Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 525 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #7861
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Was he shot on the back in the yard or shot in the back yard? That definitely makes a difference. If he was shot in the back, he will have a very hard time convincing a jury why he felt his life was in danger!

Unread 03-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #7862
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus

And on that note, no , "Castle law" does not apply in Nevada, we essentially have castle doctrine lite. We have a stand your ground law but it doesn't justify any and all killings on your property, nor does it hold you civilly harmless even in the event that its ruled justified.

This comment has nothing to do with the circumstances of the shooting, nor my opinions on what should or should not be allowed, but you cant just shoot somebody for being in your yard. at least not in nevada.
If you want that, move to Texas! My friend says that's legal in Texas. Don't know how true it is, but I could believe it. It would make border ranches easier to secure!
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #7863
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

From what I have read, he was shot in the back yard when the owner saw him trying to get into the house. I have a feeling that if he was shot in the back then it would have been all over the news.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #7864
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
From what I have read, he was shot in the back yard when the owner saw him trying to get into the house. I have a feeling that if he was shot in the back then it would have been all over the news.
He should have taken a corner and waited for entry while on the phone with 911, then poppop!
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #7865
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
Was he shot on the back in the yard or shot in the back yard? That definitely makes a difference. If he was shot in the back, he will have a very hard time convincing a jury why he felt his life was in danger!
My bad, back yard, back and yard were on two different lines on my screen.

I know that in NC you have to make the person aware that you have a gun and if they continue in the act, you then can shoot, however if you give them warning of a firearm and they make an attempt to leave you can not stop them with the force of a firearm. You can however tackle them and beat them up and call the cops! Haha
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #7866
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
He should have taken a corner and waited for entry while on the phone with 911, then poppop!
How much you want a bet Deadmarcus has priors? The threat of going to jail isn't enough. It's just a part of culture to thieves. They will just get out, have their jail badge, and do it again. It will give them even more confidence. Maybe this will open some eyes. I home the home owner will be ok.
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #7867
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's why you have to be careful and keep your head if in that situation. The slightest mistake and you go to prison. You may be thinking you're protecting your family, but a jury may see it differently. That would so suck ballsacksweat!
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #7868
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Laws are set up to protect criminals more and more these days. If he would have tasered him or kicked his butt then he would probably be in a civil suit and maybe face assualt charges. I guess the only thing to do is bend over and take it in the rear and let strangers run all over your property. If they are unarmed and not attacking you your hands are tied.
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #7869
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Sounds iffy to me. Does anyone remember a few years ago an older gentleman was asleep with his wife when 2 burglers broke in and were armed. Old man grabs his dirty Harry .44 and killed the first in the house and caught the other after he had already ran down to the end of the street. It even seemed like one of the officers said it was one heck of a shot. Home owner was charged with killing the 2nd guy but nothing for the first.

Goes to show that if you're going to pull a gun you better make sure it is a last resort. If I ever catch some POS in my house with my wife home that will be the end. I don't play around with that **** and nobody else should either. You screw with my wife you will pay for it. This kind of BS gets me really worked up. Good night.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #7870
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What I hate is the double standard between law enforcement and private citizen threshold for the use of deadly force. SWAT can raid your home in the middle of the night and your Golden Retriever gets blown away because it wants to see what's going on. Meanwhile, they are free to let their K9 loose on you.

Criminals should live in fear that they will get blown away when they invade someone's property. A little deterrence goes a long way.
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #7871
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This just played on News 3

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/p.../25504/3368283
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #7872
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Homeowner will probably serve time, if you go by only what was on that video clip. One news channel says one thing, another says something else entirely. We'll see what happens. The one guy on the video talking about standing his ground is the typical favorite victim of criminals. Will put up only minimal resistance. If an intruder hears that from him and the neighbor says "I'm gonna blast till empty" who do you think will be the victim? Liberal laws are going too far to protect criminals who don't care about the very laws that protect them in cases like these. CA, IL, NY, MD, MI all have very strict gun ownership, carry and use laws. They also have the lowest crime rates too!(bulls hit). Why can't people make the connection. Strict gun laws=higher crime rates!
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #7873
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post
I know that in NC you have to make the person aware that you have a gun and if they continue in the act, you then can shoot, however if you give them warning of a firearm and they make an attempt to leave you can not stop them with the force of a firearm. You can however tackle them and beat them up and call the cops! Haha
So if you shoot, and kill the guy. Who the hell knows if you told him you had a gun? Either way he knows now.

I have no problems shooting someone in my house. If it is in my back yard, I am unloading the whole clip... then just saying I was scared for my life. He started charging me and the next thing I know is my slide was locked open and I was pulling the trigger but nothing happened.
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #7874
sirhk100

Pistol is for inside the house, Bat slid in the corner between some furniture in the hallway is to grab going out front or backdoor. If they're in the backyard they're not getting away cause there's no gate, they had to have actually hopped a fence or wall to get in and will have to do the same to get out. In the front yard they better be quick cause my yard isn't wide open, they've gotta get thru a gate there too... Pretty much, once they're in, they're in, escaping isn't super fast and easy. LOL, that's how I trap my victims!!! Duh!!! LOL

I'll take the court system for a self defense shooting inside my house and I'll take the fine and probation for an assault charge on my own property in my yard having an otherwise spotless record... Just the satisfaction that the person took a bat to the ribs is enough pleasure for me!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #7875
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I keep both of my side gates locked and I have a small courtyard area, which has a nice rusty gate that I can hear opening about 90% of the time. I work from home also, and I always have a handgun within arms reach. I think 15 rounds and one in the chamber should be enough. If the person looks shady I generally answer the door with it on my belt, or in my hand behind the door.

call me an arse, heartless, or what not. I have no problem taking someone down if it comes down to me or them, esp if they show intent. With that said, I am not heartless enough to shoot a random person just because they drive an FJ instead of a jeep haha.

In the event that something does happen, I have enough bleach, plastic wrap, a shovel, and I always keep the jeep over half a tank!!! And I found out that hydrogen peroxide is great for getting blood out of clothes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.