Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#1,081 ·
It's not definite yet. I have a Dr's appointment and 10:00. If it doesn't take long, I'll be going. If it takes a while or he orders lab work, it might be too late to go.

Also, the forecast is predicting thunderstorms in the late afternoon. It tends to rain earlier at altitude than it does in the valley. I don't want to risk flash floods out there. I heard flash floods hit quick, but nothing can prepare you when you're driving up a wash and seeing the water rise up over a foot in less than 5 minutes. It gets scary when the only way out is up that wash.

#1,082 ·
I bet. Haven't been there yet. I'll keep an eye on the forum and if you go, I'll try to meet up with you, I'd like to see the mines. I liked the anniversary mine by lake mead.

#1,083 ·
Im takeing my wife offroading. Question, How do i get to wheelers pass? @ google map it shows that i can take Pahrump then take the trail from there. How far is it to reach the summit? Is there some interesting stops like old mines and stuff. Will i pass the Pioneer saloon? If not which trail is it on? Any nice Camping spot out there?
Another thought, is there a trail that leads to Mt. Charleston? Thanks LV wheeler.

#1,084 ·
Pioneer Saloon is in the town of Goodsprings. You won't be close to it on either end of Wheeler's Pass.

Pioneer Saloon:
35°49'57.14"N , 115°25'55.11"W

This is the beginning of Wheeler's Pass from the Cold Creek side.
36°25'15.60"N , 115°43'55.18"W

Last time I went, the trail wasn't marked. A few people miss the turn heading into the mountains, so here is where you need to turn.
36°25'23.21"N , 115°44'26.72"W

Weather is already looking ugly this morning and the conditions get awful when it does. Looks like I'll be cancelling my trip today.

#1,085 ·
Im takeing my wife offroading. Question, How do i get to wheelers pass? @ google map it shows that i can take Pahrump then take the trail from there. How far is it to reach the summit? Is there some interesting stops like old mines and stuff. Will i pass the Pioneer saloon? If not which trail is it on? Any nice Camping spot out there?
Another thought, is there a trail that leads to Mt. Charleston? Thanks LV wheeler.
North on 95 about 40 miles to I think it called cold creek road by the prison. on my street GPS Wheeler Pass it was still a Road. On the west side there is some old Kilns

More info
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Wheeler's_Pass

#1,089 ·
Went up around the base of Frenchman mtn this afternoon on the southern side near sahara and found what looked like old mining works. Concrete slabs and columns tagged completely of course. Anyone have any idea what this was? It's like three levels tall and about fifty-seventy feet wide.

#1,090 ·
Dr's appointment went well and fast. Weather was overcast, but it looked like the worst of the rain was over, so we did end up exploring the Yellow Pine mines today. It was colder than we were expecting. Almost light jacket weather.

It's definitely worth a look. That place is incredible. Almost everywhere you look, there was another mine. We did explore a few. I know, stupid to enter, but we were very careful and carried lights and rope. Speaking of which, Sam's Club has 220 Lumen Cree LED flashlights for less than $20 now. The max LED lumen flashlights I've seen at the hardware stores is 145 and they were much more than $20. If you're in need of a high output flashlight, get them before they are gone!

The only issue we had with the area was another Jeeper out there blasting his rap music. Bass echoing all over th valley. Red 2-door JK. Chrome rims. If that was someone from here, dude...you're a tool. Turn the music down! I'm so old. :laugh:

We made our way from Yellow Pine to the south end of Cotton Pass. From there we exited north at Blue Diamond. Total trip, about 6 hours with frequent stops.

#1,096 ·
Here is a vertical mine / vent. Almost all of them are blocked by barb wire, but easy to get around. They really should seal them. You can see this one keeps going. We dropped a few rocks and it was a while before they stopped. If you get curious like we did and go past the barb wire barrier, please use extreme caution. The ground may appear steady, but there is lots of soft gypsum in the area. The ground can break lose with very little weight.

Attachments

#1,097 ·
There are so many webs of trails in this area. This is a place you can visit again and again and see something new every time. We began the trail here at the fire station:
35°50'11.86"N , 115°26'25.58"W

Take the fork left here to the mines:
35°51'48.31"N , 115°29'13.24"W

Terrain was very easy. Didn't use 4WD at all in that area. Highly recommended trail run. Thanks again, Mike for the tip. I live close, but never knew it was there.

#1,099 ·
frenchman mtn structures

heres a pic of the structures I decribed earlier. this is quite easy to get to, which is obvious per the excessive tagging on it. G's are lazy, so you know its aesy to find.

Attachments

#1,100 ·
thanks ysb for posting these gps #'s i really want to check these trails out. if any one is interested in going, id like to go back to the anniversary mine again soon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.