such.

Or just be a man and drive it dirty like its supposed to be! Lol

#11,033 ·
Thanks guys! I am going to start interval training 1-2 times a week and I'll pay more attention to my stride length.

Greg, I took my last Jeep through the car wash all the time with the soft top. I never had a problem. On the other hand, I have seen some soft tops get pretty beat up by them. I would say that the call is yours. Once I put the windows back in this Jeep, I'll probably take it through.

#11,034 ·
gregaf3 said:

I also work for terribles the one in rainbow and westcliff. Ive washes thousands of jeeps over the years without problem. Some people say that the blowers stretch the tops. But i havent seen this yet.

#11,035 ·
What is this wash and jeep in the same sentence crap? I think mine would fall apart if I washed it due to the dirt holding things together! I can remember washing it twice in the 2+ years I've owned this one. I guess maybe my annual wash is coming up though. It usually involves hosing out the inside also.

#11,037 ·
What is this "kids" thing you speak of? Sounds like something that possibly would be the cause of selling many a toys I've built into my collection as well. My dog is enough of a headache... I have a feeling these "kids" would possibly also make my lifestyle feel much more like paycheck to paycheck and leave me wondering what happens outside of the walls of my property.

#11,038 ·
Thanks guys! I am going to start interval training 1-2 times a week and I'll pay more attention to my stride length.

Greg, I took my last Jeep through the car wash all the time with the soft top. I never had a problem. On the other hand, I have seen some soft tops get pretty beat up by them. I would say that the call is yours. Once I put the windows back in this Jeep, I'll probably take it through.
You're not doing a ton of mileage at a time, but one important thing to remember is bio-mechanics. Make sure you are running in the proper shoe that matches your gait type. This can make a big difference.

Like bunny said, also keep your stride short. It is more efficient and you can run longer. Another good tip is not to run too fast; This seems fast, but I'm very guilty of this. Interval training will definitely make you faster, but also do some distance training and up your mileage. It will help your body get used to the 3+ mile runs you do. I'd just throw a 5 mile in there once or twice a week.

#11,039 ·
What is this "kids" thing you speak of? Sounds like something that possibly would be the cause of selling many a toys I've built into my collection as well. My dog is enough of a headache... I have a feeling these "kids" would possibly also make my lifestyle feel much more like paycheck to paycheck and leave me wondering what happens outside of the walls of my property.
To give you a general idea I will throw out one cost... the highest at this moment. $324 a week for daycare. Basically I could buy a decent winch every 2 weeks, or payments on a 5 series bmw every month, A loaded Jeep every 2 years... I could go on and on.

But it is all worth it when you are holding your half asleep 4 year old steady at midnight as he is peeing... and he farts.

#11,040 ·
So I have been poking around on http://www.expeditionportal.com and the more and more I think about it I would like to eventually get or build a nice chaser trailer.

I have been on the fence about selling our quads and trailer to fund this, but I know the minute that I sell them the wife will already have the money spent. Something stupid like a new couch or something for the kids.

Adam, I know you said that you had a trailer that was in decent shape. How much does something like that set you back? It looks like it would be a good starting point to build something cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.