Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 515 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #7711
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
Which one is clearer and sounds better? I personally like the Uniden because it's small and it has larger knobs. I get frustrated with those little buttons.
Polka likes playing with large knobs...he said it right there!!

Unread 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #7712
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and sportsmans warehouse reopened!!!!!!! It's the one on centennial! Wish it was the Henderson store. . Gonna make a trip out thee soon!
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #7713
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
Oh, and sportsmans warehouse reopened!!!!!!! It's the one on centennial! Wish it was the Henderson store. . Gonna make a trip out thee soon!
Is it actually open. I heard it was opening but hadn't opened yet.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #7714
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
What CB to get?

Uniden 510

Or
Cobra 75 remote
Funny you mentioned a CB. I just got mine working right the other day. Today I was rewiring my stereo. The CB and stereo are in a Tuffy overhead and my wires were a bit short and pulled when I closed it.

I was on my driveway working and one of my neighbors was out walking his grand daughter. He stopped to talk. Nice guy. Retired Army radioman. We were talking about anything and naturally the conversation turned to my CB. He asked what it was putting out. I guessed 4 watts since that is the legal output. He asked if I wanted more output. Of course, I said yes and he went home.

Five minutes later, he had a meter that measures output. He had me key up my CB and he showed me that it was barely putting out 3 watts. 3.1 to be exact. He explained that CB manufacturers do that for two reasons.

1. There is a huge FCC fine if they distribute anything over the legal limit, so to stay well within the law they often dial it back. I guess that explains why most CB's have a usable range of about two miles.

2. Higher output can reduce the life of the CB and they want to be known as reliable.

When he said he asked if I wanted more output, I just figured he was going to tune my antenna. He did that too, but he also had me open up the CB. He said he was going to tell me what to do, but didn't want to do it himself just in case it didn't work anymore.

First thing he had me do was increase the CB modulation. Honestly, I have no idea what that is, but if you look at the picture, it's the blue and white knob on the left. Counter-clockwise will increase the modulation.

To the right, you'll see another dial. That one is for AC watts. It was covered in a waxy plastic from the factory. I had to scrape it off to access the adjustment knob. Counter-clockwise again increases. From what his meter showed, each quarter turn is almost another full watt of output.

This model CB, Cobra 18 WX ST II, capped out at a max of 12 watts output. He said both knobs relate to power output. Toggling both knobs, we balanced the output at exactly 10 watts.

After we put it together, he went to drive his grand daughter home and he was still picking me up just over 6 miles away loud and clear. He said it would be able to throw a signal much further than that.

I'm sure it can be done with other models of CB. Very likely with most Cobra's. Google will probably find you some info specific to your model. Very cheap and useful mod.

I know 10 watts output isn't a lot, but it's a definite improvement over factory.
1.jpg   2.jpg  
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #7715
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Probably should take it to the tire shop and have the shift knob balanced. I don't remember who but I know one of the shops offers lifetime balance. Might be worth while depending how hard you use the big black hard shaft!
What makes a tire go out of balance? Is it just losing the weights, tire wear or does the tire move around the wheel?
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #7716
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

I have to buy a new cb. I currently have one a guy gave me out of a boat. Looks really old and it gets interference from the HID head lights.
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #7717
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Marine radios are VHF. They won't work with CB's. I was at Fry's recently. CB's are around $40 and up. There is a nice Cobra model with bluetooth too.

Just checked Craigslist. Some good, cheap ones there. Every now and then I see a guy there selling CB amps.
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #7718
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny

What makes a tire go out of balance? Is it just losing the weights, tire wear or does the tire move around the wheel?
Normally its tire ware. But also chipping of the tread and losing weight could cause it
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #7719
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Mine are losing nubs and I'm starting to feel a vibration around 50MPH, but it goes away a few MPH faster. Seems like a balance issue. Guess it's time to have that done. Thanks.
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #7720
sirhk100

I'm telling you though, make sure to request to have the tire on the big black shaft balanced too or it's going to throw the whole ying and yang thing outta whack and that's not something you want to f with!

Interesting on the CB... Makes me want to go rip mine open before I even install it! LOL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #7721
smiiile
2012 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio

Is it actually open. I heard it was opening but hadn't opened yet.
You may not need to wait for the store to open of you have a crowbar and some guts - they have had several shipping boxes (pressboard boxes not metal shipping containers) out back of the store for weeks
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #7722
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
I'm telling you though, make sure to request to have the tire on the big black shaft balanced too or it's going to throw the whole ying and yang thing outta whack and that's not something you want to f with!
You weren't kidding about your designs. I was looking through a catalog and some of your competitors looked like all they did was add their name to it. Is that legal to steal someone elses design like that?
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #7723
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Came across this site:
http://www.radiomods.co.nz/modspage.html

It has specific info to mod various CB models. I don't really understand some of the schematic talk, but you men are smart. You can figure it out.

I found a site that explained modulation. I still don't know what it is and now I'm more confused about it.
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #7724
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
What CB to get?

Uniden 510

Or
Cobra 75 remote
I have the Cobra 75 remote, I bought it for $105 from 4 wheel parts after they matched the price Walmart had advertised for it. I run a big mouth external CB speaker with it, but I have it mounted in my console, and flush mounted right above the cup holder (super clean), I can attach it when I need it and go!
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #7725
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I was looking at the Cobra 75 at Fry's. It's $85 now. It got pretty good reviews and was on my short list, but I had that space in my overhead console I wanted to fill.

Some good stuff there:
http://www.frys.com/category/Outpost...dios/CB+Radios

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.